Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #121
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I would be pretty upset if they did this and it had an impact on trading games in. I am never going to waste a month of bandwidth downloading a whole ps3 game but not being able to trade in old games at eb games might just drive me from the system, I do that all the time.

Couple that with my memories of systems like starforce and I'm pretty skeptical.
better get used to it, developers absolutely hate the used game industry, which doesn't exist on the PC. so the natural course to take with consoles becoming PC's themselves is to take the same route with CD-Keys and online activations

i actually hope this prompts Sony to start looking at other game distribution methods. if i could buy and download games from Steam on my PS3, that would win me over completely. i find on the PC at least that there's very little incentive to pirate games anymore, since i just have to wait for them to go on sale on Steam for a reasonable price. i lost count on how many titles i bought during their holiday sales
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #122
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

So the latest firmware update appears to have a rootkit in it! It's got code that checks the PSN network for arbitrary code to execute, so Sony can basically do whatever they want every time your PS3 connects, executing code that wasn't in the firmware to begin with.

Interesting move on Sony's part, but really that shouldn't be allowed unless they are up front about it.

But given Sony's history with rootkits, not surprising.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #123
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
So the latest firmware update appears to have a rootkit in it! It's got code that checks the PSN network for arbitrary code to execute, so Sony can basically do whatever they want every time your PS3 connects, executing code that wasn't in the firmware to begin with.

Interesting move on Sony's part, but really that shouldn't be allowed unless they are up front about it.

Wow - because it worked so well when they did it to CDs.

You'd think that Sony would have learned - piss off the nerds and they will make life difficult for you. I bet that the encryption wouldn't have been hacked in the first place if they hadn't taken the hard line with the linux tinkerers.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #124
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

Ridiculous, Sony. According to this article they probably have a right to do it based on the EULA:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21845...station_3.html

Maybe it'll at least take care of these losers:
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/m...ends-20110118/

Someone was using an aimbot on me the other day in MW2.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #125
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
You'd think that Sony would have learned - piss off the nerds and they will make life difficult for you. I bet that the encryption wouldn't have been hacked in the first place if they hadn't taken the hard line with the linux tinkerers.
Exactly. For the most part, the people that want Linux on the PS3 are the same people that have the knowledge to hack the system to force it to run Linux, and then by extension almost anything else.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote