Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #1021
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also why would you wait until the literal end of the international break to do this? If they did this at the beginning at least Mourinho would have had some time to get that bus revved up.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 11-19-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #1022
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
has Levy lost his mind? What the hell.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1196882943001710599
You posted right before me and I was thinking Levy's been losing it since before I saw that tweet.

Jose Mourinho is completely useless unless you shovel truckloads of money at him. Even then its hit and miss. He seems like the antithesis of a manager that Daniel Levy would ever even consider.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #1023
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mourinho for just this year actually makes a lot of sense. Long term it'd be a disaster, but Spurs still have a decent enough squad to win the CL.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #1024
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yeah pretty much my sentiments. And now he's gonna lose half his team and a few of the remaining top guys will probably be looking for the exit door. This is gonna be a massive rebuild for someone.
Why does this mean everyone is going to leave?

It's your go too every time for spurs, United, arsenal etc. But it's never happened. Makes no sense
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #1025
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mourinho for just this year actually makes a lot of sense. Long term it'd be a disaster, but Spurs still have a decent enough squad to win the CL.

Little early in the day to be drinking quite that heavily dont you think?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #1026
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
has Levy lost his mind? What the hell.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1196882943001710599
MichaelScottNoGODNO.gif
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #1027
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
MichaelScottNoGODNO.gif
Oh come on now....we've had the pleasure of watching Jose sewer Real Madrid, Chelsea and ManU why not Spurs next? Maybe then he can work his way around to Arsenal and maybe even destroy City?

Old 11-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #1028
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Why does this mean everyone is going to leave?

It's your go too every time for spurs, United, arsenal etc. But it's never happened. Makes no sense
Because you need money to make up for all the guys you're going to lose on frees, the stadium debt, paying out Poch, preemptively paying out Mourinho for when you fire him etc. And that doesn't even consider the bigger guys who don't want to be a part of a rebuild.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #1029
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Little early in the day to be drinking quite that heavily dont you think?
I mean it's basically the same team who just made the CL final 5 months ago. A new manager might give them the boost.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #1030
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean it's basically the same team who just made the CL final 5 months ago. A new manager might give them the boost.
Sir....your optimism borders upon hysteria.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #1031
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because you need money to make up for all the guys you're going to lose on frees, the stadium debt, paying out Poch, preemptively paying out Mourinho for when you fire him etc. And that doesn't even consider the bigger guys who don't want to be a part of a rebuild.
Okay, but I think you're thinking more like hockey than soccer. Rebuilds can be done effectively instantly if the chequebook is there.

Then again, you arent entirely incorrect either. A lot of guys in the Spurs squad seemingly wanted out before this and there likely arent going to be a lot of fees recouped by them.

Then again, with Poch out they might change their minds about wanting to leave, but they've also been playing like complete crap. That might be because they're well past their 'Best Before' dates or just that they lacked inspirado.

If its the former then you're going to get back to mediocre performances from bad players and/or little to no money for their departures other than wage savings.

If its the latter then jettisoning Poch could make the short term a lot brighter.

It really depends. The same argument 'they made the CL final last season' could apply and they're actually a better team than their results would indicate if they have a new manager, but that seems like thats a fairly hefty 'if.'

Old 11-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #1032
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did switch to Poch out a bit ago because I think he just lost the room. I'm a little saddened by it though because I know he's going to go to United or Madrid and we'll regret this.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #1033
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont think you understand at all how the finances at the club work, especially with regards to the stadium debt, and 'losing' money

Again I ask? Who wants to leave?

Besides eriksen and two 32+ year old centerbacks in the last year of their deals who havent requested to leave, who has said they want to go?

Also you keep talking about rebuilds with some of these clubs, I dont think you understand what that means with this sport, this isnt american sports with drafts and tanking, it doesnt happen

Lastly, all the stories the last few months, including a big one in the athletic, have been saying that most of the players were tired of poch and his training methods, the only thing that was helping him with it was lloris and kane still did and the squad respected them

So again, who's leaving? Also what kind of finances are we looking at this next few transfer windows?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #1034
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, but I think you're thinking more like hockey than soccer. Rebuilds can be done effectively instantly if the chequebook is there.

Then again, you arent entirely incorrect either. A lot of guys in the Spurs squad seemingly wanted out before this and there likely arent going to be a lot of fees recouped by them.

Then again, with Poch out they might change their minds about wanting to leave, but they've also been playing like complete crap. That might be because they're well past their 'Best Before' dates or just that they lacked inspirado.

If its the former then you're going to get back to mediocre performances from bad players and/or little to no money for their departures other than wage savings.

If its the latter then jettisoning Poch could make the short term a lot brighter.

It really depends. The same argument 'they made the CL final last season' could apply and they're actually a better team than their results would indicate if they have a new manager, but that seems like thats a fairly hefty 'if.'
Unless an oil state takes them over (and the Saudis want United and the Qataris want...Leeds?) we know the bolded isn't happening. Spurs have shown they can develop a team on a modest budget, but that was Poch obviously. He clearly had hit the wall with the current group, but as the old saying goes it's cheaper to replace the coach than it is the entire team. I do think they'll regret this because I don't see their board changing their approach.

At this point the guys who can go on a free have every incentive to leave because despite their poor play, they are still likely to get a nice big signing bonus and that is certainly more appealing to the players. Everyone loves cash up front. So that's Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Rose probably gone for nothing. For Man City that's nothing, but for Spurs to net $0 for those guys is devastating.

Are guys like Kane and Son really interested in Thursdays in Boratland after playing CL football the past few years? Maybe, but we know other clubs will be happy to poach them too. Are Spurs gonna be able to say no to the money they need to rebuild? Guess we will see.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #1035
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
I dont think you understand at all how the finances at the club work, especially with regards to the stadium debt, and 'losing' money

Again I ask? Who wants to leave?

Besides eriksen and two 32+ year old centerbacks in the last year of their deals who havent requested to leave, who has said they want to go?

Also you keep talking about rebuilds with some of these clubs, I dont think you understand what that means with this sport, this isnt american sports with drafts and tanking, it doesnt happen

Lastly, all the stories the last few months, including a big one in the athletic, have been saying that most of the players were tired of poch and his training methods, the only thing that was helping him with it was lloris and kane still did and the squad respected them

So again, who's leaving? Also what kind of finances are we looking at this next few transfer windows?
Seeing as you'll be in Europa League next year, a massive financial blow, where is all the money coming to rebuild the squad? You know Spurs better than me, but I also know they will never be United when it comes to spending. And Mourinho is coming and we all know how that ends. Best of luck I guess.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #1036
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
disagree, but the fact that this argument even exists just shows how they improved under Poch. When they made top 4 under Redknapp they celebrated like they won the league or something, now top 4 is pretty much the expectation. He took them up a few notches on a nothing budget. Probably lost the room, but a top manager without a doubt. Would love him at United, but I guess he'll end up at Real (or Bayern).
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #1037
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll take Poch at Arsenal; you guys can have Emery.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #1038
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unless an oil state takes them over (and the Saudis want United and the Qataris want...Leeds?) we know the bolded isn't happening. Spurs have shown they can develop a team on a modest budget, but that was Poch obviously. He clearly had hit the wall with the current group, but as the old saying goes it's cheaper to replace the coach than it is the entire team. I do think they'll regret this because I don't see their board changing their approach.

At this point the guys who can go on a free have every incentive to leave because despite their poor play, they are still likely to get a nice big signing bonus and that is certainly more appealing to the players. Everyone loves cash up front. So that's Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Rose probably gone for nothing. For Man City that's nothing, but for Spurs to net $0 for those guys is devastating.

Are guys like Kane and Son really interested in Thursdays in Boratland after playing CL football the past few years? Maybe, but we know other clubs will be happy to poach them too. Are Spurs gonna be able to say no to the money they need to rebuild? Guess we will see.
Again you show you dont understand their finances or their board

The athletic article even explicitly states

Quote:
Spurs still spend only 38 per cent of their turnover on wages but the club have said they expect that ratio to increase towards 50 per cent. What Levy will not do is turn Spurs into Manchester United, throwing big long-term contracts at senior players just to keep them at the club.

Even on transfers the club has started to spend again after failing to sign anyone through 2018-19, with a £120 million net spend this summer that few would have expected

And their finances are right up there now with the rest of the clubs

38% to 50% on wages and that includes a MASSIVE rise in revenue, I've seen it mentioned from the supporters trust it means at a minimum a doubling of the money spent on wages

2017/18 they posted the highest profit after taxes ever for a premier league club. The commercial revenue from 2015 to 2019 grew 72%, the manchester clubs and liverpool were between 34-40%, arsenal at 4%

From another article

Quote:
The matchday income of Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is absolutely massive. Early indications by the club suggest the stadium may be substantially more profitable than anticipated. Previously, Spurs leadership have used the Emirates as a standard for revenue to be expected at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, which generates around £100m per year. But fans’ interest in spending money at stadium at the initial test events have smashed the clubs’ expectations. One rumour suggested that Spurs sold more food and beverages in the first test event with 6,000 fans than they anticipated selling at a regular Premier League match. Therefore, it is not hard to see how with Spurs’ competitive pricing and superior hyper-luxury hospitality offerings compared to the Emirates, that the stadium could exceed annual earnings of £100m ..........

Spurs have basically already paid off around £500m of the stadium, and have consistent revenue streams for the next half-decade to remain in good financial shape.
They still havent officially signed a stadium sponsorship, which will be 8 figures per year, last year alone in the champions league they earned 90m

You talk about their finances like alan sugar still owns the club

Its the lazy and woefully uninformed scalding hot take with no truth
Old 11-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #1039
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have literally spent $0 in two of the last three windows. If your finances are so amazing, why are they doing nothing with that? You had a team that was competing, not an also ran. I believe you that they aren't the Little Sisters of the Poor, but the market has also significantly changed. Earning 50% more when everything costs 60% more doesn't really help. It also doesn't help when everyone is rich in the PL. ####ing Villa spent over £100 million! We'll see what comes in the next couple years, especially if it is indeed Mourinho.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #1040
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I'll take Poch at Arsenal; you guys can have Emery.
I'm still hoping that you guys need Big Sam for a great escape!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote