Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #541
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
I mentioned it above, but as a straight Nexus/Pixel user for years, my switch to OnePlus a few months ago has been the best phone decision i've made.

Very close to stock Android, phone it fast, feels sold in the hand, and is significantly cheaper than a Pixel flagship.
I love my 7 Pro, but I do wish there was an alternative model that was about 25% smaller. Would've been perfect. But then I assume we're compromising battery life and a few other elements by shrinking.
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #542
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAV View Post
I love my 7 Pro, but I do wish there was an alternative model that was about 25% smaller. Would've been perfect. But then I assume we're compromising battery life and a few other elements by shrinking.
I went with the 7t after always getting the smaller versions of pixels (no xl). The 7t seems to be happy medium as I don't find it unwieldy or really, that much bigger than my old pixel.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #543
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Thanks for your reply and info. It's very much appreciated. I agree that steering clear of Huewei at this time is probably the best decision. I'll likely end up waiting for the 4XL to come down in price or see what the 2020 edition lineup of flagship phones has to offer. The One+ 7 Pro with its 256GB and price of 739$ is awfully tempting too

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I have a Oneplus 7T 256gb on its way from aliexpress for $630. I'll lose the warranty, but the deal was too good to not take.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #544
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
As a samsung note 10 plus user, the UI is....meh. it is usable. Google assistant is secondary and no option to replace Bixby (Samsungs assistant). Bright side, you can shut Bixby off completely. And you can easily shut samsung internet off too and go to chrome.

My issue with Samsung is they are the worst at trying to force their ecosystem on you. It takes more effort.to use your.phone the way you want but it can be done. And I'll say the one thing Samsung has over google today is Samsung Pay>>>>>google pay.

I've also lately been getting weird laggy and twitchy responses out of the screen. Typing and zooming are weird lately.

As for huawei, still a bit of a risk getting into them. Not sure when or if they'll ever get back in bed with google.

I'd go Pixel 4 xl before anything. And it's really too bad because Huawei was making the best phones for android.
I don't see any reason why you'd risk a Huawei phone with so many other options out there.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #545
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't see any reason why you'd risk a Huawei phone with so many other options out there.
My wife got a free Huawei tablet when she bought her galaxy s10 phone. I think she just plans on using it for kids apps and Netflix. Should I be concerned about spies getting my precious data?
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #546
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
My wife got a free Huawei tablet when she bought her galaxy s10 phone. I think she just plans on using it for kids apps and Netflix. Should I be concerned about spies getting my precious data?
Less the spying, and more the total uncertainty of what updates and support from Google may show up in the future on an expensive device. That probably doesn't matter much for a viewing platform like you are using it for.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #547
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Less the spying, and more the total uncertainty of what updates and support from Google may show up in the future on an expensive device. That probably doesn't matter much for a viewing platform like you are using it for.

Well, plus the moral quandary of giving money directly to an arm of the Chinese government, while they operate concentration camps and stomp on Hong Kong independence
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #548
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Please no. Not the Hauwei is awesome/evil fight again.

The Pixel 4 is a great phone with a bad price. I've been using it since it came out and am having zero issues with it. Going from a 2 to a 4 is a significant jump and is worth it if you can get it for $700 or so. I thought that Google already dropped the price by $200?

I've never used a 7T personally, but by all accounts it is the current king of the hill. Samsung makes such incredible hardware but drop the ball with their forced ecosystem crap as perfectly pointed out above.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #549
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Please no. Not the Hauwei is awesome/evil fight again.
What fight? Huawei makes great phones, the Google issue can be a worry though for any device after the P30 series. Many don't trust Huawei which is fine, some think they are safe which is also fine. I don't think anyone is interested in rehashing the awesome/evil fight. I'm not.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #550
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

If you subscribe to Google Music you can get a free Google Mini.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/12/14/g...gle-home-mini/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #551
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

Just ordered one, thanks for the link!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #552
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, just ordered mine. It'll be handy to use for voice commands for the Shield as I use a Harmony remote that doesn't have a mic
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #553
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Got mine this morning!!
Old 01-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #554
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Been out of the loop on this for a while.

I know it is possible to pair a heart rate strap with your Android phone, but is it possible to wear the strap in the water, at hockey, etc where I can't have my phone on me? Looking for a better way to track my fitness.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #555
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The strap is bluetooth, so it won't have that much range. I'd think you could pair it with smart watch, or look into one of the Polar units that tracks it all on the watch, then I believe you sync it back to your phone after.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #556
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Been out of the loop on this for a while.

I know it is possible to pair a heart rate strap with your Android phone, but is it possible to wear the strap in the water, at hockey, etc where I can't have my phone on me? Looking for a better way to track my fitness.

I had no issue using smaller wrist trackers while playing, like the lower end garmins. It would store data and sync it to your phone. It was neat for a while to see your shifts and your recovery times, max HR, average HR, etc but the novelty wears off and you just stop using it
Old 01-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #557
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Watch Active that I wear during sports. I was a bit worried that it would wrecked during hockey but I can turn the watch face down.

Seems to work decently well.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #558
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious for anyone with a Samsung (I have S10). Is there a way to erase certain words in the Samsung keyboard? I know how to erase ALL learned words in predictive text, but I just want to erase a few.

I use Swype and on my new phone it's constantly thinking I mean something else, like replacing "to" with "tti" almost every time, etc.. Just want to erase those select few words it keeps inputting that I'd pretty much never use. Thanks if you can help!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #559
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Just curious for anyone with a Samsung (I have S10). Is there a way to erase certain words in the Samsung keyboard? I know how to erase ALL learned words in predictive text, but I just want to erase a few.

I use Swype and on my new phone it's constantly thinking I mean something else, like replacing "to" with "tti" almost every time, etc.. Just want to erase those select few words it keeps inputting that I'd pretty much never use. Thanks if you can help!
In SwiftKey I do this, does it work for you?

Longpress on the word you wish to remove in the prediction bar.
You'll see a popup message suggesting to remove that word from predictions.
Select OK.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #560
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, sadly it's just the generic Samsung one. I'm very mature and sophisticated and thus like it's shortcuts to quickly pull up gifs and Bitmojis, and seems to have way more emojis so I've tried to switch to that with the new phone. But yeah the auto corrects are driving me nuts, I may need to switch back to SwiftKey.

Yeah hard press is how it worked on my S8, weird how Samsung default keyboard doesn't have that. You'd think there'd have to be a way.. but perhaps not
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post: