Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2024, 10:50 PM   #1241
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I watch a lot of Leafs games and 7sed to be a big fan of Brodie when he was a Flame and felt he was underrated at that time, but his game has gone down quite a bit since joining Toronto.
Yeah, his game declined immediately after leaving and has gotten worse.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:00 AM   #1242
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, what would it take to get another pick in the top 15 of this upcoming draft? Ottawa, New Jersey, and Detroit all come to mind as potential teams that might be willing to make a move to get better right now. If Arizona went on a run to finish the season and ended up with a pick outside the top 8, they might fit in that group as well (but I doubt it).

Assuming the flames won’t trade any of their young players (Zary, Coronato, Wolf and Pelletier), I think their top trade pieces as far as value would be, in order:

1. Andersson
2. Markstrom (50% retained)
3. Vancouver’s 2024 first round pick
4. Coleman (50% retained)
5. Sharangovich

The only single asset on that list that I think could potentially return a pick in the range of 15th to 10th overall is Andersson. A top 3 defenceman in his prime with 2 years left on his deal at a very reasonable cap hit. Good leader as well. The flames likely have very little desire to trade him especially with how depleted their defense has become so, if they did, a pick in the top half of the first round would not be an unreasonable return. The free agent market and trade market is thin for right-shot defencemen as well because they are so highly coveted.

I think there are two teams with potentially the most motivation to trade a top 15 draft pick for someone like Andersson:

1. Ottawa - if they keep playing well to finish the season and end up with a pick outside the top 7/8, I could see them making a move like this. They are desperate to get better and especially need to improve their right-side defence. They have 4 years left before Tkachuk becomes a UFA and potentially 3 years until they might have to trade him if he does not re-sign the offseason before going to UFA. Likely any player they pick outside the top 8 in this draft would not be an impact player before then so if they want to try to make their current core achieve any form of success, this move would make a lot of sense.

2. Detroit - if they miss the playoffs, they will have a very frustrated fanbase. They have been rebuilding for a long time and they have a wealth of young prospects in the cupboard. They need to start becoming a regular playoff team and their young defence could use Andersson as a veteran in their top 4. Because they have so many prospects from their rebuild, they could easily afford to give up a pick in this draft for a player that makes them more competitive now.

If the flames end up picking in the top 6 of this draft and could also swing a big trade for another top 15 pick by trading Andersson, I would definitely consider it.

If New Jersey is still hot for Markstrom in the offseason, I would offer him with full retention if it meant the flames could get Jersey’s 2024 first round pick… but I imagine that is a big ask for a 34 year old goaltender even if he had a good season. They might be willing to include a conditional 1st in next year’s draft but it will be tough to get them to trade such a high pick now. Maybe if the flames offered Vancouver’s 2024 first round pick as well, that might sweeten the return enough for New Jersey to go for it.

3 picks in the top 15 would be awesome. Likely a pipe dream but fun to consider.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 10:05 AM   #1243
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Put Buffalo on the Andersson destination list.

NJ will and should pony up the 1st. Give them some retention and let's go!
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:07 AM   #1244
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, think of getting Lindstrom, Iginla and Yakemchuk. Would be amazing and would make for the most fun draft day of all time.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 11:21 AM   #1245
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Honestly, what would it take to get another pick in the top 15 of this upcoming draft? Ottawa, New Jersey, and Detroit all come to mind as potential teams that might be willing to make a move to get better right now. If Arizona went on a run to finish the season and ended up with a pick outside the top 8, they might fit in that group as well (but I doubt it).

Assuming the flames won’t trade any of their young players (Zary, Coronato, Wolf and Pelletier), I think their top trade pieces as far as value would be, in order:

1. Andersson
2. Markstrom (50% retained)
3. Vancouver’s 2024 first round pick
4. Coleman (50% retained)
5. Sharangovich

……..

Don’t forget about Weegar, Kadri and to a lesser degree in value Kuzmenko
All In Good Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:45 PM   #1246
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post

Their top 3 dmen are Dahlin, Power and Bryam.

Can’t see why they are giving up a top 10 pick for Andersson.

You threw NJ name in there, I assume a typo.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:50 PM   #1247
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

I think they were referring to Markstrom, not Andersson.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:53 PM   #1248
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Seems doubtful that Buffalo needs another dman.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 03:32 PM   #1249
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

I'm putting Buffalo in a category with Detroit and Ottawa as being desperate to get out of their rebuild and willing to move the first.

As for who they'd target, I think it's entirely possible that they see Andersson as the fourth top 4... A veteran and stabilizer for a young group.

Could someone else be a better fit there? Absolutely. But I think they'll be shopping that pick.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:37 PM   #1250
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Mangiapane is quite bad this year, and might want to button up on any demands. It’s laughable he’d take that position and I’m at the point where I’m not even sure he’s an NHLer?

Like is he better than all those kids we are bringing up? Maybe, I guess likely more talented, we’ll likely never know though because he doesn’t try and has a very low work ethic. For that alone I’d sit him a few personally.

Like watch him next game- he really is awful. So I have no idea why he’d blame anyone but himself and if he wants out good riddance. Addition by subtracting him.
Yikes that's about 1000% over the top and really speaks to just not liking the player for reasons.

In the last three years he's ranked 22nd for NHL forwards in xGF%. He's a play driver that plays with play drivers.

That's valuable as hell.

Don't like play driving?

He's 101st in the league for forwards in the last three years in points / 60 five on five. With 32 teams that says something.

Not sure what you're seeing to be honest.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 03:51 PM   #1251
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a fan of Mangiapane at his cap hit but he's been gold for a 6th round draft pick. He's honestly been a credit to the amateur scouting department.

I can concede that at the very least but I don't see him as a long term part of this build moving forward. He's more of a roadblock for other wingers in need of stable development time along side Backlund and Coleman while we still have them.

Plus I can't stand how many tires he blows per game.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:50 PM   #1252
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yikes that's about 1000% over the top and really speaks to just not liking the player for reasons.

In the last three years he's ranked 22nd for NHL forwards in xGF%. He's a play driver that plays with play drivers.

That's valuable as hell.

Don't like play driving?

He's 101st in the league for forwards in the last three years in points / 60 five on five. With 32 teams that says something.

Not sure what you're seeing to be honest.
Mangiapane is brutally undervalued on this site. I chuckled when the guys on barn burner were talking about putting Pelletier on that line. In Mangiapane’s D+5 season he was a regular forward on a first place team. Since that season he has been a consistent NHL performer. Not sure I would give him the contract he has but that is what happens when you don’t sign young guys to longterm contracts early, it ends up costing you a lot more. A 6-8 year contract after the 2020 season probably costs you 3.5 million a year. But he is still a pretty good NHL player regardless of the salary.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 06:18 PM   #1253
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mangiapane is the 3rd highest paid forward on the team.
I don’t even remember the last time he scored an important goal or made a play that won a game. He is a passenger most of the time.

I guess he is a legit NHL player but that’s about it. Very mediocre.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 06:52 PM   #1254
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

.Mangiapane is just ok; pretty mediocre.
I feel he'll leave Calgary and become one of those players that bounces around to multiple teams in the years to come.
Always decent but never a core guy.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:21 PM   #1255
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Glencross 2.0
gilligans_off is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gilligans_off For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 08:00 PM   #1256
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would put nobody on the Andersson destination list.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:15 PM   #1257
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Mangiapane is the 3rd highest paid forward on the team.
I don’t even remember the last time he scored an important goal or made a play that won a game. He is a passenger most of the time.

I guess he is a legit NHL player but that’s about it. Very mediocre.
Gee, it’s a real head scratcher how Mangiapane is the third highest paid forward on a team that has lost or traded Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, and Lindholm.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 10:49 PM   #1258
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Lindstrom needs to work on his attitude. Loose cannon on the ice.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:18 PM   #1259
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly, think of getting Catton, Iginla and Yakemchuk. Would be amazing and would make for the most fun draft day of all time.
Fixed your misspelling
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:47 PM   #1260
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligans_off View Post
Glencross 2.0
Glencross was a more reliable goal scorer throughout his Flames career.

Mangiapane had a great season and a half but has been a consistent choker around the net since. Just stating what can be observed most games. Not like he hasn't had his chances to capitalize, he's just become extraordinarily poor at finishing plays now.

He gets into the dirty areas, sure. But he has trouble staying on his skates when any one leans on him, and if Coleman doesn't end up with the puck then those plays in the offensive zone don't really go anywhere.

He's needed to simplify his game and get back to basics for ages now.

Does he even watch tape of his old self when he lit it up? I see very little adjustment and an overall ineffective game where he's a beneficiary of his two linemates more often than not.

More than replacement level but would be seen as expendable on most teams if you just look at last year and this year.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good