Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #21
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to know about something imminent and life altering, yes. Some rare and unlikely medical condition, I don't know.. but I guess I would have to report it, if it was part of an application form.

More sobering is, what is stopping a health or life insurance company from acquiring 23 & Me or Ancestry DNA? What is their retention policy anyway of user samples and results? They're obviously keeping some of it if they can match family members to each other.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #22
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

More sobering is, what is stopping a health or life insurance company from acquiring 23 & Me or Ancestry DNA? What is their retention policy anyway of user samples and results? They're obviously keeping some of it if they can match family members to each other.
Considering public databases are able to access genetic information (at least anomalously) from these companies I would say much of the information may be out there already. If police are using public data to solve crimes there would be no reason other companies (insurance etc.) could build databases as well. Or use the data to help classify the risk they give you.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/dna-fam...case-1.4412759
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

What happens when people find out "dad" is not dad?

http://theconversation.com/what-are-...r-father-24802

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-bargained-for

Last edited by troutman; 12-06-2019 at 03:53 PM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #24
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

A coworker found out about a half sibling in California that she never knew about. Her mother’s child. Her mother died 14 years ago and never told the family.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #25
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Considering public databases are able to access genetic information (at least anomalously) from these companies I would say much of the information may be out there already. If police are using public data to solve crimes there would be no reason other companies (insurance etc.) could build databases as well. Or use the data to help classify the risk they give you.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/dna-fam...case-1.4412759
GEDmatch was a website where people uploaded their own DNA. It didn’t come directly from the paid companies. They’ve also stopped making that data available to law enforcement.

It was primarily for people to identify long lost relatives. It isn’t like they just had full access to all of Ancestry etc DNA database. People who used those types of services chose to share it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #26
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point, which isn't to say things can't change, you don't have to disclose anything about these tests when you apply for insurance (life or otherwise).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #27
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I was just going to post the same thing.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have to disclose knowledge of pre-existing conditions?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #29
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fuzz, there are some family related questions and lifestyle related questions for insurance. For example when we got critical illness insurance we were rated higher as scuba divers. There were questions about any diseases parents or siblings had. We have a cancer gene in the family which could have upped my premiums however my DNA tests showed I don’t have the gene. There can be advantages to DNA tests. This particular test was a true medical one though not from the kits.

We have done the ancestry DNA kit and it has some interesting results. Every few months it seems with more results, they fine tune things more and more and your ancestry locations can change a bit.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #30
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
If they can find a use for my DNA they can go nuts. I think people underestimate how easy it would be to get your DNA anyways if they were some evil corporation with plans for world domination.
Anyone with access to anywhere you spend significant amount of time in would be able to get a DNA sample from you.

I t did the 23andme test about ten years ago. It connected me with my grandfather's cousins. Pretty cool imo.

Theoretically an insurance company could deny you coverage if you failed to disclose finding of a disease in a genetic test. If anyone is worried about that, just buy your insurance first.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #31
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
At this point, which isn't to say things can't change, you don't have to disclose anything about these tests when you apply for insurance (life or otherwise).
If you know about a pre-existing condition and fail to disclose theoretically that could result in a decision if insurance, depending on how the disclosure questions are written.

Even if you don't have to disclose the test, your knowledge of the test and failure to disclose could be an issue.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #32
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If you know about a pre-existing condition and fail to disclose theoretically that could result in a decision if insurance, depending on how the disclosure questions are written.

Even if you don't have to disclose the test, your knowledge of the test and failure to disclose could be an issue.
No, it's specifically a part of applications now that states you don't have to disclose these results from genetic testing. There's a significant difference between purposefully not disclosing a pre-existing condition (actual illness/injury) and a genetic test that might or might not show a predisposition to certain illnesses.

Like I say, at this point in time, they specify that they're not asking and you don't have to disclose these tests. Will that change down the road? Perhaps. My guess is it would come down to selection bias, but I wouldn't know of the timeline.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #33
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Ancestry tests don’t even give you that information anyways so it’s moot.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #34
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

No chance. I don’t want to deal with the insurance complications and I think it’s a violation of my close relatives’ privacy to basically put their DNA online at the same time.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #35
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Fuzz, there are some family related questions and lifestyle related questions for insurance. For example when we got critical illness insurance we were rated higher as scuba divers. There were questions about any diseases parents or siblings had. We have a cancer gene in the family which could have upped my premiums however my DNA tests showed I don’t have the gene. There can be advantages to DNA tests. This particular test was a true medical one though not from the kits.

We have done the ancestry DNA kit and it has some interesting results. Every few months it seems with more results, they fine tune things more and more and your ancestry locations can change a bit.
That's bizarre (about the gene). I do business with a number of companies and none ask that question. As mentioned in my other post, companies specifically note that they're asking medical questions and not asking about these genetic tests.

I misread this, and if that was a "legitimate" DNA test that might be the difference.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #36
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
No chance. I don’t want to deal with the insurance complications and I think it’s a violation of my close relatives’ privacy to basically put their DNA online at the same time.

Just to be clear for anyone who is considering getting an Ancestry test, neither of these have any basis in fact and should not be a reason to scare anyone from getting one done.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-07-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #37
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ancestry tests don’t even give you that information anyways so it’s moot.
23andme tells you all kinds of things though. Personally, I don't want to do this based on the same reasons that others have posted, but my wife did. I guess it’s interesting, but I do worry about all this information just floating around as well.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #38
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I was referring to the actual Ancestry tests. Not DNA tests in general. There seems to also be a lot of confusion in this thread about what each company actually offers.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:26 PM   #39
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just to be clear for anyone who is considering getting an ancestry test, neither of these have any basis in fact and should not be a reason to scare anyone from getting one done.
How is either wrong? If I find out about some condition or high risk potential do I not have to disclose it on future insurance questionnaires if asked? As for the second, do you know how they caught the golden state killer? That’s the idea I’m getting at. You can learn a hell of a lot about people from the DNA of their relatives.

They’re perfectly sound reasons to not want to participate and things people should include in their research before doing it themselves.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #40
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
How is either wrong? If I find out about some condition or high risk potential do I not have to disclose it on future insurance questionnaires if asked? As for the second, do you know how they caught the golden state killer? That’s the idea I’m getting at. You can learn a hell of a lot about people from the DNA of their relatives.

They’re perfectly sound reasons to not want to participate and things people should include in their research before doing it themselves.
The answer to the first question is no. You don't have to disclose it at this point.

I agree with you about the second issue and related use of that data.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: