Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #3461
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
A quick pic makes it a lot easier to assist.
First pic is the side where the leak was running down the inside. The next is the other side of the window, but there was a small crack beneath the old trim. The last pic is from the ceiling where there was another roof leak. I was planning on scraping off the popcorn, doing a skim coat with mud and then painting white.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #3462
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There is someone on this board who works at TimberTown... who was it again?

I'm interested in knowing a but more about the difference between the Trex product vs the TimberTech product. Which one is better?

Alternatively, anyone else have any experience with composite decking manufacturers?
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #3463
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post

I'm interested in knowing a but more about the difference between the Trex product vs the TimberTech product. Which one is better?

Alternatively, anyone else have any experience with composite decking manufacturers?
Bigtime is your man.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #3464
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post

Bigtime

The NE one on 12th St.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #3465
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
First pic is the side where the leak was running down the inside. The next is the other side of the window, but there was a small crack beneath the old trim. The last pic is from the ceiling where there was another roof leak. I was planning on scraping off the popcorn, doing a skim coat with mud and then painting white.
I would just sand the paint a bit (Gently) and then repair/flatten the spots with mud or putty and feathering it out. Trying to remove the old tape and replacing it is going to open a huge can of worms and likely will result in it looking more bulky (and likely worse) than just feathering out the cover up.

Plan for the ceiling sounds good
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:38 PM   #3466
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Bandsaw: totally depends on what you're building. I have a passable 18" one (made by a company that no longer exists, but basically the same as a Rikon), but it's always been a bit annoying to keep adjusted and aligned properly. If you don't see much wide resawing (6+ inches) in your future, a good quality 14" one might be all you'll ever need. Sometimes they pop up used for a good price.

Dust extraction: Cyclones are great (I have a Clearvue one), but they're hideously expensive. But anything is better than nothing, so get whatever you can afford or even just use a good vacuum if that's all you can justify. Too much dust (or pretty any MDF dust) is awful for your health and super annoying to work with.

And if you see yourself doing cabinetry or doing finish carpentry type stuff, consider a track saw. I have a Makita one and it's great. I get cleaner and more accurate cuts in plywood with it than I do on my cabinet saw. It's not crucial if you're mainly doing solid wood furniture though.

Also probably the most important thing for anyone doing woodworking:

USE THE GUARDS AND SAFETY EQUIPMENT THAT COMES WITH YOUR TOOLS!

A lot of guards (particularly table saw ones) can be a little annoying and most people just throw them away, but that's an awful idea. Even seasoned pros make mistakes and end up maiming themselves. My advice is either get used to using the stock ones or replace them with something better. Since riving knives have mandated, the guards on new saws are a lot better, but if you have an older saw it's probably pretty clunky. But don't throw it away, there's usually an easy way to modify it to you can pop it on and off as needed for non-through cuts or dados.
I need to fully adjust my band saw sometime, I don’t use it fir much other than scroll saw type stuff.

On dust collection, my dad has a great shop setup in his attached garage, and has a great dust collection system. Even with that, he was still being affected by sawdust. Lots of hardwoods are toxic, but you don’t notice too much until it’s sawdust. He got himself a 300cfm fan with a large washable cylinder filter that right the opening of the fan. That cleans all the floating dust out of his garage that doesn’t get caught by the dust collection.

And I’ll echo the safety stuff. Keep guards on, remove loose clothing, DO NOT wear gloves.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:31 PM   #3467
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The trick is to basically clean the window,
I’d add: really, really, really clean the window. Use a razor blade to make sure that there is no debris or baked-on dirt on the window, because that stuff will cause air bubbles to appear and/or ruin the window film from sticking properly.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #3468
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Re: Safety. Always, always use eye protection. Less than a year ago I took a rogue piece of shrapnel to my cheek just beneath my eye.
Yesterday, wore eye protection literally all day while working. Took them off as I finished up, and then noticed a broken screw, and tried to break it off quickly with a hammer.

12 hours of work with power tools, totally fine. 2 seconds of oversight and I have a tiny piece of screw apparently embedded in my caruncle. SMH.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #3469
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I need to fully adjust my band saw sometime, I don’t use it fir much other than scroll saw type stuff.

On dust collection, my dad has a great shop setup in his attached garage, and has a great dust collection system. Even with that, he was still being affected by sawdust. Lots of hardwoods are toxic, but you don’t notice too much until it’s sawdust. He got himself a 300cfm fan with a large washable cylinder filter that right the opening of the fan. That cleans all the floating dust out of his garage that doesn’t get caught by the dust collection.

And I’ll echo the safety stuff. Keep guards on, remove loose clothing, DO NOT wear gloves.
When making sawdust in the in the shop I wear a mask, have been using the same medical masks so popular nowadays.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #3470
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[QUOTE=CroFlames;7688560]Thanks again for the info kind internet stranger. I will mostly be building furniture, and I want to try different hard wood species. Speed is not a factor for me since wood work is a hobby for me and it's my excuse to unplug while I'm doing it evenings and weekends. My priority is the quality of the surface the planer produces. I've been leaning toward the DeWalt benchtop, but it doesn't have a helical head so I started wondering about quality. Maybe traditional knives are good enough and a scrape or sand will take care of the rest.

I started with a bench top planer but soon traded it off. I do all my thicknessing with a drum sander (delta 1836) so no more worries about grain tear out on expensive wood.
I am strictly hobby worker myself, have never sold anything. It’s real easy to give stuff away..
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #3471
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

BUMP: Anyone have any local recommendations on interior painting companies/contractors?

We’ve got a stairwell/hallway that spans 2 stories of our home that we need to get painted, along with some interior trim/doors that have wear & tear from the cat.

If there’s anyone you’ve used before for similar jobs let me know.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #3472
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

+1, I should probably paint my rental condo near downtown.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #3473
jeffh
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I pm'd you two, regarding professional painters.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 11:13 PM   #3474
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Start my full bathroom reno on Thursday. Pray for me.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:44 PM   #3475
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it a problem if my house gets dry so my hardwood floors creak?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #3476
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have a roofer they can recommend?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #3477
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is it a problem if my house gets dry so my hardwood floors creak?
Do you have a humidifier in your house?
I'd bet if you measured the humidity in your house you would see it's really dry. Which is common in winter months. Dry wood shrinks and wet wood expands. Its perfectly normal and not a huge issue. I would bet the creeking in the floor would fix itself in the spring time.

Last edited by Deviaant; 02-04-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #3478
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I've used Meerkat on a couple of houses now. No complaints on their work, they went the extra mile to help me solve some attic ventilation issues. Price seemed fair.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 08:36 PM   #3479
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
I pm'd you two, regarding professional painters.

Hi, could you send me that info too? Thanks.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 10:07 PM   #3480
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post

Darren from DAZA roofing, does amazing work and great prices. You won’t be disappointed

https://www.dazaroofing.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration For This Useful Post: