Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #221
Yorkshire Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So far I've been pretty pleased with Optik; I'm about 1/2 way through my 3 year term, and my speed is pretty good. I'm on the 15Mb/s profile currently and even though the switching station in Kensington is only 4 blocks away from my place, apparently I'm not capable of getting anything higher. My speed is extremely stable with low latency and jitter.

Having said that, the one thing that really annoys me about IPTV is that you're pretty limited when it comes to selection of routers because they have to be able to do an IGMP Proxy for multicast. The D-Link router that Telus provides is a big PoS, and I'd love to replace it but I seem to be coming up short finding a decent router that supports the IGMP proxy. That's my biggest irk.
Yorkshire Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #222
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Question for those who work at TELUS. I have the D-Link POS router mentioned above. Can I get TELUS to come and replace it with the ActionTec router? Does the ActionTec have the same issue as the D-Link with the wired and wireless connections not being able to talk to each other?
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #223
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

call telus and demand the actiontec. just as simple as that.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #224
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have a hard time believing that TELUS will roll a truck out to do a modem swap just because...
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #225
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsnaP View Post
I have a hard time believing that TELUS will roll a truck out to do a modem swap just because...
Well, the good thing is that I will be calling TELUS for a service call anyway. The router randomly reboots every now and then, and my internet sometimes cuts out when the phone rings. I'm pretty sure I have a faulty POTS splitter, but if I can get a different modem in the process then that is a bonus.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #226
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yes, they are more likely to roll a truck for a repair.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #227
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
Well, the good thing is that I will be calling TELUS for a service call anyway. The router randomly reboots every now and then, and my internet sometimes cuts out when the phone rings. I'm pretty sure I have a faulty POTS splitter, but if I can get a different modem in the process then that is a bonus.
Get them to check the connection coming into the house as well. There is a part that is supposed to be replaced as part of the Optik install, (PsnaP can clarify), and if the installer didn't replace that it can cause the exact problems you are describing - it happened to me when I first got service installed. (damn weekend non-Telus employee contractors)
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #228
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Oh really? And you know this how exactly?

Honestly your posts are so annoying to read. Your know it all attitude is one thing, but when you put that kind of spin on something you clearly dont know about-- its really infuriating.

Trucks Get rolled all the time and sometimes for ridiculous reasons; all in the name of retaining clients

Last edited by theonlywhiteout; 02-12-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #229
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post

Honestly your posts are so annoying to read. Your know it all attitude is one thing, but when you put that kind of spin on something you clearly dont know about-- its really infuriating.
Well, in all fairness, I do find it hard to believe that TELUS would just replace my modem for ####s and giggles. It's my fault for not making it clear in my original post that I am having intermittent problems with the Optik service.

PsnaP. Madman mentioned a part that needed to be replaced, do you know the name of the part? I would like to make it clear to the rep and repairman what I would like them to check.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #230
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds like the pots splitter
Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 AM   #231
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like the pots splitter
No, its not. A pots splitter is inside the house.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #232
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
PsnaP. Madman mentioned a part that needed to be replaced, do you know the name of the part? I would like to make it clear to the rep and repairman what I would like them to check.
I'll find out what it's called and let you know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #233
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Trucks Get rolled all the time and sometimes for ridiculous reasons; all in the name of retaining clients
Do you know what it costs TELUS to roll a truck?? If a sub wants a new modem juat cause.. its not going to happen. If they are having issues or troubles.. then yes, a truck gets rolled.

You think my posts are annoying to read? Yours are just as bad.. all your info is based on here say from other people and BS you pull outta your rear end. Im not sure what they are teaching you guys in the tower but its not what happens in the field. Why dont you hop in a truck and find out for your self what goes on outside of your cube.

The issues with the modem cutting out could be a few things,
-modem
-POTS splitter
-cable

The device that gets upgraded on the outside of the house is in the nid. The protector gets swapped out for a IDC type one (as apposed to a screw down terminal).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsnaP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #234
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The device that gets upgraded on the outside of the house is in the nid. The protector gets swapped out for a IDC type one (as apposed to a screw down terminal).
Yeah, that's what my problem was.
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #235
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The issues with the modem cutting out could be a few things,
-modem
-POTS splitter
-cable

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. The modem randomly reboots itself. Sometimes days go by without problems, other times it will reboot multiple times a day. Incoming phone calls can sometimes knock out my internet and TV service (the router stays on when this happens). I've had repair techs out multiple times checking everything from the CO to the JIWI to the cable pair coming into the house. It's not the biggest problem in the world, but it is annoying at times.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #236
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

Quote:
Question for those who work at TELUS. I have the D-Link POS router mentioned above. Can I get TELUS to come and replace it with the ActionTec router? Does the ActionTec have the same issue as the D-Link with the wired and wireless connections not being able to talk to each other?
Is this why I can't get my laptop (wireless) to recognize my xbox (wired) as an extender on WMC? Or recognize it on the network at all?

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #237
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

So you HAVE to use their router? You can't just put their router into modem mode or something?

That's a deal breaker if their routers suck.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #238
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Us Sutter View Post
Is this why I can't get my laptop (wireless) to recognize my xbox (wired) as an extender on WMC? Or recognize it on the network at all?
Probably. TELUS replaced my old 2Wire modem with a D-Link G3810 when I switched from the old Minerva Telus TV platform to the current MediaRoom system. I quickly found that my wired devices could no longer talk to the wireless ones. I did some digging around in some forums and found that quite a few people have the same issue with the D-Link router.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #239
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
So you HAVE to use their router? You can't just put their router into modem mode or something?

That's a deal breaker if their routers suck.
Well, you can disable the wireless on the TELUS D-Link, and connect another router to it that will then act as the wired/wireless connection to your computer and other devices. You have to be careful about what router and/or settings you use. Otherwise you can end up with a double NAT situation, and that can be a PITA to try and solve.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #240
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably. TELUS replaced my old 2Wire modem with a D-Link G3810 when I switched from the old Minerva Telus TV platform to the current MediaRoom system. I quickly found that my wired devices could no longer talk to the wireless ones. I did some digging around in some forums and found that quite a few people have the same issue with the D-Link router.
Do you know what encryption algorithm you are using? TKIP or AES?

Change it to AES only and see if that helps.

I was having a lot of wireless connection problems after I switched from the 2Wire router to the Dlink and changing the encryption algorithm fixed everything. According to my overseas Telus support buddy*, this has been a common problem for the Dlink routers.

*not actually my buddy - just some random dude with an Americanized name who helped me out.

Last edited by Madman; 02-13-2011 at 11:24 AM.