Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #2101
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Every market has sweetheart deals. I'm in a class B and we paid absolutely nothing for the first year of our lease.
The deals get better in the B & C class space. Not to say that good deals done exist in the A class market but on a net effective basis you still pay more for A class.

In today's market tenants who have space in the B market have two choices to make do I (i) stay in my same space and get a renovation allowance from the Landlord to freshen things up (new carpet and paint) and cut my rent costs by 30 - 40% or (ii) pay roughly what I pay now for rent but move into a A class new building with new improvements.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #2102
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strategic Group puts 50 of it's properties into creditor protection.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tion-1.5393055

Likely to be a few more more methinks....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #2103
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
The deals get better in the B & C class space. Not to say that good deals done exist in the A class market but on a net effective basis you still pay more for A class.

In today's market tenants who have space in the B market have two choices to make do I (i) stay in my same space and get a renovation allowance from the Landlord to freshen things up (new carpet and paint) and cut my rent costs by 30 - 40% or (ii) pay roughly what I pay now for rent but move into a A class new building with new improvements.
J Pold, have you found things to be pretty difficult in this environment for you and your team?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #2104
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post

We've been doing quite a bit of work relocating businesses from one space to another.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #2105
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the Strategic filing will have any effect on their under construction residential projects? One Tower in Beltline east end on 10th avenue (was a pit for years) and the Barron Building refurbishment into residential are two that come to mind.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #2106
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I wonder if the Strategic filing will have any effect on their under construction residential projects? One Tower in Beltline east end on 10th avenue (was a pit for years) and the Barron Building refurbishment into residential are two that come to mind.
They claim no:

Quote:
In total, Strategic has 171 properties with 7.5-million square feet, but the assets in its other locales, such as British Columbia and Atlantic Canada, are not part of the filing. Neither are properties under construction or the company’s property management, development and construction businesses.
But that's got to be hubris speaking. No one in their right mind is extending them credit right now, COD only.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #2107
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
J Pold, have you found things to be pretty difficult in this environment for you and your team?
It's been a mix. There aren't many deals happening from expansion or growing business which is really what we need for a healthy market. However there is a lot of activity with tenants coming off paying high rates from leases they signed in 2010 - 2015. If the business is still strong and they still need space they can get a great deal anywhere in city so that's keeping us busy.

Being agents we don't own any properties so aren't exposed like owners are but the battle to get new clients/keep existing relationships is extremely competitive. Overall if you work hard and have creative ideas you should be okay.
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #2108
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
We've been doing quite a bit of work relocating businesses from one space to another.
There are a lot of tenants relocating spaces. In a more normal market you'll generally see tenants renew their leases and be in the same space for 20+ years because moving is a pain in the butt but with so many good deals out there groups are more inclined to move. Still takes a lot of work and patience to get it done though.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #2109
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...421644?cmp=rss

Quote:
More than 1,600 people have signed an online petition against several proposed developments in Inglewood.

Organizers of the petition fear that if buildings go ahead that are taller than the existing 20-metre height restrictions, it will turn Ninth Avenue S.E. into "another bland, commercial wind tunnel."
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #2110
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
This is why we can't have nice things.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #2111
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
This is why we can't have nice things.

It depends on your definition of nice things
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #2112
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I work in Inglewood and while I'm generally for these developments, I get, and even share, some of these concerns.

Personally, my biggest issue is not necessarily one of height, but one of volume. I think what gives a good neighbourhood character is a certain eclectic mish-mash of different forms. You look at the character blocks in Inglewood (or any successful neighbourhood), and there's a dozen different buildings on every block, each with its own particular quirks, mistakes, and eras. Imperfection and variety of form is what gives it charm.

You can't replicate that feeling with these massive half or full-block developments, regardless of the height. They always end up being a little too master planned. Yes, they try their best to design in some variety, but it always feels fake, so you lose that eclectic experience.

I think the key is to prevent too much land from being conglomerated. I'd much rather have 4-6 taller buildings taking up a block, than one shorter monolith that takes up the whole thing.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #2113
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I work in Inglewood and while I'm generally for these developments, I get, and even share, some of these concerns.

Personally, my biggest issue is not necessarily one of height, but one of volume. I think what gives a good neighbourhood character is a certain eclectic mish-mash of different forms. You look at the character blocks in Inglewood (or any successful neighbourhood), and there's a dozen different buildings on every block, each with its own particular quirks, mistakes, and eras. Imperfection and variety of form is what gives it charm.

You can't replicate that feeling with these massive half or full-block developments, regardless of the height. They always end up being a little too master planned. Yes, they try their best to design in some variety, but it always feels fake, so you lose that eclectic experience.

I think the key is to prevent too much land from being conglomerated. I'd much rather have 4-6 taller buildings taking up a block, than one shorter monolith that takes up the whole thing.

I agree, most of the developments in Inglewood, Kensington, Marda Loop and 17th ave look out of place and change the street feel. Having said that something very different like the RNDSQR proposal might work in a Louvre pyramid kind of way
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #2114
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I seriously dig the RNDSQR proposal.

These are great jobs for tradespeople, and the increased density in that area is going to give it more gravity to convince others to be there as well. I really hope Inglewood can develop a proper musical entertainment district.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #2115
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Co-op to purchase the Marada Loop Village site and develop a new grocery store concept with residential units above the main floor.

https://calgaryherald.com/business/l...-in-marda-loop
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #2116
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. Any idea what kind of maximum height we're looking at? 20M?

Trying to find the ARPs on the city website...not working right now. Anybody able to help a noob out? That whole area of calgary.ca seems to be filled with dead links right now...

Thinking about buying a house in the area, would like to become fully acquainted with what's happening around there.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #2117
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that the same concept they're building up here in Sage Hill? I noticed it's also a COOP. We have like 2 COOPs within a 5 minute drive from each other now, and like 3 Sobeys lol.

https://ronmor.findspace.com/buildin...ge-hill-common
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #2118
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting that they chose that location with a Safeway and Blush Lane blocks away. I suppose the density supports it however.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #2119
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This might be old news but I have heard they're doing a similar development at the Dalhousie Co-op.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #2120
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
This might be old news but I have heard they're doing a similar development at the Dalhousie Co-op.
There's also the 16 Ave location, which I believe is going to start this year.

As well their Brentwood location is going to be transformed, although I think that's on hold currently.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote