Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #61
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Waiting for the day where Triple H has more creative control over RAW and Smackdown. NXT and 205 Live are noticeably different in terms of atmosphere and in-ring action. The main roster guys have been shielded from doing their own things and expanding their move sets for decades now.

Lets look at the differences though

NXT

Smaller roster - This really allows you to be creative with the people that you have available, you can invest in the story line

TV Exposure - 1 hour a week. That means 3 or 4 story lines going on at once, this way you get a complete slow burn on the story line, and therefore you have a sense of anticipation on Wednesday nights when you get a one hour show

Far fewer PPVs - They don't have to rush storylines at all. Because of the one hour of TV a week and a lot less and shorter PPV's you can make storylines make sense and they don't have to be rushed.

The NXT Audience is different - They're really not the jaded audience that's likely to hi jack a show like the main roster fans seem to do. Because of that you get more immersion into what's happening. Plus the NXT audience is almost like the ECW audience in that they're all in and part of the show.

The cool factor of watching minor league hockey - You can actually get behind a character that you think is progressing or being called up.

Sadly the main roster creates different problems besides the writers suck.

The rosters are huge, and they're trying to use that - So you get about 5 storylines per hour of wrestling or probably 25 different storylines a week between Raw and Samckdown. The problem is it forces a rushed storyline for everyone and sometimes you go into a ppv with no build because there's no time

There are too many hours of TV - 3 hours tends to burn out an audience, so the energy is gone by the end of hour two and there's no audience energy left. They're also trying to cram too much into that many hours of TV.

The rosters are way to big - Its pretty simple. Its not like the old days when you had 15 really good wrestlers and a bunch of jobbers. Between the men and the woman we're probably talking about 30 or so wrestlers on each roster so you can't get invested or keep track and might not want to.

The audience is too saavy - while the NXT audience might be like a NCAA crowd, the main roster audiences are like the NFL. They're also way more in tune with what they like and don't like and they take too much pride in being smarks and hijacking the show.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #62
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sometimes wonder if Raw/Smackdown would do better as episodic programs similar to Game of Thrones. Focus on 3 or 4 feuds/week and then the following week focus on a different 3 or 4. Hell, even make the PPVs like that, so you do get that slow burn and less overexposure.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #63
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its almost what NXT has done. One week you'll get Bzler and Sane, and a few other stories and then the next week other wrestlers will get their stories told.

I mean when you have 53 wrestlers fighting for 3 hours of time a week like on Raw, and you're trying to cram everyone in you tend to get a lot of booking on the fly.

I'm sure that you remember WCW had a roster of about 100 wrestlers and they had 3 hours of main tv a week, so they started cramming wrestlers in with 1 minute segments just so you wouldn't forget them.

I mean looking at the Raw Roster, when's the last time we heard anything from Mike Kanellis, or Gable, Heath Slater, or No Way Jose

Logically and it sucks they could cut down that roster by half or more and it would automatically be a better show.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #64
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I mean looking at the Raw Roster, when's the last time we heard anything from Mike Kanellis, or Gable, Heath Slater, or No Way Jose

Logically and it sucks they could cut down that roster by half or more and it would automatically be a better show.
Well half the problem with those guys, especially in the case of Slater and No Way Jose, is that they're one-dimensional characters. A guy whose entire gimmick is that he has a Conga line, who could have possibly seen that failing to get over on the main roster?
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #65
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd also argue that WWE actually limits its ability to bring in new fans because of the cartoon-ish characters. I would have serious doubts about trying to show someone who wasn't into wrestling an episode of Raw or a PPV without feeling slightly embarrassed. On the other side, I got all trashed one night and showed a chick I was seeing a couple of NJPW matches and she was super into them.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #66
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I sometimes wonder if Raw/Smackdown would do better as episodic programs similar to Game of Thrones. Focus on 3 or 4 feuds/week and then the following week focus on a different 3 or 4. Hell, even make the PPVs like that, so you do get that slow burn and less overexposure.
I've been arguing this for a while. If you do 2 story lines an hour, times three hours is 6 storylines per Raw.

Therefore have 7-8 story lines on the go at once. Rotate them through, meaning once every 4 weeks a storyline is off tv. You give the wrestlers their 20 minutes or whatever, and simply rotate through. It wouldn't be a straight rotation in the sense that the main event guys are different every week, but it would give the midcarders a chance to headline once a month, and the curtain jerkers an opportunity to see how they do midcard.

They also need to have PPVs and The Big 4. They need to make the Big 4 special, and differentiate the PPVs from Raw and Smackdown.

Lastly, and it's a little thing that's my biggest pet peeve in WWE.

Can we always have the champion come out second? Like, why is the champ waiting in the ring? Challenge ALWAYS first.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #67
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

So for my kids' birthday's we got tickets to Raw and Smackdown in Toronto. My son's birthday is in mid-May and we got the 2 for 1 tickets. We had him open the Raw tickets and and his present was a family trip to Raw. My daughter was excited that she was included in his birthday present. Both of them wanted to go to both, but we said that there was no way we could afford that with an upcoming vacation as well.

My daughter's birthday is at the end of June and it was so hard to keep the secret for 6 weeks, but the payoff was so worth it as she opened the her present and it was 4 Smackdown tickets.

We told them that we would be driving back to London each night, but we have now told them that is not the case and we are staying in a hotel, always a favourite of theirs.

Going to be a fun couple of days!
Old 08-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #68
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

So who's watching All In next Saturday?

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #69
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
So who's watching All In next Saturday?
Sadly I'll be working, but I'll find a way to watch it Sunday for sure.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #70
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Won't get to watch it, but I am extremely excited to see Omega vs. Pentagon. That match has the most intrigue to me. Wouldn't be surprised to see Neville on the card either, possibly as an entrant in the Over Budget Battle Royale.

Also noticed that Virgil was added to the Battle Royale yesterday. DAMN now I gotta watch it!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #71
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Won't get to watch it, but I am extremely excited to see Omega vs. Pentagon. That match has the most intrigue to me. Wouldn't be surprised to see Neville on the card either, possibly as an entrant in the Over Budget Battle Royale.

Also noticed that Virgil was added to the Battle Royale yesterday. DAMN now I gotta watch it!

Like the million dollar man virgil? What's he going to do, set up a merchandising table in the middle of the ring and try to sell his stuff?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #72
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

That's the one! The Young Bucks know #### money when they see it.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #73
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is all in being shown on?

I saw something about wgn but that looks just like the pre show

Seen more and more rumors of the bucks going to wwe early next year, cody too, cody would surprise me a bit, do think he goes back soonish but i would think he waits another year or so

Would love if they could get Kenny, If i could predict something and hope it came true its kenny and AJ main eventing WM sometime in the next 3 years
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #74
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Where are you seeing those rumors? I know WWE has reached out to them (even after the lawsuit threat) but that doesn't mean they will be there. Many of the NJPW guys don't want to go / go back (Juice, Omega, etc.)
Old 08-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #75
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Rumor is that there's a strong push for a Nikki Bella vs Rousey as the main event at evolution as that want to save Flair vs Rousey for Wrestlemania.

This might point out a few things

That Rousey loses the Raw Woman's title to Bella and goes after Flair's belt

That Becky is going to lose her feud with Charlotte which makes this heel turn stupid.

That after destroying Alexa Bliss who Nikki couldn't tie up her boots that this will probably be a back and force between Nikki and Rousey which will piss me off.

Meanwhile the whole idea of the Miz and Bryan feud was all about setting up a stupid mixed tag team match,and you watch Brie will hit her finishing move on the Miz 10 times and kick out of his skull crushing finale.

WWE really needs to get rid of their hollywood creative writers.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #76
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where are you seeing those rumors? I know WWE has reached out to them (even after the lawsuit threat) but that doesn't mean they will be there. Many of the NJPW guys don't want to go / go back (Juice, Omega, etc.)
There was a reddit thread on it last week that was linked to the observer i think

Not that it was a sure thing, just that its gone from highly unlikely to theres more chatter, who knows what is actually true

If they did want to cash in time would be now, their negotiating power will never be higher
Old 08-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #77
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Rumor is that there's a strong push for a Nikki Bella vs Rousey as the main event at evolution as that want to save Flair vs Rousey for Wrestlemania.

This might point out a few things

That Rousey loses the Raw Woman's title to Bella and goes after Flair's belt

That Becky is going to lose her feud with Charlotte which makes this heel turn stupid.

That after destroying Alexa Bliss who Nikki couldn't tie up her boots that this will probably be a back and force between Nikki and Rousey which will piss me off.

Meanwhile the whole idea of the Miz and Bryan feud was all about setting up a stupid mixed tag team match,and you watch Brie will hit her finishing move on the Miz 10 times and kick out of his skull crushing finale.

WWE really needs to get rid of their hollywood creative writers.
Think the rousey charlotte thing makes more sense backwards with rousey basically coming into WM undefeated and charlotte challenging

Miz v bryan is going to be a slow burn, hiac wont be the end
Old 08-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #78
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Summer Slam 2019 . . . Toronto

https://etcanada.com/news/361305/tor...we-summerslam/

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #79
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah that Kevin Owens Seth Rollins match to me is pretty much the match of the year.

From his opening promo through the whole match, its a shame that WWE seems to take Owens for granted.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:16 PM   #80
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Not a bad Raw - although they are really trying to push Reigns as a face and Strowman as a heel, even though the fans want it the other way around. Every time.