Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #1421
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

C-FIVO is an amazing tail number, or whatever the hell the term is for helicopters.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #1422
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I admit it, I snickered...but I do like the dark blue with the silver hawk logo over the straight black, hawk decal and yellow lettering.
I agree, I always thought the blue and silver looked sharp
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #1423
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assume colloquially the program will still be known as Hawcs?

Either way, slick looking airframe. Good for the CPS, give them all the tools and equipment they need. CPS is over-vilified right now and even just having something like this at their disposal is a good reminder of our appreciation for what they do on a daily basis.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:14 PM   #1424
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Assume colloquially the program will still be known as Hawcs?
Yup. It's still the Helicopter Air Watch for Community Safety program. The program hasn't changed, the birds have just aged out.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 10:00 PM   #1425
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I assume you mean 'how', and the answer to that would be two.

CPS is currently still using HAWC1 (as noted on it's sales pitch) but they recently added CFIVO, which took HAWC2's place.

CFIVO is an Airbus H125. Here's a short vid the Herald did on the new 'copter

Spoiler!
C-FIVO also has HAWC 1 on the section directly under it's main rotor. Does that not mean it is HAWC 1?
Old 01-12-2021, 03:27 AM   #1426
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
C-FIVO also has HAWC 1 on the section directly under it's main rotor. Does that not mean it is HAWC 1?
I dunno how the Air Support unit wants to/will do their naming after this. I just know that the 'actual' HAWC1 is still flying under that callsign, and the new helicopter goes by CFIVO.

Maybe when they have both new ones in service, CFIVO will swap to HAWC1.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 03:42 AM   #1427
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh man! That is super cheap!! Do you get to keep the searchlight and the guns?

What about parking?
I remember in Elementary school shortly after the city bought one of the first choppers, the chopper landed in our school yard. Prior to that, all the classrooms were given a heads-up about the arrival and were allowed to brainstorm and select a single question from each class to be asked to the officer/pilot. I remember after much ''deliberation", my class' question was what kind of cool weapons does the chopper have?

I think we were all expecting it to have some kind of cool equipment like terminator-style chain guns, lasers, and other 90s action movie guns to mow down houses, hollywood-style.

I'll never forget how dejected my classmates looked when the officer simply said there are no guns; the only weapons are the pistol the officer's carry. Next question. Bummer

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-12-2021 at 03:45 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #1428
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I remember in Elementary school shortly after the city bought one of the first choppers, the chopper landed in our school yard. Prior to that, all the classrooms were given a heads-up about the arrival and were allowed to brainstorm and select a single question from each class to be asked to the officer/pilot. I remember after much ''deliberation", my class' question was what kind of cool weapons does the chopper have?

I think we were all expecting it to have some kind of cool equipment like terminator-style chain guns, lasers, and other 90s action movie guns to mow down houses, hollywood-style.

I'll never forget how dejected my classmates looked when the officer simply said there are no guns; the only weapons are the pistol the officer's carry. Next question. Bummer
Yeah. I was there. Remember?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #1429
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other day, the January photo from the CPS K9 calendar hit the internet, causing a bit of amusement:

Spoiler!

Today, they release an outtake:

Spoiler!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #1430
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^As an outtake that photo has remarkable symmetry, with each dog on either side doing the same thing. It's a remarkable photo actually!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #1431
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/no-kn...uple-1.6069205

Why are police doing (and more importantly the judge allowing) no-knock raids over drugs? Forgetting that the tip came from a criminal in exchange for cash, I feel like we should have learned a lesson over the last year...

Then of course the landlord is on the hook for $50,000 worth of damage, that the city/police won't have to repay, and all they found was some personal weed that they didn't even bother to take into evidence.

People could die like Breonna Taylor cause some cop saw someone going into their house with a garbage bag.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #1432
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

Why are police doing (and more importantly the judge allowing) no-knock raids over drugs? Forgetting that the tip came from a criminal in exchange for cash, I feel like we should have learned a lesson over the last year...

Then of course the landlord is on the hook for $50,000 worth of damage, that the city/police won't have to repay, and all they found was some personal weed that they didn't even bother to take into evidence.

People could die like Breonna Taylor cause some cop saw someone going into their house with a garbage bag.
This is Canada. We dont learn. This is the way.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #1433
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

This happens frequently. Usually not noteworthy because the victims are not white, middle class families.

There needs to be significantly stronger requirements to obtain a no-knock warrant. There was literally no reason for it in this case except they were worried that any drugs might get flushed. That shouldn't be sufficient cause to endanger civilians and police officers.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #1434
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
This happens frequently. Usually not noteworthy because the victims are not white, middle class families.

There needs to be significantly stronger requirements to obtain a no-knock warrant. There was literally no reason for it in this case except they were worried that any drugs might get flushed. That shouldn't be sufficient cause to endanger civilians and police officers.
Vancouver seems to offer evidence that they're not needed. They seem to be doing fine without the tactic.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #1435
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

To be fair they found a half kilogram of cocaine, 253 grams of methamphetamine, 25 grams of fentanyl and six kilograms of cannabis, as well as some weapons at his dealers house, looks like they wrongly thought he was more than just a customer.

The no-knock warrant thing seems to add an unnecessary amount of risk for everyone involved. Who cares if some drugs get flushed if it means no cops or potentially innocent people get killed.
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #1436
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's Talk about the Calgary Police Service

Could they literally turn off the water if they’re concerned about suspects flushing drugs down the toilets? Is that even a thing? Do drug dealers run drills and have only enough drugs on hand that can be flushed quickly?

I’d be pissed though that they aren’t responsible for costs associated with a poorly executed search. Are the police playing the “just sue us” game?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:24 PM   #1437
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't really understand how the police or city are not on the hook for the cost of that damage. Putting the cost on the police would drive some accountability and likely reduce the number of these no knock warrants as well.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #1438
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I love it when blatant and raging incompetence is not only accepted but encouraged. Sounds like a great place to work if you’re into terrorizing innocent people and destroying private property without recourse.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #1439
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I love it when blatant and raging incompetence is not only accepted but encouraged. Sounds like a great place to work if you’re into terrorizing innocent people and destroying private property without recourse.

Prosecutors and judges have pretty much carte blanche to screw people over with near impunity. Had somebody wrongfully imprisoned? Don’t worry about.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #1440
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had a police? helicoptor doing low-runs over our NW neighborhood last night from about 2am to 230'ish. About every 2-4 mins. No searchlight though. Just low loud runs at probably a few hundred feet. Talk about disrupting sleep. very annoying. Probably doing a thermographic camera grid to catch all the neighborly friendly giant grow ops.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote