Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #1821
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Shimano 105 just seems to be a sweet spot unless you are an ultra-competitive professional who needs mechanically perfect shifts or to save a few grams here and there. Going up to Ultegra, Di2, Dura Ace, etc. increases costs but also seems to decrease long term durability!

It seems like electronic shifting and disc brakes are the future for competitive road bikes but I'd wait a few years for the technologies/designs to mature instead of being a guinea pig.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #1822
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Shimano 105 just seems to be a sweet spot unless you are an ultra-competitive professional who needs mechanically perfect shifts or to save a few grams here and there. Going up to Ultegra, Di2, Dura Ace, etc. increases costs but also seems to decrease long term durability!

It seems like electronic shifting and disc brakes are the future for competitive road bikes but I'd wait a few years for the technologies/designs to mature instead of being a guinea pig.
I've got 105's on my cyclocross bike and they are perfectly adequate

Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #1823
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I ended up buying this bike to hit some trails with some buddies at work:

It's the Norco 2014 Fluid 7.2 and I got a pretty good deal from Pedalhead in Avenida.

We took it out to the Jumpingpound Loop trail on Sunday for my first action on trails and what a blast it was. The bike ate up a lot of the roots and rocks with no problem and even made it so I maybe got going a little faster than a rookie 40 year old should probably be going.

One tiny spill but otherwise it was a great balance between uphill/downhill and some open flats - any other recommendations for a new trail rider?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #1824
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
I've got 105's on my cyclocross bike and they are perfectly adequate
I've said it many times. If I was buying a bike to ride around the world, it would be equipped with 105. Tank like durability, but still incredible quality. Most touring bikes are 105 equipped for it's legendary durability. For 99% of riders, you are better with 105. And parts are ridiculous cheap and available online.

A buddy of mine wanted to put a new drivetrain in his 7 year old carbon road bike. So he found a really nice aluminum clearance bike from Jenson USA with full 105 including cranks for $699. Stripped off all the drivetrain components, shifters ...etc and got $600 selling the frame, bars, seat, post, fork and wheels separately. So he got a brand new drivetrain for 99 bucks...lol. Pretty smart way to do it.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #1825
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
any other recommendations for a new trail rider?
my first recommendation would be ensure you have the basic tool and parts kit to save yourself from having to walk your bike out from somewhere, a good hydration pack is also a solid investment.

otherwise, next thing you may wish to consider would be clipless pedals and shoes......a bike computer is also a nice gadget - you can get a basic one for $25 or so, or go up to a garmin with the built in map display.

then you get into upgrading your rig - tires, rims, various components etc.....
Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #1826
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Well, JPL is where I always take new riders, so your friends did good with that selection.

Next I'd suggest riding out at West Bragg Creek. Braggin' Rights to Reconnect to Long Distance (go out on Long Distance until you hit the nice view point then turn it around and come all the way back on Long Distance) is a really fun loop.

If you like that, then Ranger Summit to Strange Brew is a good loop from the same trail head, a little tougher climb, a little bumpier on the way down.

If you're riding those comfortably, then there is a whole ton of goodness at Moose Mountain you can try out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #1827
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
A buddy of mine wanted to put a new drivetrain in his 7 year old carbon road bike. So he found a really nice aluminum clearance bike from Jenson USA with full 105 including cranks for $699. Stripped off all the drivetrain components, shifters ...etc and got $600 selling the frame, bars, seat, post, fork and wheels separately. So he got a brand new drivetrain for 99 bucks...lol. Pretty smart way to do it.
that's very clever

Old 08-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #1828
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the basics; tools, a spare tube, a good pair of shorts and/or liners

also, check out Map my Ride...it's a great app, lots of little things in the pay version worth having if you spend much time in the saddle. I've got it on my iPhone, then I bought a QuadLock rig for each of my bikes. Now I have my phone strapped up, safe and handy, I can access the app as needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #1829
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

While the n00b advice is flowing, does anyone have a suggestion on a low-traffic area to practice technical skills (low traffic as in no audience haha)? been about 14 years since I last mtb'd seriously and about 25 since my bmx days so I'm pretty much n00b again. finding these new 650b bikes with a steep head angle to be cumbersome. very difficult to pedal wheelie and manual over obstacles, let alone front brake pivots. thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #1830
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ 2 x 4 or some other wood scrap on your front driveway?

edge of a curb - something at a nearby park/green space.

Othrwise, COP has a skills area with higher features
Old 08-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #1831
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm in my late 30s with white-collar musculature/athleticism. I really dont want to be practicing wheelies around 14 year olds, be it with COP kids or my neighbor's haha. I only wish I were still 14 and doing the stairs outside Esso Plaza. Was looking for more of a short loop with a little of everything where I could practice form...

Last edited by cracher; 08-26-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #1832
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
I only wish I were still 14 and doing the stairs outside Esso Plaza.
I think those all got ripped up!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #1833
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ so to summarize! you are looking for a place that has bike features, but that no other bikers are using.........
Old 08-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #1834
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yup. I guess I deserve that response lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #1835
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Just got a brand new Specialized Hardrock, amazing bike. Blown away by how much quality you can get for $600. It's not high end obviously but it rides so smoothly and it has disk brakes which is an entirely new thing to me. Kind of puts my old Gary Fisher to shame.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #1836
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Yup. I guess I deserve that response lol.
I was thinking, and there are some features at the Canmore Nordic Center and the last time I was there it was not overly busy
Old 08-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #1837
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^Soft Yogurt at the Nordic Centre is a really short trail, full of table tops, rollers, massive berms and kickers. I've never seen another bike on it on any of my passes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #1838
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Just got a brand new Specialized Hardrock, amazing bike. Blown away by how much quality you can get for $600. It's not high end obviously but it rides so smoothly and it has disk brakes which is an entirely new thing to me. Kind of puts my old Gary Fisher to shame.
Might I ask where you purchased it?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #1839
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thank for the tips. Heading out to Nordic center on Saturday. Have done west of the daylodge extensively, but never south or east... looking forward to this.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #1840
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm heading out to COP tomorrow to check out the trails there - looks like from the website that's it's pretty fun?
Closed Thread