Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Gem (Ruby) Help!

I can't seem to do a system update for some reason. It gives me a version error whenever I run 'sudo gem update --system' ... yet, gem update works fine. It's driving me nuts!

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Sorry I can't help you but that's some nice wallpaper. What resolution is it? Can we get a link?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, so the problem as I see it, is that little thing shaped like some sort of fruit in the upper left hand corner of the screen.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

We can also see your last name, might want to blurr that.

Looks basically like a null pointer exception in Java, whatever is doing the updating is getting back a null reference then trying to check the version of whatever it is.

Looks like a path error or maybe permissions, wherever it's trying to find the Gems is either the wrong place or it doesn't have permissions to do whatever it is trying to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Sorry I can't help you but that's some nice wallpaper. What resolution is it? Can we get a link?
this
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
We can also see your last name, might want to blurr that.
Whoops, good call.

I seem to have fixed the issue. I just installed and ran a specific update gem, and it seems to have taken care of the rest. I can now update my system gem again! I think the whole issue stems from OSX coming with ruby and rails pre-installed out of the box, but me installing newer versions in my /usr/local/bin instead of the system default /usr/bin. From what I understand, local is the better way to go though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
http://www3.telus.net/kblovett/2002_..._2560x1440.jpg

Edit: I tried to zip up my entire wallpaper folder, but it comes out to just over 250MB compressed. I have about 80 wallpapers of various nature and city scenes, and they are all 2560x1440 resolution. It's a shame I can't upload them somewhere. Most people just give me a usb stick to dump them on. Mind you, I'm sure I could find a place online to store them... I wonder how Dropbox is for that kind of stuff...

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-02-2011 at 07:38 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've found the easiest way is to leave the system ruby alone and use rvm to handle different rubies. Works like a charm.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah I installed that earlier and started messing around with it a bit.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Whoops, good call.

I seem to have fixed the issue. I just installed and ran a specific update gem, and it seems to have taken care of the rest. I can now update my system gem again! I think the whole issue stems from OSX coming with ruby and rails pre-installed out of the box, but me installing newer versions in my /usr/local/bin instead of the system default /usr/bin. From what I understand, local is the better way to go though.

http://www3.telus.net/kblovett/2002_..._2560x1440.jpg

Edit: I tried to zip up my entire wallpaper folder, but it comes out to just over 250MB compressed. I have about 80 wallpapers of various nature and city scenes, and they are all 2560x1440 resolution. It's a shame I can't upload them somewhere. Most people just give me a usb stick to dump them on. Mind you, I'm sure I could find a place online to store them... I wonder how Dropbox is for that kind of stuff...
That is how I do all my sharing of stuff like that. So simple just to toss in the public folder and send a link.

If you don't already have it: Sign up with my referrer link ( here ) and you get an extra 250MB of space (and I do as well)