Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2019, 11:40 PM   #841
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Well now I can complain about my low speeds with my internet 600 for $70/month for the full two years that includes a free upgrade to bluecurve.

No idea how jeep991 got $38/month for a year for the 300 but I'm fine with $70 for the upgrade. Would have taken $70 for the 300 since it's more than enough.
Do you have any tv or just internet? I’m about to cancel my cable tv. Thanks!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #842
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Has anyone tried the new Shaw wireless tv boxes? I assume they arent truly wireless because they still need to be plugged in for power
I am switching to the wireless set up this morning. I'm a bit concerned about quality/latency/lag but we'll see what happens. My router lives under my main tv so I'm assuming that instead of relying on wireless for that box I can plug it in directly via an Ethernet cable.

I did score a pretty great deal for my Shaw service. 2 years at $89 per month for Bluecurve internet 300 and Total TV plus Crave+Movies+HBO and a $250 statement credit.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #843
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I am switching to the wireless set up this morning. I'm a bit concerned about quality/latency/lag but we'll see what happens. My router lives under my main tv so I'm assuming that instead of relying on wireless for that box I can plug it in directly via an Ethernet cable.

I did score a pretty great deal for my Shaw service. 2 years at $89 per month for Bluecurve internet 300 and Total TV plus Crave+Movies+HBO and a $250 statement credit.
Are you a new customer? That's a great deal. I pay way more than that.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #844
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You'll have to keep us updated how it goes. And that is a really, really good deal
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #845
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Are you a new customer? That's a great deal. I pay way more than that.
Existing customer but I have a buddy that works at Shaw so he always gets us much better rates than publicly available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
You'll have to keep us updated how it goes. And that is a really, really good deal
So far after night one the system is decent. Unfortunately I had to set up the modem in my basement which I think is affecting performance. I'm hoping to move the modem upstairs tonight.

A couple of issues I had last night include the picture not being completely clear all the time while watching the Flames game. There was a bit of ghosting at times and a couple times it got fuzzy for two or three seconds. Twice the wireless box lost the connection and it took a bit of time for it to reconnect.

I'm hoping that once I move the modem it will be better. Additionally, once I move the modem I can use an Ethernet connection to my main TV which should eliminate my issues on that tv.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #846
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Existing customer but I have a buddy that works at Shaw so he always gets us much better rates than publicly available.
That's such a good deal it doesn't even sound fair!

Shaw gouges so hard, I just called to complain and they tried to UPSELL me on internet 600 to get a "good deal"

Finally got them down to $120 for net 300 + medium TV and my packages.
They wouldn't do anything else, or anything lower.

Retention's cares less and less as it goes on, they know they have a monopoly.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #847
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Do you have any tv or just internet? I’m about to cancel my cable tv. Thanks!
Just internet.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 11-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #848
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I see this advertisement pop up all the time for the package you just signed up for, however i'm pretty sure its $89 a month for just the first 12 months of your 24 month contract. After the first 12 months I believe it bumps up to $115 a month.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #849
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

After looking here, seems like I got a pretty crap price today at 135 for small tv, net 300, and crave+HBO. Didn't really put up much of an argument though.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #850
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw sent me a blue curve modem. I am trying to set it up but its referring me to the blue curve app. My iTunes region is still set to USA. When I try to switch to Canada it tells me I have to cancel my iTunes Match subscription to switch. I don't want to do that. Can I use the Bluecurve without the app?
Old 11-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #851
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should be able to do it all from a web browser:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-...odem/ta-p/6468
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #852
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I see this advertisement pop up all the time for the package you just signed up for, however i'm pretty sure its $89 a month for just the first 12 months of your 24 month contract. After the first 12 months I believe it bumps up to $115 a month.
I got an "exclusive" offer via email from Shaw for Bluecurve Total TV and Internet 300 for $159 a month for two years. Click on the link and it shows the $89 a month price until I enter that I'm an existing customer and goes back to $159. That was nice of them. No thanks!

Apparently they've hidden Limited TV really well now because I can't see it on the website either. Conveniently, it's likely in a link that doesn't work - but the new Bluecurve links all work fine.

Last edited by Mazrim; 11-06-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #853
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just a follow-up to my changeover from Shaw to Can-com.

Coles notes:

- have Shaw 300 and large TV with a current bill ~$200 (just came off deal), was moving to a cord-cutting scenario and to a lower internet bandwidth of 75mb with Can-com.
- New package is $50 per month, unlimited data
- received the modem in 3-4 business days
- you have to schedule a 'changeover day' with Can-com
- on changeover day, I unplugged Shaw router (it was in bridge mode hooked to 3rd party router USG by ubiquiti), connected cable, cat 5 and power to new Can-com modem, about 2 minutes later, I was up and running.
- Speedtest was ~85 down / 8 up
- same service of Shaw, I anticipate I will never really notice any difference in ongoing use
- Can-com support sent me an email asking if everything was working, I replied yes and now I am completely done with the changeover.
- literally took me less than 5 minutes to set up an account, 1 minute to set up modem, 2 minutes waiting for modem to initialize, 15 seconds to reply to Can-com. Not sure how it could have been any easier.

Savings:

- I found a referral code and got $10 off first bill
- saving $150 per month / $1800 year off total bill
- saving ~$55 / $35 per month compare to Shaw's normal rate for 300 / 50 plan (no 75 plan anymore apparently)
- on a two-year contract comparison (no contract with Can-com) I am saving $540 / $240 over two years
- if I had the 300 package it would be about $60 more expensive over two years with Can-com compared to shaw.
- 13 months from now I will get loyalty discount starting at 1% (I believe it goes up 1% per year to max of 5%)

Final thoughts:

- I spent very little time to change this over. I am sure my cancellation with shaw, drop off equipment etc with cost me couple hours of my time
- I like saving money, but time is also very important to me. I don't like having to phone Shaw every year or two to negotiate a new contract
- Probably most importantly, I really don't like rewarding Shaw's poor support, high prices, business model etc.
- Not sure if this is allowed, but if anyone wants my referral code for $10 off PM me (for transparency, I get a whole $1 per month off my bill so long as that person subscribes). If this is not allowed, I will erase this part.

Shaw

Took 91 minutes to get a callback, transferred to cancellation department within a couple of minutes
1h 14 minutes on hold to speak to a 'cancellation agent'
It took 2 minutes to actually cancel, as I didn't want to hear 'their offer'.
Still have to return equipment, curious to how the line will be at Chinook...
GOOD RIDDANCE!

Last edited by cupofjoe; 11-11-2019 at 09:35 PM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #854
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My Shaw modem died today so no Internet. I spent an hour trouble shooting until finally the rep said to go to Chinook for a quick swap.

I went. 20 mins drive, 20 mins find a spot, 20 mins in line #1, then was told to line up in a way longer line #2. Total of 2 agents working. Was told it would be about another hour to swap. I left.

Done with Shaw when the contract is up. There is zero value to the premium you pay.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #855
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
My Shaw modem died today so no Internet. I spent an hour trouble shooting until finally the rep said to go to Chinook for a quick swap.

I went. 20 mins drive, 20 mins find a spot, 20 mins in line #1, then was told to line up in a way longer line #2. Total of 2 agents working. Was told it would be about another hour to swap. I left.

Done with Shaw when the contract is up. There is zero value to the premium you pay.
This won't help you now and not to excuse the poor customer service, but whenever I have had to do a swap or anything like that, the downtown location is really efficient. Well staffed, lots of on-street parking, etc.

They should still do better than that though.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #856
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

This is where you remind them that none of this is your problem and they have 24 hours to get your service back up. When they inevitably respond with "we can't get someone out for 10 days" you reply with "great, then you've breached our contract and I'm switching to Telus without penalty".

I know it's not that simple, but it would be satisfying at least.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #857
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
Just a follow-up to my changeover from Shaw to Can-com.

Coles notes:

GOOD RIDDANCE!
I'd like to add another voice to this. Just dumped Shaw for CanCom this week. Was absolutely simple and virtually seamless. Speed tests for CanCom's 300 service right in line with Shaw. Shocked to reach a human in support immediately when I called to ensure that everything was squared away. So far extremely impressed, and as you said feels great to vote against Shaw's declining customer service with my wallet.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RockLicker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 01:19 PM   #858
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLicker View Post
I'd like to add another voice to this. Just dumped Shaw for CanCom this week. Was absolutely simple and virtually seamless. Speed tests for CanCom's 300 service right in line with Shaw. Shocked to reach a human in support immediately when I called to ensure that everything was squared away. So far extremely impressed, and as you said feels great to vote against Shaw's declining customer service with my wallet.

I just wish you could keep access to shaw open....I do find that useful often
Old 11-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #859
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLicker View Post
Did you sign up for CanCom internet and TV or just internet? I am wondering what their TV service is like compared to Shaw
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #860
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Was curious about Can Com so I looked up their website.

My god, whoever the first person was to trust them made a bold, bold move. It looks like it was designed by an infant.

Glad to hear they're compared/better in quality to Shaw, though!
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote