Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #361
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Love this thread, so many cool insights- thank you for posting.

This video popped up on YouTube for me and I thought it would be interesting to those who read this thread, perhaps slightly off topic

Canadian Air Force from Cold Lake landing at LAX.

Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:59 PM   #362
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's an old show on youtube called Jetstream its about 8 epsiodes long and follows a training class of Canadians pilots learning to fly the Hornet. Its a really interesting look at the training.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:20 PM   #363
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

When I was in Cadets and got my glider pilot's license I learned the thing I fear isn't crashing and dying, it's ATC and the radio. Once we had to land our gliders at an actual runway rather than just the little training airstrip and of course I was one of the ones to do this. My instructor sure let me squirm as I panicked through it.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #364
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So the interesting thing is that LT COl Riel Erickson had a pretty colorful career, I think she's now the commanding officer of the air force training program in Moose Jaw.
She was the first female pilot to intercept a Russian Bomber.

She also caused some controversy in her home town. I think that the story was they had a local festival and a part of that was an old tractor that took part in a parade. It broke down and the town couldn't afford to fix it so they started a gofundme, or to sell it. It wasn't very successful until Riel offered to buy the tractor, and everyone was happy until she said that she was going to haul it out to a field and drop a bomb on it. After that donations ramped up and the tractor was saved.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 01-12-2021 at 09:03 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #365
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh, yeah. North Korea just held a military parade. This was the shortest interval between two North Korean military parades with the previous one on 10 October 20. These aren’t cheap to stage and Kim has been quite open recently about North Korea’s economic difficulties.

New SLBM

Short-range solid fuel missile. Looks similar to conventional KN23/KN24 but with some differences - possibly to indicate a tactical nuclear variant. At any rate, the pointy warhead pleases the Dear Leader.

MRL/SRBM

New SAM or is it their new Iskander-like cruise missile?

Last edited by Baron von Kriterium; 01-14-2021 at 07:07 PM.
Baron von Kriterium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:39 PM   #366
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

New Nork tank looks like a cross between an Abrams and a T-14, but probably built on a T-62 chassis.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #367
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Iranian sub-hunters (Sea Kings, by the way) taking video of the USS Georgia in the Persian Gulf. This makes for great Iranian propaganda but the reality is the Persian Gulf is not an ideal operating environment for subs of this size, meaning it wouldn't be that difficult for the Iranians to track it. Plus, it is quite likely that the sub wanted to be seen to make a statement.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1349737503545180160

Last edited by Baron von Kriterium; 01-15-2021 at 09:50 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 08:52 PM   #368
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If I remember right the Georgia is a converted Ohio, its designed for deep water operations.

Yeah I agree, this was a statement more then anything else. You have a cruise missile submarine in your neighbourhood.

Its probably the submarines that are in the Gulf that they're not seeing that they should be worried about like the Virginia class.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #369
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Iranian sub-hunters (Sea Kings, by the way) taking video of the USS Georgia in the Persian Gulf. This makes for great Iranian propaganda but the reality is the Persian Gulf is not an ideal operating environment for subs of this size, meaning it wouldn't be that difficult for the Iranians to track it. Plus, it is quite likely that the sub wanted to be seen to make a statement.
https://twitter.com/user/status/349737503545180160
Not to mention the vast majority of the clip shows part of the Sub above water - I understand that while the Persian Gulf is still an large area, but to an uneducated observer, that seems... sad to brag about finding?

Your twitter link didn't work for me, found this video online

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...itary-exercise
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:35 AM   #370
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems to me that the perfect time for the south to strike the north would be when these parades are held. They could literally wipe out half of their war stock, not to mention a significant number of troops and the dear leader!
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #371
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I doubt the South has all that much interest in doing that. The last thing they want is the refugee rush from the North due to a war. They're just perfectly happy with keeping Kim on his side of the fence while dealing with the occasional blustery show of force.

If an army moves on its stomach, I doubt that the North Korean Army in its current state is all that much of a real war threat. The big threat is the Artillary band that the North Korean's have built targeting soul and of course their nuclear program.

And if you kill Kim the fatter, who knows what rises up behind him or what happens. And if you kill the leadership and leave a vacuum that's filled in by the Army it becomes very bad.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:26 AM   #372
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Not to mention the vast majority of the clip shows part of the Sub above water - I understand that while the Persian Gulf is still an large area, but to an uneducated observer, that seems... sad to brag about finding?

Your twitter link didn't work for me, found this video online

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...itary-exercise
The Twitter link should work now; I missed the number '1' at the beginning of the Twitter ID.

I'm not sure Iran is bragging; they're just reporting what they saw. It's no different than the Americans showing their flag, letting the Iranians know they're there. The Iranian response is, yeah, we know you are there and we can sort you out if and when the time comes.

But, you see, the Americans can then just say, well, you only know we're there because we told you last month. The USN made a big show on 21 Dec, announcing the Georgia entering the Gulf. It made a port call in Bahrain, too, so it wasn't any secret.

Relating to this, the USS Ohio made an appearance on 4 Jan 21 in Guam.

At the time of the USS Georgia detection, the Iranians were conducting a naval exercise - testing an anti-ship missile. It seems the Georgia attempted to enter the exercise area but left once it knew it was detected.

Subs aren't difficult to track in the Gulf; the average depth is 60m. It's a bath tub for submarines which can quickly turn into Davey Jones' Locker for them. They can attack first, but it's a high probability they wouldn't be able to exit the Gulf.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:55 PM   #373
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Meanwhile, as the Americans strut their nuclear submarine in the Persian Gulf, the IRGC Aerospace Force conducted their own show of force today. They exercised their first multiple ballistic launch since 2005 and introduced a new loitering drone. The test distance for the missiles from 700 to 1000 km. All told, they launched 17 ballistic missiles of varying types.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1349998197364715522

This is likely a short range ballistic missile which may/may not have a separable warhead. The effect of terminal phase guidance on the movement and accuracy of the missiles is evident. Five small targets and five missiles. The circular error probability is under 50m by the looks of it.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1350032650799611904

Shahed-161 Loitering Drone
In the first video at the top of this post, you can see four flying in a tight formation. Advanced AI flight control according to the Iranians.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #374
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Baron/Captain - I believe its been said before, a big thanks to both of you for providing so much insight within this thread, your breadth of knowledge is unbelievable!
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 04:58 PM   #375
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Baron makes me look like a rank amateur

Old 01-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #376
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

IRGC continued with their ballistic missile exercise today. They fired an anti-ship ballistic missile 1800 km at a target in the Indian Ocean. It seems the missile impacted "dangerously close" (as defined by Fox News) to a commercial freighter. The USS Nimitz was about 100 miles from the target. The freighter? Twenty miles.

edit: haha. Fox News changed the story from "dangerously close" to "close".

https://twitter.com/user/status/1350526440220057600

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/New...e-Indian-Ocean

Hitting a stationary target with known coordinates is one thing, but hitting a moving target without real-time target acquisition is another.

RumInt on the Iranian nuclear deal...
https://twitter.com/user/status/1350504628631298049

Last edited by Baron von Kriterium; 01-16-2021 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Fox News updated their story
Old 01-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #377
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hitting a moving target with radar acquisition and modern anti-air/anti-missile capability is a completely whole other dimension,

Dangerously close feels like some missile operating screaming A-4 and the target screaming "Miss" then nuking them out of existence.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #378
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Part of the solution is maneuverable warheads that will have RADAR/IR/Optical terminal guidance.

But you still need to know where the target is. The big question with respect to target acquisition is how do you achieve over-the-horizon TA? A typical Iranian asymmetrical approach might be swarms of drones, but that can waste a lot of resources.

So a combo of satellites and drones. TripleSat, Jilin-1, Zhuhai-1, SuperView-1 will be complete next year for higher res satellite imagery.
https://eos.com/superview-1/
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #379
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At least one B-52 assigned to the 5th Bomb Wing [Minot, ND] flew over the Middle East in an “observable” demonstration of military power, U.S. Central Command wrote in a press release today. The flight is the second of its kind in 2021.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1350821395673055237
https://twitter.com/user/status/1350708761493700608
Old 01-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #380
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Part of the solution is maneuverable warheads that will have RADAR/IR/Optical terminal guidance.

But you still need to know where the target is. The big question with respect to target acquisition is how do you achieve over-the-horizon TA? A typical Iranian asymmetrical approach might be swarms of drones, but that can waste a lot of resources.

So a combo of satellites and drones. TripleSat, Jilin-1, Zhuhai-1, SuperView-1 will be complete next year for higher res satellite imagery.
https://eos.com/superview-1/

The Russian's had a great solution in the bad old days. Navstar down looking radar satellites. Bear Bombers with look down radars and radar and signal intercept systems, and a flock of high speed Backfires carrying lots of missiles.

Iran doesn't have anywhere near that capability or even ability to overwhelm a battle group defenses. Also I have my doubts that satellites would survive in a modern theater of war for very long.