Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #41
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavalry defeated Whitecaps U23 2-0 in a closed door friendly this afternoon. Trialist Danny Deakin and Malyk Hamilton with the goals. The Whitecaps side started four players with MLS contracts, so that has to be a promising result.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/soccer...reseason-match

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #42
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the 3 players mentioned earlier has been announced. Cavalry sign Mauro Eustaquio, formerly of Ottawa Fury, FC Edmonton, Penn FC and the Canadian youth national teams.

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/article/c...-eustaquio-can

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #43
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The reason for a friendly to be "closed door" would be....?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #44
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's a scrimmage, presumably.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:19 AM   #45
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Not alot of room for spectators in that facility anyway.
Maybe 100, along the mezzanine railing?
Old 03-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #46
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

New TV spot that for CPL that played during the Nations League broadcast:

https://canpl.ca/video/watch-cpl-spo...ague-broadcast
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #47
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Club is announcing an international striker tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:05 AM   #48
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In a Q&A, Ian Allison said that members would be able to purchase individual match tickets from the 25th of March. Can any members say what's available for the first match?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 03-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #49
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
In a Q&A, Ian Allison said that members would be able to purchase individual match tickets from the 25th of March. Can any members say what's available for the first match?
It looks like behind the goals (sections 2xx and 4xx) is nearly all sold (granted, they are small stands). Price point $27.85 including fees and taxes. The main stand (sections 1xx) I would say looks to be about 60% full, with price points of $37.30, $60.40, $86.65, and $97.15. There is a definite preference to the "shoulders" where the lower price points are (80% sold) than the centre (50% sold).

I still think that the upper end tickets have priced themselves out of the market, but time will tell. Hopefully my assumptions about the market, economy, product, etc. are wrong and those centre sections get filled.

Myself and a friend (and also a CP member) are thinking of taking in the opener (leaving our kids at home for the first one so we can better explore). Once game pack details are announced, I'll still be hoping to make one of those work.

Two caveats: These are just eyeballed numbers. And this is before the general public has had a chance to buy.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 03-27-2019 at 08:11 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #50
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, I've got an email saying that single game tickets are now available. I did not initially used by $50 deposit for season tickets because of time commitment and such, but I don't know if I can apply the $50 towards these single tickets.

I had emailed the club and they have not responded.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #51
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks Jimmy Stang! I'm hoping to grab my niece and nephew tickets in the corner near the Foot Soldiers for the first match. Hopefully there will still be some when it goes to general sale.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 03-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #52
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The second of my three signings referenced earlier has now been announced. Cavalry have signed French striker Dominique Malonga.

Has some prior experience in Serie A with Torino and Cesena, although he has played in the second divisions in Italy, Spain, Scotland, Switzerland and Greece since.

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/article/i...ith-cavalry-fc

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #53
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The second of my three signings referenced earlier has now been announced. Cavalry have signed French striker Dominique Malonga.

Has some prior experience in Serie A with Torino and Cesena, although he has played in the second divisions in Italy, Spain, Scotland, Switzerland and Greece since.

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/article/i...ith-cavalry-fc
Good signing. I think I remember watching him when he played for Torino. If he's who I think he is, he isn't really fast, but he's strong.

Players like this are good for the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #54
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought 6 tickets for the home opener. A rag tag bunch including myself, CP's own Howie_16, my brother-in-law, my English dad, and my Italian father in law. Last but not least an unexpected mutual friend who is a colleague of Howie's, but also a rare fellow Norwich City supporter who I randomly met at a wiener dog meetup a few years back. Can't make this stuff up.

Ended up in 107 at a cost of $64/ticket all in.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #55
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Bought 6 tickets for the home opener. A rag tag bunch including myself, CP's own Howie_16, my brother-in-law, my English dad, and my Italian father in law. Last but not least an unexpected mutual friend who is a colleague of Howie's, but also a rare fellow Norwich City supporter who I randomly met at a wiener dog meetup a few years back. Can't make this stuff up.

Ended up in 107 at a cost of $64/ticket all in.
Looking forward to it! Interesting to see these different club allegiances within this group of ours (Norwich City x 2, Norwich City & Aberdeen for our mutual friend, Hamburg SV for me, the small Italian team of your father-in-law supports that I can't recall, etc.) come together to cheer on a brand new team in Cavalry FC. We should look into where the Foot Soldiers will go pre-game as well!
Old 03-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #56
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
Looking forward to it! Interesting to see these different club allegiances within this group of ours (Norwich City x 2, Norwich City & Aberdeen for our mutual friend, Hamburg SV for me, the small Italian team of your father-in-law supports that I can't recall, etc.) come together to cheer on a brand new team in Cavalry FC. We should look into where the Foot Soldiers will go pre-game as well!
Our group has supporters of Bayern, Liverpool, Chelsea, Stoke, Birmingham, Guangzhou Evergrande, Toronto FC, Whitecaps, Portland, etc. The only thing that matters is supporting the local club. Every other club comes second.

We're still waiting on the club to find out what pubs they will be bussing supporters from. I know the Ship and Anchor has been in contact with the club, and that is the preferred bar amongst supporters for pre-games.

Last edited by shermanator; 03-28-2019 at 08:50 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #57
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Tommy on the Fan 960 this morning - says Spruce Meadows is prepared to expand stadium to 15,000 to 20,000, if the team is a success.

All teams having their training camp in the Dominican Republic.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #58
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Our group has supporters of Bayern, Liverpool, Chelsea, Stoke, Birmingham, Guangzhou Evergrande, Toronto FC, Whitecaps, Portland, etc. The only thing that matters is supporting the local club. Every other club comes second.

We're still waiting on the club to find out what pubs they will be bussing supporters from. I know the Ship and Anchor has been in contact with the club, and that is the preferred bar amongst supporters for pre-games.
Won't they have something set in that plaza for pre-game? That makes a lot of sense to me as people can get there, have a few drinks and walk down to the stadium?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #59
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Won't they have something set in that plaza for pre-game? That makes a lot of sense to me as people can get there, have a few drinks and walk down to the stadium?
I think they will have something in the plaza as well. It will make sense for people who want to drive or take transit down before the game. The supporters group wants to pre-game at a pub though.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #60
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The supporters group wants to pre-game at a pub though.
If the first game on May 4 starts at 1:30pm, how early would the pre-game pub session start? Would this be open to those not (yet) part of the Foot Soldiers supporters group?
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge