Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #41
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Not even close. In fact, the Dreamcast was the loser in that whole generation simply because it openly allowed burned games from day 1.
I thought it was the PS2 that caused the downfall of the Dreamcast. It's a little too bad, because I still have my Dreamcast and except for the brutal controllers, the thing was pretty sweet. I still play Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on it once in awhile.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #42
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Yeah, I always assumed it was the fact that it came out in the middle of all the other console life cycles.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #43
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

True enough...for whatever reason I always associate the Dreamcast along with the PS1 and N64.

My friend had a Dreamcast and I don't remember playing a single legit copy of a game on it.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #44
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I use my ps3 mainly for music and movies off the HDD. I hope to god someone can allow me to sort folders/files the way i want. If im lookng for an artist/title that begins with an L or something it takes an eternity.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #45
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That didn't take long. The first Custom Firmware has been released.

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/01/04/...gs-to-the-xmb/

The only thing it adds is the option to install homebrew packages to the XMB. There are currently no properly signed homebrew packages available yet, so this Custom firmware is more a proof of concept at this point.

I decided to test it out myself. Installing it was as easy as putting the file on a USB stick and choosing the "Update from storage media" option in the PS3 menu. The system booted just fine and everything worked. The new options were under the game menu. They didn't do anything however as I had no packages to install.

I decided to go back to the official firmware, since this modification really didn't do anything. I can't wait to see what they eventually come up with.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #46
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would love a good media server interface. Since I have 3 ps3 in my house and don't really play games on them at all something with a nice interface and flashy would be great
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #47
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet. Media centres, SNES and MAME here we come.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #48
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I would love a good media server interface. Since I have 3 ps3 in my house and don't really play games on them at all something with a nice interface and flashy would be great
Quote:
There are quite a few homebrew programs available already, this includes emulators for some systems. The problem is, they only work with the old PS3 hack methods. Once these homebrew developers use Sony's key to "sign" their code, there will be a slew of programs to install.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #49
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I hope there will be some decent HD filters for a SNES emulator if you're going to use it on the PS3...I can imagine 512x350 or whatever the SNES resolution is stretched in 1080p would look awful.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #50
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Please keep this thread updated.

I have one interest in this and 1 alone. I want to be able to play GT5 without waiting 15 minutes for a track to load. I own the game have 0 interest in piracy but I would love nothing more then throwing GT5 on to a HHD for quick loading and so it becomes playable.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #51
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post

I have one interest in this and 1 alone. I want to be able to play GT5 without waiting 15 minutes for a track to load. I own the game have 0 interest in piracy but I would love nothing more then throwing GT5 on to a HHD for quick loading and so it becomes playable.

Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #52
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post

When you were installing the game, didn't you choose the option to install the 8gigs?? It took over an hour but it was worth it. Tracks take about 1 minute to load for me. I got the game and a wheel/pedals for my bday. I can't stop playing it!

I'm looking forward to beefing up my PS3. I was pretty choked when the evil update came out that shut down all 3rd party software. 1 for the good guys. But yeah, I agree that we'll prob see the PS4 ahead of schedule.
jayocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #53
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

SWEET! I can't wait to update this stupid browser! As well I am looking very forward to cool third party software! The ability to view H264 and MKV via streaming!

Sony did it to themselves! I believe minor protection (like game protection) would have been a better idea than the total PS3 restriction that Sony uses today.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #54
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

in my humble opinion and 1st hand experience with the situation, i think the dreamcast failed because sega abused its loyal fanbase like me disasters like the 32x, the 32xcd, and saturn

dreamcast should have dominated and would have if sega didnt abuse our trust
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #55
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

But they gave you "blast processing"!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #56
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, will this allow me to play PS2 games on my PS3? Or is that a completely different issue?

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #57
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger_4_ View Post
So, will this allow me to play PS2 games on my PS3? Or is that a completely different issue?
Completely different, backwards compatible PS3 have hardware specific to them that allow them to play PS2 games. Earlier PS3 phats had the hardware but this was deleted as a cost cutting measure. Even if they have the libraries in the PS3 software to run PS2 games, the EE and a few other necessary components have been deleted to cut costs in the slim and some phats.

That being said, Sony recently put out a patent for an attachment to slims to play PS2 games, whether a product for that comes out is a different story.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #58
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Theoretically though you will be able to if someone develops a PS2 emulator to run on custom firmware.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #59
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Theoretically though you will be able to if someone develops a PS2 emulator to run on custom firmware.
That too, but nothing exists yet and emulators have usually taken a good amount of time to get right.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #60
User Name
Backup Goalie

Exp:

First app installed on the ps3! Sony vows to fix it with a software/network update..

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/g...ows-to-fix-vi/