Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #161
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
One more question about CP's favourite Vizio 5.1 sound bar from Costco. For the rear speakers can you pick up pretty much any universal speaker stands off amazon, Kijiji etc and be good to go?
I think so? I mean, I assume a universal speaker stand is called a universal stand for a reason?

There's also lists like this that might help too.
https://www.bestreviews.guide/vizio-speaker-stands
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:05 PM   #162
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I think so? I mean, I assume a universal speaker stand is called a universal stand for a reason?

There's also lists like this that might help too.
https://www.bestreviews.guide/vizio-speaker-stands
Yeah, I don't always trust "universal" and have never shopped for speakers. But I'm sure most will be fine.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #163
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it helps, these are the ones I bought based off a suggestion from someone else that has the same system:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are pretty darn good stands. The plug on the rear speaker cables is too big to pass through the inner channel but they come with velcro ties that do the job just fine.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #164
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
If it helps, these are the ones I bought based off a suggestion from someone else that has the same system:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are pretty darn good stands. The plug on the rear speaker cables is too big to pass through the inner channel but they come with velcro ties that do the job just fine.
Oh these rear speakers aren't wireless? Figured they were. How long of cables do they come with?
Old 12-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #165
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh these rear speakers aren't wireless? Figured they were. How long of cables do they come with?
Very long.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #166
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya it's a bit misleading but I guess they are referring to no wires between the sound bar and rear speakers. Both rears speakers need to be connected to the sub though.

And ya, cables are quite long. I just stuffed the extra cabling under the couch they stand behind.

**edit**

Lol, should have looked at your link before posting my suggestion. Clearly the same set

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 12-23-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:43 PM   #167
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I don't always trust "universal" and have never shopped for speakers. But I'm sure most will be fine.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to disregard your comment. I meant usually with minor swap of a screw or something, quite a few universal stands can be jerry rigged to work with most speakers, so I assumed it would work. I just balance the back speakers on the edge of my sofa, so I don't use stands.

Yes the rear speakers are wired to the sub which is wirelessly connected to the front sound bar. I believe speaker wires are around 25 ft long? I think the plugin for the sub is only 5 ft long though, so an extension cord may be required for power.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #168
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn’t want to start a new thread but does anyone have any suggestions for techniques to hide a cable box behind a wall mounted tv?

I have 2 TVs I want to get the cable box off the ground and mount behind it, but unsure the best method to do so. One tv is 43” in a corner and the other is a 65” mounted on a flat wall. Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #169
jayswin

Exp:

Question for those who own the Vizio 5.1 surround system - I bought one on Friday and it sounds great, however the rear speakers seem very quiet even surround volume is maxed. Is that true of all back speakers on surround units?

Also, does anyone have preferred settings for this unit?
Old 12-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #170
jayswin

Exp:

As well, since the back speakers are wired could I basically purchase any wired back speakers to upgrade this unit since they don't have to be paired?
Old 12-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #171
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their very much an old school 5.1. You won’t notice them almost anywhere. Unless watching certain movies with heavy surround.

I see the difference with it and my real theatre room all the time.

Still great system for the rprice though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #172
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Question for those who own the Vizio 5.1 surround system - I bought one on Friday and it sounds great, however the rear speakers seem very quiet even surround volume is maxed. Is that true of all back speakers on surround units?

You absolutely need to play with the settings a bit. You should be hearing the rear speakers almost all the time. The default settings from the factory won't overly impress.

If you haven't already, download the app for your phone and move the sliders around until you get the results you are looking for. I can take some screen shots of mine and send them to you if you like.

How do you have your system connected to your TV?
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #173
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
You absolutely need to play with the settings a bit. You should be hearing the rear speakers almost all the time. The default settings from the factory won't overly impress.

If you haven't already, download the app for your phone and move the sliders around until you get the results you are looking for. I can take some screen shots of mine and send them to you if you like.

How do you have your system connected to your TV?
Yeah, I'd love some screenshots if it's not too much trouble. It said you had to set up through optical first, now I've switched it to HDMI-ARC.

I did notice that most of my initial TV watching was sports and have since seen a couple movies which were noticeably better.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:21 PM   #174
jayswin

Exp:

Oh and just a note, the Vizio 5.1 sound bar is 199.97 in store right now.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-30-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:50 AM   #175
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Bought this for my mom for Christmas.

For functionality and picture quality for price, I was blown away.

https://www.amazon.ca/TCL-55S425-CA-...=2048238870401
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:10 PM   #176
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Bought this for my mom for Christmas.

For functionality and picture quality for price, I was blown away.

https://www.amazon.ca/TCL-55S425-CA-...=2048238870401
We picked up the 50" for the MIL to replace her dead Sony 720p dinosaur she had in her office, and she loves it.

While it won't win any high-end television review shootouts, it's a spectacular TV for the money. TCL is killing it with their low and mid-range sets compared to a lot of their competition who ask a hell of a lot more money. $600 for a 4K HDR 65" Smart TV is a no-brainer for most consumers.

I say most because the 4-Series doesn't have a wide colour gamut and the max brightness is pretty low, so the 'HDR' isn't really that awe-inspiring compared to a 10-bit panel with a wide colour gamut and proper 'staring into the sun' brightness levels. TCL's 55" 6-series has WCG and Dolby Vision for about a $250 premium over the 55" 4-Series.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #177
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

TCL is a good TV but I'm going to keep banging the drum for Vizios 2019 TV's. The price and quality value proposition is unmatched. That 55" 4 series was only 180* dollars cheaper than the final sale price I got the 55" P series. And the gulf in quality is enormous.

Last edited by White Out 403; 01-01-2020 at 11:04 AM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #178
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the 6 series or higher are solid TVs from TCL. I looked at the 4 and it wasn’t a vwry good picture at all. The price was very good however.

Bu the time you get up to the Vizio Quantum and TCL flagship to get solid picture and quality I found you weren’t far off Samsung or even the $2400 I got my OLED for.

I really tried to save $1800 but in the end I just couldn’t do it. I am a confessed display snob though. I agree my in laws would be fine with TCL!

EDIT: TCL 6 series is $900 now? Wow that dropped huge since October. Was around $1400 then.

I read lots of quality issues but lots are very happy. It is a good set. I would roll the dice on that one given the price.

Last edited by OldDutch; 01-01-2020 at 08:42 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #179
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a 6 series. It's excellent for the price I paid.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:38 PM   #180
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I had a similar situation with the "default" settings when I bought mine. The back speakers were whisper quiet and sound was fading in an out (not even surround). I reset all settings to default to clear the slate and start tweaking the settings and it resolved the issue. No tinkering required for me after reset to default.

Mine is older though so I don't get the app. But try resetting to default and listening first before tweaking further.

Quote:
As well, since the back speakers are wired could I basically purchase any wired back speakers to upgrade this unit since they don't have to be paired?
I guess so, but I seem to recall reading that the output strength isn't very high so there could be weird results if you swapped out a totally different set of back speakers.