Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #1401
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
EA NHL fans out there (regardless of how weak the game play can be ), here's the update for NHL 20's GM Mode features. It actually looks quite impressive as a big player of the mode:

https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/...=1565884370965
As someone who used to play almost exclusively GM Mode and who hasn't bought the game in years, this might be enough for me to try it out again.

Last edited by Ashasx; 08-15-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #1402
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
No Man's Sky NEXT update dropped today. Added VR and a bunch of new features. Increased the ship size and now you can ride the fauna (as well as milk them). Excuse me while I go milk a flying cow snake

No Man's Sky Beyond: everything to know about the game changing update

https://www.techradar.com/news/no-ma...u-need-to-know

No Man's Sky Beyond Makes A Great First Impression, Except For The Bugs

https://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-beyon...xce-1837250940

https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/08/no...eyond-release/

Here is just a brief summary of what you can find in BEYOND:
– Virtual Reality support
– VR user Interface
– VR user interactions
– VR controller support
– 16-32 multiplayer
– Multiplayer missions
– Ambient multiplayer
– A new social hub
– New traveller NPCs
– Dynamic NPCs
– Alien Languages
– New alien encounters
– Technology trees
– Gameplay Balance
– Discovery Page overhaul
– Planetary Charts
– Creature taming/riding/milking
– Multiplayer missions
– Cooking & Recipes
– Cooler Aliens
– Improved base building
– Power & Logic & Industrial Bases
– Optimisation
– Starship enhancements
– First person exocraft driving
– Vulkan
– PC graphics options
– Expanded controller support
– Sitting
– Version 2.0

Last edited by troutman; 08-15-2019 at 02:12 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #1403
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

A lot of good games out there (and existing ones getting major updates), yet I havent found one lately that I could stick with. I have a rift s, xbox, PC and Switch- any recommendations? I'll give anything a shot at this point. I usually lean toward multiplayer over strictly single player games.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #1404
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been playing World War Z. It's pretty fun. I'll be the first to admit it's not likely a game you'll be playing a year from now unless there is some DLC coming in at some point. But it is fun and increasing the difficulty as you get used to the game play makes things more interesting.

People are calling it the new L4D and I tend to agree. It's a lot like that but a bit more polish? It's fun, relatively cheap and can take as little or as much time as you like.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #1405
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I am taking a break from AC after playing those two games back to back but does anyone recommend the DLC for Origins? I imagine I'll jump into it after I finish playing Darksiders 3.
The Hidden Ones is skippable (nothing wrong with it, just more of the same as Origins), but Curse of the Pharaohs was awesome. Just replayed all of Origins and its two DLCs and I forgot how good Pharaohs was.

Extra level of nerdy immersion if you're familiar with the pharaohs they did an afterlife on, specifically Akhenaten. AC definitely does their history homework..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #1406
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've put about 10 hours into No Man's SKy, and I am not loving it. I've been stuck on a frozen hellscape of a world running around scanning stuff and mining resources, the bulk of those O2 and sodium to replenish my suit. Found a suit upgrade pod, can't locate antimatter; can't buy it at the trade outpost, so... I guess I'll fly to another planet?

Is this a game better played multiplayer? Am I missing something?

(incidentally, I loved Subnautica, which I hoped No Mans Sky would be like. I don't know how that's is relevant, but I feel it is somehow)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #1407
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Antimatter gets crafted but you have to learn the recipe, I think you get it pretty early on if you just follow the quest goals.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:11 AM   #1408
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah the way to play NMS is to work towards the quest line at first, treating it as a tutorial. Once you meet Nada, you can continue, postpone or ignore the quests
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:32 AM   #1409
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I love Dunkey and he reviews No man's sky pretty damn well I think. For anyone interested:

MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #1410
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrButtons View Post
I love Dunkey and he reviews No man's sky pretty damn well I think. For anyone interested:

To be fair to NMS this review is from launch. The game has changed a lot since then.
I get that it won't be a game for everyone. Heck, I think I like it more because it's so different to most games. But then I'm weird.
To me, this is a game where you are dropped into a sandbox and then decide what you want to do beyond the initial quests. There is a lot of repetition in the core mechanics, as the variety is determined by your goals.
Are you trying to journey to the centre?
Are you trying to finish the quests?
Are you trying to build an epic base?
Are you trying to get cool stuff and play with friends?

Where most games give you an end goal, usually through story, NMS gives you options, where advancement is based around mining, trading, crafting and exploring. I like the freedom, as I can play just to play, and I use that to relax.

My review on it is that this game could be 10/10 to one person and 1/10 to another. It is polarizing by nature. I see it as a sandbox in which you can make fun. As someone who will go off the track in Red dead and hunt, who prefers exploring the fallout world over completing the main story quests, it works. I have poured in hundreds of hours over 2+ years and will likely do more post update. It's a 9/10 to me.

The developers made claims they couldn't back up at launch, whether that is lying or talking up features that couldn't make it into version 1.0 is a whole other debate. The fact is that the game has been updated post launch and is a more diverse experience now, but it's still not for everyone.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #1411
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

NMS is fun. I really enjoyed it despite having shelved it for a bit. This update will probably bring me back in this winter. I enjoyed building bases. Exploring and finding new ships was cool too.

Is there still a limit on the number of ships you can have? Seem to recall a weird bug with ship ownership. You can acquire them but not get rid of them I think?

Also hate the damn sentries. They are everywhere. Just minding your own business mining away and suddenly they are all up in your business. Could do with less of those.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:45 PM   #1412
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4...kinect-cortana

Microsoft Contractors Listened to Xbox Owners in Their Homes

Contractors working for Microsoft have listened to audio of Xbox users speaking in their homes in order to improve the console’s voice command features, Motherboard has learned. The audio was supposed to be captured following a voice command like “Xbox” or “Hey Cortana,” but contractors said that recordings were sometimes triggered and recorded by mistake.

The news is the latest in a string of revelations that show contractors working on behalf of Microsoft listen to audio captured by several of its products. Motherboard previously reported that human contractors were listening to some Skype calls as well as audio recorded by Cortana, Microsoft’s Siri-like virtual assistant.

The former contractor said most of the voices they heard were of children.

Apple, Google, and Facebook suspended their own use of contractors after swelling media coverage around the widespread practice; Amazon said it will let users opt-out. In response to Motherboard's reporting, Microsoft updated its privacy documents to more explicitly say that humans may listen to obtained recordings, but continues to have humans review captured audio.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #1413
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Remnant From the Ashes is really good so far. I've only played a couple hours, but am having a blast with it. We'll see how the difficulty is as I keep going.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #1414
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Remnant From the Ashes is really good so far. I've only played a couple hours, but am having a blast with it. We'll see how the difficulty is as I keep going.
Yeah I am enjoying this as well. It's somewhat like Dark Souls with guns and a bit of a Serious Sam vibe in that you get outnumbered by enemies.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #1415
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
EA NHL fans out there (regardless of how weak the game play can be ), here's the update for NHL 20's GM Mode features. It actually looks quite impressive as a big player of the mode:

https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/...=1565884370965
Until they overhaul the ridiculously bad A.I any other additions are just polishing a turd.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #1416
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Until they overhaul the ridiculously bad A.I any other additions are just polishing a turd.
The real unfortunate part of the EA sports monopoly is the lack of advancement in sports games over the last few generations.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #1417
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Absolutely. Tired of trying to cycle the puck back the the point only the find both dmen hovering around centre ice for some reason. And turning up the difficulty just makes the other team puck magnets that intercept everything and get magical speed boosts to get back in position

Last edited by btimbit; 08-25-2019 at 01:09 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #1418
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Classic DOOM modding has come a long way

NSFW!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #1419
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any use for an original Xbox? Dug mine out of the basement. I assume not, but I know they were big for modders/home theater boxes for a while but I assume that's long gone.

Trying to decide if they should go to goodwill or just to recycle.

Come to think of it I've got two SNES to recycle too.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 08:48 AM   #1420
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Is there any use for an original Xbox? Dug mine out of the basement. I assume not, but I know they were big for modders/home theater boxes for a while but I assume that's long gone.

Trying to decide if they should go to goodwill or just to recycle.

Come to think of it I've got two SNES to recycle too.

A $50 Android box can do more than the OG Xbox could ever for media purposes. But if it's in good condition you could get a few bucks for it from retro collectors, since Xbox emulation still isn't very good. Same with the SNES's, if they're in good working condition they'll be worth a bit
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote