Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-13-2020, 12:54 AM   #21
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
What are you trying to accomplish with that many smart bulbs? Going full colored smart bulbs through out a home seems like way overkill to me. Color smart bulbs in a bathroom is weird. Doing color bulbs in a whole home sounds either super psychedelic or like a huge waste as you'd rarely use anything other than white for the vast majority of the bulbs.

Consider getting cheap $2-4 LED bulbs and pairing it with a smart sensor/switch/smart plug instead of doing just pure smart bulbs with hub. You should be able to do dimming and turning off via phone or whatnot for a fraction of the cost. (ie: Track lights)

Consider only acquiring high end smart color bulbs for certain high traffic areas, inexpensive smart color bulbs for lower traffic areas. Cheap brand color smart bulbs should be around $20 for decent ones on Amazon and white light smart bulbs should be able to be acquired for as low as $10.

Ya, good points. I have a habit of going all in or nothing. One thing I feared was ending up with different levels or tints of white light. Nothing would drive me crazier than lights in two rooms being a different tint of white light. I dislike the 'warm' white that just looks like yellow light to me. I like the bright 'cool' white I believe they call it. I'm told most people hate that one as it's too clinical or office like for them.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #22
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
Ya, good points. I have a habit of going all in or nothing. One thing I feared was ending up with different levels or tints of white light. Nothing would drive me crazier than lights in two rooms being a different tint of white light. I dislike the 'warm' white that just looks like yellow light to me. I like the bright 'cool' white I believe they call it. I'm told most people hate that one as it's too clinical or office like for them.
They should offer daylight-balanced white bulbs for people like us, but I couldn't find any. I bought a couple multi-colour Sengleds on clearance. Their daylight isn't really correct, but since I have two bulbs I have one set to their daylight and the other is just the right amount of green to offset the magenta tint of the first one. And "warm" or "soft" whites are indeed totally yellow.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:25 PM   #23
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
Are you talking about the difference between 2700K, 3000K and a 5000/6000K bulb? Those are blatant differences and I agree that the differences between those colors of "white" drive me bonkers if done incorrectly. Figuring that part out is very important. I agree.

I seem to recall the hue bulbs I got in 2015 are capable of imitating all the white colors between 2700K-around 4500K and have other colors too.

But the point of colored smart LED lights is more to play with dimming and other colors beyond the typical 2700K, 3000K and 5000K. So that's why most of us who do it end up pairing it with dimmers and cheaper ones for the 2700/3000/5000 for areas that don't need the color and then the higher end smart bulbs for the areas that we want to implement the color.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #24
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welp, should have listened to you Diemenz. Bought a 4 pack of Petme bulbs and had them packaged up for return within 2 hours of receiving them.

I mean they work, sure. But the app is awful, bulbs aren't as bright as I hoped and wasn't linking with Google Assistant.

Guess if I want to do this I might as well do it right and pull the trigger on the more expensive bulbs.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #25
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Here's my 3 Hue uplights in our patio planters. Have since added a bollard light to the setup as well.
String lights are not smart lights, just cheap LEDs put on a timer/remote.

Holy crap, party at Winsor_Pilates'!

Nice place, man.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #26
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Holy crap, party at Winsor_Pilates'!

Nice place, man.
Thanks! Looks even better when the bbq is covered by my bright red Flames cover.
My Vancouver neighbors love it
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #27
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you want color changing bulbs, IKEA has their own TRADFRI line that's worth exploring.

I am a SmartThings user, and find that many of the ZWave bulbs are better than many of the WIFI products, especially for security. My favourites are the bulbs from Singled. They have both colour (RGB) and white/white tunable bulbs. They are affordable, bright and have good colour reproduction. If you want to use Wifi they have a hub you can buy (which isn't needed if you use a Zigbee hub like Smartthings).

Another affordable brand I've had good success with is Sylvania Smart+ line of bulbs. I don't like the colour reproduction as much, but they're still a good affordable bulb and go on sale at Amazon quite regularly.