Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Old 02-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #1261
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm
Old 02-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #1262
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

We need more context but I don't understand why so many people are there. IIRC they are booking at 10 minute intervals (?). Assume this location has 10 vaccination stations (WAG) they are pumping 10 people through every 10 minutes. If you show up 20 minutes prior to your appointment there should be max 20 people lined up. But assume because they are elderly someone accompanies them. So maybe 40 people tops. Why are there so many more here?

If people are showing up early they need to be told to stay in their vehicles until it's time (dentist, Dr, physio, hair etc. all do this).

If more than 1 person is accompanying an elderly person that is not cool either.

I know there are plenty of reasons why this lineup may be so large but I'd wager much of it is due to people not following common sense.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #1263
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

A journalist in the twitter thread said appointments were running >1 hr behind schedule where the video was taken.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1365059853631315969
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #1264
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, delays would've been my guess. Even just taking a couple of minutes longer per appointment will have a cascading effect by midday leading to a long line. The Pfizer vaccine in particular is a bit of a PITA to handle for whoever has to dilute it, mix it, and prepare the syringes with zero waste (and that can't really be done ahead of time), so it's possible that with the first mass vaccination sites you're having people handle it that are still working out how to deal with the idiosyncrasies of it.

They probably should've anticipated or reacted to the delays though and had a little better crowd control.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #1265
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ever see a lineup at a buffet before it opens up at 4pm? What do you think the target demographic of that line is? My parents are starting to get that way saying we have to show up at some place at 4:30 or we wont get a spot even after we all ate a late lunch.

Now imagine its something that is potentially life saving and not just a meal with the kids.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sluggo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 05:23 PM   #1266
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, if they're anything like my parents as they got older, they're showing up a minimum of a half hour before their appointment time. Even worse if they're coming from out of town or even a longish distance in town, especially in the winter.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #1267
agulati
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

+9000 doses announced today. (326 more people fully immunized)
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #1268
Knut

Exp:

That is promising. Get up to 10,000 per day and if deliveries stay stable then we are good.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #1269
chedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
We need more context but I don't understand why so many people are there. IIRC they are booking at 10 minute intervals (?). Assume this location has 10 vaccination stations (WAG) they are pumping 10 people through every 10 minutes. If you show up 20 minutes prior to your appointment there should be max 20 people lined up. But assume because they are elderly someone accompanies them. So maybe 40 people tops. Why are there so many more here?

If people are showing up early they need to be told to stay in their vehicles until it's time (dentist, Dr, physio, hair etc. all do this).

If more than 1 person is accompanying an elderly person that is not cool either.

I know there are plenty of reasons why this lineup may be so large but I'd wager much of it is due to people not following common sense.
Exact same thing happened to my spouse when she got her shots (front line health) in Calgary in January and last week. Had a set time booked and still had to line up and wait an hour after said time. Incompetence runs deep with this government and ahs.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #1270
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My parents have rescheduled my 91 year old grandma's appointment until mid March in order to try and avoid the disaster of a situation at these vaccine sites.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #1271
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
That is promising. Get up to 10,000 per day and if deliveries stay stable then we are good.
Until mid March with the big Moderna uplift. From then on you need about 20k per day if you look at the Q2 deliveries plans. So would be good to see a nice steady increase in weekday vaccinations over the next two weeks.

Despite the poor roll out vaccines are getting in arms.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 09:54 PM   #1272
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Until mid March with the big Moderna uplift. From then on you need about 20k per day if you look at the Q2 deliveries plans. So would be good to see a nice steady increase in weekday vaccinations over the next two weeks.

Despite the poor roll out vaccines are getting in arms.
Higher even. Alberta should be getting about 91-92K Pfizer doses a week starting in April and a Q2 average of 99K a week. Moderna's specific deliveries haven't been released, but based on the 12M estimate for Q2 that would be an average of about 110K a week to Alberta (I'm assuming the demand from the territories will largely be satisfied with Q1 shipments). So the average for Q2 will work out to nearly 30K shots a day plus any other vaccines that get approved and delivered. And while April sounds far off, it's just over 5 weeks from now.

I also looked at the long term numbers again. Based on a 6-week interval, we should have enough Pfizer and Moderna doses by the end of June to give about 19M people at least a dose (about 10M fully vaccinated and 9M with 1st dose). Looking strictly in terms of age and assuming 85% uptake, that'd be everyone over 35 who wanted one with those doses.

Add in very modest amounts of AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson (say 4M and 2M respectively), and it's more like 25M with at least a dose, which is 85% of the population over 20 years old (i.e. likely every adult who wants it). Obviously there are caveats with that. That's delivered doses by the end of June, not administered, so it'd take longer (particularly if the rollout is messy); and supply might get disrupted which would slow things down considerably as well; and we would need to continue vaccinating beyond then to get everyone fully done. But on the other hand, Q2 shipments could all arrive on time just like Q1 ones are looking like they will, and there could easily be higher amounts of AZ, J&J, and possibly Novavax than the fairly conservative numbers I mentioned above.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 11:19 PM   #1273
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just had an argument with my wife after finding out she doesn't want the vaccine because "it's too new" and therefore we can't know the long-term effects. The women in her hair salon were gossiping about "a couple that died" after getting the vaccine. There could be thousands who died after taking it that we don't know about. <sigh>

Of course, when I mentioned the possibility of not being able to travel internationally without having had the vaccine, she changed her tune. I don't know if that will be an eventuality or not.

I don't know how we will reconcile this regarding our 18 month old daughter.
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:32 PM   #1274
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s her position on other childhood vaccines?

Is she anti-vaccine or hesitant about this vaccine?

If she is vaccine hesitant then going through that no steps have been skipped in the creation of the vaccine. The biggest difference in time is so to the large trial size and how widespread Covid was so statistically significant thresholds were reached quickly to publish results.

Also if she chooses not to get it at some point in her life she will get Covid. Covid has a reasonable risk of death depending on age. So perhaps trying to compare the two risks would work.

However the above only works of her fear is rational and based on not having enough information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #1275
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

AstraZeneca is now approved in Canada.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:00 AM   #1276
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
AstraZeneca is now approved in Canada.
Hmm.... not sure how I feel about this. While it's great to have more vaccines, it just seems like such a second rate option compared to the others. I certainly hope when my turn comes around, I can get Pfizer or Moderna.
Amethyst is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:06 AM   #1277
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Hmm.... not sure how I feel about this. While it's great to have more vaccines, it just seems like such a second rate option compared to the others. I certainly hope when my turn comes around, I can get Pfizer or Moderna.
You feel fantastic.

100% effective against preventing severe disease and death.

The only concern is the SA/California variants.

Look at the UK Covid stats for a jurisdiction that has significant AZ use
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:08 AM   #1278
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It only appears that way when you look at the reported efficacy.

The impact on hospitalization, deaths, and asymptomatic transmission are all positives.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #1279
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds like 500,000 AZ doses in Q1 from India, 1.5 million more in Q2. Then there is the does through CoVax and from AZ themselves.

A very good day, and this helps advance the timelines for people getting vaccinated significantly, which opendoor detailed in his post here: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=1222
Old 02-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #1280
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

So based on the Serum Institute and COVAX amounts, that's about 33M doses by the end of June. Plus whatever they get from AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson. Even if they only managed to get 25% of their Q2 + Q3 amounts from the latter two, that'd be a little over 40M doses, enough for about 21-22M people (depending on the J&J amount). And once you consider the dosing intervals, that's more like 25M people getting their 1st shot from those doses, which is about 90% of the 20+ year old population.

Obviously all the caveats about those being deliveries vs actually administered shots, possible supply disruptions, etc. apply, but still encouraging news.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post: