Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #881
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Hockey is serious business!
Old 05-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #882
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That's what I'm afraid of. The Oilers seem to alway have a hot start and the Flames sputter out of the gate. This will basically be a new season.
Pretty much. By the time Gio and the other slow starters get their legs under them, the first series will be over. Meanwhile the Oilers always seem to come out of the gates quickly as who wants to face McDavid's speed in the opening round when your defensemen are still finding their way?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #883
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Pretty much. By the time Gio and the other slow starters get their legs under them, the first series will be over. Meanwhile the Oilers always seem to come out of the gates quickly as who wants to face McDavid's speed in the opening round when your defensemen are still finding their way?
I kind of get the feeling this is the reason some don't want the league to finish this season.

I get it, that would suck.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #884
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
If you are that sure, it sounds like there is easy money to be made.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #885
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Oilers winning would suck.

As for the Flames, at the end of the day... if they win the cup, great. If not, I really hope there are major changes during the off-season.

I will be pretty annoyed if they somehow make the third round of the playoffs and the GM decides he wants to give the same core of guys another shot next year. I think the previous playoffs and most of this season is a bigger sample size than a modified playoff format.

In other words, the Flames ####ting the bed in the playoffs should not lead to excuses because of the modified circumstances. Every team will be dealing with something similar.
You would be annoyed if they take out St. Louis in a 7 game series lol. Why am I not surprised
Old 05-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #886
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You would be annoyed if they take out St. Louis in a 7 game series lol. Why am I not surprised
Yeah, I would be because the Blues would have most likely kicked the Flames ass if things didn't stop. Getting a few lucky wins in a modified playoffs doesnt mean much.

Its okay, you can continue to stick your head in the GMs butt and appreciate mediocrity. Why am I not surprised.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 11:44 AM   #887
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Yeah, I would be because the Blues would have most likely kicked the Flames ass if things didn't stop. Getting a few lucky wins in a modified playoffs doesnt mean much.

Its okay, you can continue to stick your head in the GMs butt and appreciate mediocrity. Why am I not surprised.
So if the Flames win...it's "lucky"?

And its not a modified playoff. In fact it could be the most wins ever to claim the cup.

Im not sure how a team could go to the semi finals and a "fan" of the team actually be upset by that.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #888
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Most of us are excited about the prospect of having hockey to watch, and a couple of folks are already griping.

“It’s a sham!” “McDavid will be the only guy who is ready!” “I will be pissed off if the Flames win a couple of rounds!”

How about this? Players will be entering the playoffs healthy and well rested, not all dinged up from a season worth of grind! Could be the best playoffs ever!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #889
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

How about this? Players will be entering the playoffs healthy and well rested, not all dinged up from a season worth of grind! Could be the best playoffs ever!
I am willing to bet some of them already have their summer beer bellies on.

It will actually be an interesting measure of character to see which players stayed in shape the best over the past ~3 months.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #890
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Be honest - if a team you don't like wins this tournament, this forum does not have a font big enough for the Asterisk you will attach to it. That's just the human nature of sports fandom.

I hope the tournament is as fair as can be, so the winner is not always tainted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #891
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Be honest - if a team you don't like wins this tournament, this forum does not have a font big enough for the Asterisk you will attach to it. That's just the human nature of sports fandom.

I hope the tournament is as fair as can be, so the winner is not always tainted.
This is so stupid..

24 teams with an equal chance to win. The best team will win period
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #892
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

I just dont understand the asterik thing.

Like....why?

Teams will still need to win at least 16 games to claim the cup. Back in the day you needed to win 8. Should all those be considered tainted as well?

This regular season has been longer than 2 other fairly recent ones that crowned winners. Should those not count any longer?

There is absolutely zero things that this has changed other than a pandemic that could never have had a contingency plan in place for it.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #893
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
This is so stupid..

24 teams with an equal chance to win. The best team will win period
So if Arizona won, you would conclude they are the best team in the NHL, and not the benefactor of some very unusual circumstances?
Old 05-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #894
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

Agree with the last sentence of course.

I don’t necessarily see it the same for that first part. Other lockout shortened seasons do not get asterisks.

I accept the reality that the world is different. The proposed format rewards the top teams, protects the teams that were out if it by excluding them, and gives a fighting chance to the teams that still had a shot. Then it’s a normal 4 round, 16 win path to the Cup, with a level playing field

There is definitely room for them to botch calls and end up with the usual type of asterisks (Dallas, Tampa Bay in the finals, or the 5 minute major for the Pavelski face plant - although it didn’t end up in a Cup win, Vegas had as good a shot as anyone)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #895
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
If you are that sure, it sounds like there is easy money to be made.
Maybe the fact that the Flames haven't won a season opening game for a decade has me a little jaded.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #896
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe the fact that the Flames haven't won a season opening game for a decade has me a little jaded.
OK...but not sure how that has any bearing on a playoff opening series?
Old 05-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #897
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think they should do it... will be entertaining as heck and I have no issues with them trying to make money.

I don't think the winner should get the Stanley Cup and I don't think they should ever do a 24 team format again as it is nothing more than a cash grab under ordinary circumstance. This is not a proper SCFs based on a full regular season. Hand out a trophy but maintain integrity of the cup. Seeing the oilers win the cup after a mini tourney with them having home ice for the every game and no fans watching would probably finish me on hockey.

Also even now I think 24 teams is BS. Arbitrarily drawing the line at 24 is no better than drawing it at 16. Either way it is a line in the sand so why 24? Just go with 16 and get rid of the byes and any other advantages like host cities being NHL sites. Neutral site 16 teams. Pick a city whose team didnt qualify so u have an NHL rink but nobody sleeping in their own beds and getting their own dressing room boards and ice.

Flames get screwed here imo. They made the playoffs based on games played and winning % and points just like the top 8 but they have to play a an extra round and a team in the jets that didn't qualify based on games played
Old 05-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #898
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Seeing there's a possibility that near certain non-playoff teams like the Habs and Hawks can win the whole thing it's a given this the winner of this tournament will likely have an asterisk next to it. It's not a traditional NHL playoffs in that teams come in cold and will not be afforded a few games to get in game shape or up to speed. It's likely there will be several upsets and you can make a good case that the teams with byes will be at a disadvantage playing their first game in months against an opponent fresh off a series. There's nothing about this tournament that relates to a typical NHL season and playoffs as it's more akin to a World Cup of Hockey than NHL playoffs so I think regardless of what team wins they deserve an asterisk next to them.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-22-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #899
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So if Arizona won, you would conclude they are the best team in the NHL, and not the benefactor of some very unusual circumstances?
... That is kind of how it has always worked. If you win the Stanley Cup, you are the best team that year. It doesn't mean you necessarily have the best team, but you performed when it mattered. See: Tampa Bay vs. Columbus Blue Jackets, 2019.
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #900
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I think they should do it... will be entertaining as heck and I have no issues with them trying to make money.

I don't think the winner should get the Stanley Cup and I don't think they should ever do a 24 team format again as it is nothing more than a cash grab under ordinary circumstance. This is not a proper SCFs based on a full regular season. Hand out a trophy but maintain integrity of the cup. Seeing the oilers win the cup after a mini tourney with them having home ice for the every game and no fans watching would probably finish me on hockey.

Also even now I think 24 teams is BS. Arbitrarily drawing the line at 24 is no better than drawing it at 16. Either way it is a line in the sand so why 24? Just go with 16 and get rid of the byes and any other advantages like host cities being NHL sites. Neutral site 16 teams. Pick a city whose team didnt qualify so u have an NHL rink but nobody sleeping in their own beds and getting their own dressing room boards and ice.

Flames get screwed here imo. They made the playoffs based on games played and winning % and points just like the top 8 but they have to play a an extra round and a team in the jets that didn't qualify based on games played
I definitely agree on 24 teams possibly screwing some teams.

Looking at the standings, there are really 4 wild card teams in the west and 5 in the east that are still in it for the 2 slots on each side

Too bad there are 5 in the east because it would be easier logistically to add in 4 more teams in total (2 east, 2 west) and then sort things out
Closed Thread