Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-15-2021, 12:07 AM   #741
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The hump is not efficient.

The 777 is lower capacity perhaps, but 2 things have closed the gap: the 777 moving to 10-abreast in economy by pretty much all carriers, and the modern seat configuration that carriers are choosing with elaborate low-density first and business seats. Air Canada has 450-seat three class 777, with 60+ more seats than Lufthansa's 3-class queens. There is no longer a need for the 747 to exist.

Nobody is maxing out seating in the current 777 to the extent that the 77X has lower max seating capacity than the 77W it replaces, because why have an extra set of doors when nobody will put those seats in anyway. So Boeing took them out.

I don't argue that the 777 is a more efficient airplane and I think everyone knows that any 4 engined aircraft is starting to go by the wayside.

For most people who are into aviation, the 747 is an icon and easily recognizable compared to a 777. Anytime anyone draws a 747, you instantly know it's a 747 because of the hump. Of course, airlines don't make a decision to buy a plane or a manufacturer make a decision to keep building a plane because it's recognizable.

Once the passenger versions of the Queen goes, I (selfishly) would never be able to experience what it's like to sit upstairs on the 747. While it might not be anything special, I still think it would be an experience.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 11:12 AM   #742
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada will start flying 737MAX for passenger flights on Feb 1.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/Air-...ebruary-1-2021
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:47 PM   #743
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

And WestJet will start flying the MAX on Thursday morning, WS115 to Vancouver departing here at 07:50
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 09:13 AM   #744
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit dark but I caught the first flight this morning, going back out for the return from YVR, sked 14:20 arrival.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1352285097647509505
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 11:39 AM   #745
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

CMA suspending three routes in western Canada (non involve Calgary). These are regional routes and the Federal Government has stated they expect airlines to maintain regional service (whatever that means). Without government support and with the continual message not to travel I don't know how they (Feds) expect airlines to continue bleeding money. Air Canada jsut suspended a number of routes (including western Canadian) and is laying off close to 2000 employees. This isn't getting better but the government keeps it's head firmly in the sand.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...896331295.html
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 10:10 AM   #746
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
Once the passenger versions of the Queen goes, I (selfishly) would never be able to experience what it's like to sit upstairs on the 747. While it might not be anything special, I still think it would be an experience.
I thought the upstairs in the 747 was my most enjoyable cross-Pacific flight. Due to the shape of the fuselage, there is tons of storage room beside the window. The attendant to passenger ratio is much higher (that may be just because it is business class up there). There is less stress as it feels like a much smaller plane, there is not a long trek to the washrooms and standing in line in the aisle. You can get up and stretch, it is quieter, less busy and does not have the herd mentality like econ class. Well worth it, if you can book on points
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:44 AM   #747
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1352633328973864966
Old 01-23-2021, 12:20 AM   #748
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure it is related to anything from the previous incidents, but boy, this doesn't help to calm fears surrounding the Max8...

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/westjet-c...-max-1.5278617
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:52 AM   #749
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the kind of minor issue that crops up when a plane has been sitting for 2 years, wasn't a big deal and they didn't want to do an engine run with the passengers on it presumably for optics reasons. With a 787 leaving within an hour with plenty of open seats also going to Toronto, it was an easy decision to cancel.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:34 AM   #750
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's the kind of minor issue that crops up when a plane has been sitting for 2 years, wasn't a big deal and they didn't want to do an engine run with the passengers on it presumably for optics reasons. With a 787 leaving within an hour with plenty of open seats also going to Toronto, it was an easy decision to cancel.
What does an engine run look like?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:30 AM   #751
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just involves starting the engine and possibly bringing it up to a prescribed thrust setting, depending on what is being checked. If they have to bring up the thrust to a higher setting they would need to taxi the airplane somewhere on a taxiway where that could be done safely.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #752
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
And of course every mainstream media outlet jumps on it because it was a MAX. It would not have been reported otherwise. This was an engine issue that is not remotely related to the MCAS system which grounded the MAX in the first place, that wasn't mentioned of course. We're likely to see more mechanicals of this nature as MAX fleets come back on line after being in extended hibernation.

Aircraft of every ilk are 'snagged' world over every day for a myriad of reasons, why not report that?

This just instills fear in the general populous who have no clue about differentiating mechanical issues, the MAX is further portrayed to be bad and scary in their minds.

Unbeknownst, the MAX is probably the safest aircraft on the planet right now as it just went through a full and rigorous re-certification process.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #753
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

If so many people had not been criminal negligent this plane wouldn't be in a position to be scrutinized by the media anyway. I don't doubt that it's the safest... but it is what it is.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #754
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I light of yesterday's announcement Air Transat is suspending all flights until at least April 30 and laying off all pilots and cabin crew. After some repatriation flights to get those currently out of the country home they are suspending everything.

There is a human cost to the restrictions we put on, that is true for everything we do as a society but I think both sides of the equation need to be presented to the public. Wage subsidies don't help business if there is zero revenue, many have no choice but to cut staff.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/air-tr...ions-1.5288578
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 12:01 PM   #755
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I light of yesterday's announcement Air Transat is suspending all flights until at least April 30 and laying off all pilots and cabin crew. After some repatriation flights to get those currently out of the country home they are suspending everything.

There is a human cost to the restrictions we put on, that is true for everything we do as a society but I think both sides of the equation need to be presented to the public. Wage subsidies don't help business if there is zero revenue, many have no choice but to cut staff.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/air-tr...ions-1.5288578
I was with WestJet until March 2020 and it was terrible environment at that time with respect to morale and uncertainty. It was pretty devastating working there especially because so many of the people there really cared about the company and considered each other family. Luckily, if you can say that, I took an exit package during our first round of layoffs as I was going back to school and I also wasn't very optimistic about my future there. I stayed in contact with a number of people who were subsequently laid off in later rounds throughout the year. When I left I took my package and was able to sign up for EI/CERB and it was really comforting and secure. My friends went through a lot of turmoil and uncertainty though along with a lot of stress as the wage subsidy programs were being rolled out. At the beginning no one was even sure if WestJet would apply for the wage subsidy as they seemed to be against it.

I hope the best for everyone in the aviation industry because I know the folks that work in it do so because of their passion for travel. I share that passion and I want to get back to traveling as it is something that provides a lot of balance and mental well-being in my life.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #756
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1357760768737906689
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:19 PM   #757
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was reading the Superbowl flyover could be a combo of B1's / B2's / B52's

Best part of any Superbowl for me.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:07 AM   #758
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon45 View Post
Was reading the Superbowl flyover could be a combo of B1's / B2's / B52's

Best part of any Superbowl for me.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 07:36 AM   #759
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something to keep an eye on:

United to Work with Archer Aviation to Accelerate Production of Advanced, Short-Haul Electric Aircraft

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301225798.html

https://twitter.com/user/status/1359494631717818368

https://twitter.com/user/status/1359513809925332993

Last edited by Bigtime; 02-10-2021 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:09 AM   #760
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What could they can realistically get the range to?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote