Old 01-15-2021, 06:59 AM   #181
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
thanks for the update

they lost one game in OT...not going to run the table

spend your money how you like but seems silly to come to a game thread and tell everyone you are too busy to watch the game

You’re spot on and that was silly. Just frustrated after I saw the first period update, which is no excuse. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2021, 07:08 AM   #182
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

With only 6 opponents all season it is going to be so important to game plan correctly for each one.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:11 AM   #183
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I thought it was pretty entertaining considering the short camp and no exhibitions. Almost but not quite a carbon copy of the Montreal Toronto game. Calgary won the special teams and play in the first. Winnipeg pushed back and just like Montreal, Calgary got into penalty trouble and coughed it up. 3rd periods in both games were pretty even.

All I know is Cal/Winn and Mont/TO were better played games than those two slop fests Van/Edm were involved in.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #184
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I'm sure all of you that have played hockey remember what those first couple games feel like. Especially with no preseason or warmup games.

Sand in your lungs and cement in your legs once the adrenaline dump is over.

That's what I saw. They looked dead on their feet.

If you watched the Oilers and Canucks after those two teams looked 1000x better than the first game. I expect the same from the flames!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #185
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames game, seemed very similar to many that occurred last season.

Flames have a strong period, however have long lapses....

I thought outside of the 1st period the Jets were the better team.

Monahan line still struggles 5 vs. 5.....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:14 AM   #186
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

That first period was awesome and I was very excited how the team played. Classic Flames just let the Jets get back in the game and had a hard time pushing back.

Laine is one ugly human geez but he was dialed in.

I hope we see better from Lucic or he will be routinely in the press box as he was horrible out there last night.

I did like Bennett’s game and hope he find his way up the line up
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #187
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
That was kind of a BS call on Lindholm that caused a 5on3, when a few minutes before Wheeler had an obvious hook on Nordstroms breakaway and no call occurred.

Flames were lucky to get a point
It was a chicken #### call to give the 2 man advantage and so was the whistle right when Backlund scored when the puck wasn't covered. Phucking #### refs again. Those two things and the big save by the winnipeg d-man cost the game.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:18 AM   #188
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't know what to think about Ward. In the first, they played with speed, they had the transition game going, they activated the D. They did everything I want to see. Was thrilled, and thought "yes, ward is giving us the style of play we need"

Then, knowing the Jets would push back in the 2nd, he starts the 4th line. They can't make a pass, and stand still in their own zone, and boom the entire momentum of the game is changed. Maurice adjusted. But Ward didn't. Then they spend the rest of the period standing still, trying to chip it out and chip it in. They couldn't make a pass to save their lives and as a result, spend the entire period defending. Not blaming Ward for all of that, but I would have like to see him make some adjustments.

Moving Bennett to Backlund's line in the 3rd was a good adjustment though, and probably is what saved them a point.

It was game 1, with no pre-season games, so I don't think we should over-react. We got a point on the road, on to the next one.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 08:19 AM   #189
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Ward didn't anticipate the adjustment and went with what worked in the 1st.

We can joke that its pre-season for coaches too etc but that was pretty short sighted and worrisome even if it is just game 1.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:20 AM   #190
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
It was a chicken #### call to give the 2 man advantage and so was the whistle right when Backlund scored when the puck wasn't covered. Phucking #### refs again. Those two things and the big save by the winnipeg d-man cost the game.
The amount of blame the ref calls is actually sad. It goes both ways, and is an easy cop out. There was a missed trip call on ehlers in the first 10 minutes, the puck being shot out of play and the phantom too many men as well. Don't get me wrong the Backlund whistle was bad, and the 5 on 3 was suspect but good christ enough with blaming the refs for a loss.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #191
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
He was not good at 5v5 and he was good on the PK. He seems to be effective in short bursts and can win the odd battle but he doesn't really have the ability to sustain anything.

I think Simon is probably better. I would go with these lines next game:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Dube
Gaudreau - Monahan - Simon
Mangiapane - Backlund - Bennett
Lucic - Ryan - Leivo
This is what I was thinking as well, but maybe with one adjustment. I know that Lucic was good in the playoffs, but I have always felt that vets start the season slow, and build as it progresses towards the playoffs. I thought Looch was our worst forward by a fair margin. Against VAN, I would like to see:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Dube
Gaudreau - Monahan - Simon
Mangiapane - Backlund - Bennett
Nordstrom - Ryan - Leivo (until Leivo gets going)

I would also prefer:

Giordano - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson

We can rotate Lucic and Nordstrom
Old 01-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #192
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
The amount of blame the ref calls is actually sad. It goes both ways, and is an easy cop out. There was a missed trip call on ehlers in the first 10 minutes, the puck being shot out of play and the phantom too many men as well. Don't get me wrong the Backlund whistle was bad, and the 5 on 3 was suspect but good christ enough with blaming the refs for a loss.
I will say, the Flames did get away with quite a few penalties. With the lackluster 40 minutes (2nd and 3rd period), I will just take the point and move on. For example, I really think Hanifin should’ve gotten 5 and a game for his boarding on Connor and Andersson cleared the puck without any other stick deflecting it. Both of those plays were at crucial times and the Jets could’ve capitalized on them.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #193
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Those bad calls directly cost goals!!!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #194
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would anyone watching last nights game still not be interested in Laine at all? He really commanded that game on the Winnipeg side.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #195
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Would anyone watching last nights game still not be interested in Laine at all? He really commanded that game on the Winnipeg side.
I mean, it was just one game. He’s pretty inconsistent. However, that OT goal was a beauty. Got backchecked and lost his handle on the first shot attempt, but adjusted accordingly in a manner of a second and still managed to pull off a better shot than most. I wasn’t even mad.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #196
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I mean, it was just one game. He’s pretty inconsistent. However, that OT goal was a beauty. Got backchecked and lost his handle on the first shot attempt, but adjusted accordingly in a manner of a second and still managed to pull off a better shot than most. I wasn’t even mad.
Right? It was like a magic trick. I had to see it a few times because at first I thought Monahan drilled it into his own net.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #197
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
The thing that pisses me off about the officiating is the whole game management thing. I highly doubt they call that if the Jets were winning or the game was tied. They just have to involve themselves somehow.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #198
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Those two calls directly resulted in goals!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #199
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some specific thoughts...

Backlund was our best forward overall
Once put on Backlund's line, I thought Bennett was our best forward in the 3rd.
Thought Monahan and Gaudreau were good in the first, but then reverted to the issues we have seen for a while.
Tanev was terrific (not his fault he was on the ice with Lucic a lot)
Thought Valimaki had a shaky game. Liked Nesterov.
Thought Hanifin played well, and Andersson was terrific in the first but then faded.
Mangiapane had a tough game, just couldn't get himself involved in the play.
I agree with EE, that Tkachuk needs to quit with the cute #### and focus on making higher percentage plays.
Markstrom was really good - tough game in that every goal he had no chance on. However, he needs to stay in his goddamn net.

I think there were a lot of positives, despite the collapse, and I think this team is going to be really good.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #200
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Some specific thoughts...

Backlund was our best forward overall
Once put on Backlund's line, I thought Bennett was our best forward in the 3rd.
Thought Monahan and Gaudreau were good in the first, but then reverted to the issues we have seen for a while.
Tanev was terrific (not his fault he was on the ice with Lucic a lot)
Thought Valimaki had a shaky game. Liked Nesterov.
Thought Hanifin played well, and Andersson was terrific in the first but then faded.
Mangiapane had a tough game, just couldn't get himself involved in the play.
I agree with EE, that Tkachuk needs to quit with the cute #### and focus on making higher percentage plays.
Markstrom was really good - tough game in that every goal he had no chance on. However, he needs to stay in his goddamn net.

I think there were a lot of positives, despite the collapse, and I think this team is going to be really good.
First game with a new system, and new teammates. Did his playing the puck lead to a goal against? Nope. It's a non-issue.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post: