Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2023, 03:32 PM   #21
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
You are right. As a business, the NHL should simply excercise a procedure like you illustrated in your first paragraph. End of story from all sides.

What happens instead is that people are as intolerant and unwelcoming to Reimer as he has been to the LBGTQ+ community. Your statement in Bold is a good example of that. People truly intent to be intolerant, which is great, but it mistakenly only goes in one direction sometimes. The intolerance just goes around in circles, round and round, and each opposing group gets louder, louder, more indignant, and less tolerant with each iteration.

It is a big nothingburger if the NHL had a procedure like you mentioned. It is also a big nothingburger if nobody gave Reimer any press. There'd be lots of nothingburgers if every person just accepted every other person as a human and didnt try to impose their beliefs/morals/lifestyles on anyone else. It doesnt look like we are close to that.
Sigh. We've already coverd this with the paradox of intolerance.

powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 03:49 PM   #22
Bandwagon Surfer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
You are right. As a business, the NHL should simply excercise a procedure like you illustrated in your first paragraph. End of story from all sides.

What happens instead is that people are as intolerant and unwelcoming to Reimer as he has been to the LBGTQ+ community. Your statement in Bold is a good example of that. People truly intent to be intolerant, which is great, but it mistakenly only goes in one direction sometimes. The intolerance just goes around in circles, round and round, and each opposing group gets louder, louder, more indignant, and less tolerant with each iteration.

It is a big nothingburger if the NHL had a procedure like you mentioned. It is also a big nothingburger if nobody gave Reimer any press. There'd be lots of nothingburgers if every person just accepted every other person as a human and didnt try to impose their beliefs/morals/lifestyles on anyone else. It doesnt look like we are close to that.

The difference is religion and bigotry are choices, while race and LGBTQ+ are how you are born. Facing consequences for your choices is perfectly fine. Discriminating against people based on how they were born is one of the most vile choices a human can make.

To that the people hating and attacking other people for how they are born, is somehow equivalent to people being intolerant to people who choose to hate and attack others is absurd.

Just look at the outcomes each group wants. The bigots want to forcefully destroy anyone who is different than them, and pass laws and use violence to do this. The other side will happily tolerate anyone minding their own business, and are only intolerant to people who choose to attack others.

You do not see LGBTQ+ people forcing their way in and attacking church services, trying to shut them all down. But you do see people attacking drag shows, and LGBTQ+ spaces. Even though statistically those churches are way more likely to be exposing children to sexual abuse.

This is a very one sided issue. To pretend otherwise requires someone to be so completely tone deaf to the situation.
Bandwagon Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:27 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theres probably more pride in the LGBT+ community than there is in the Flames dressing room...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 05:37 PM   #24
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Edit: website seems too ad heavy but finally loaded properly.

Why would Reimer say this? Not sure why he is being Kadri and his faith up. Like non Christians and LGBTQ are in the same bucket in his mind? He might be an little more messed up than I thought.
He grew up in a mennonite community and his wife went to bible college. Reimer is probably a lost cause.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:00 PM   #25
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not defending Reimer and his stance.

I do find it sad that so many posters take the actions of one individual and use it to attack all people of faith. It is like they see Reimer as the spokesman for more than two billion Christians.

Here is what Pope Francis, the spokesman of 1.3 billion Christians says:

Quote:
Pope Francis criticized laws that criminalize homosexuality as "unjust," saying God loves all his children just as they are and called on Catholic bishops who support the laws to welcome LGBTQ people into the church.

"Being homosexual isn't a crime," Francis said during an interview Tuesday with The Associated Press.
Homosexuality is 'not a crime,' Pope Francis says
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pope-f...lity-1.6725182
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 06:14 PM   #26
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon Surfer View Post
The difference is religion and bigotry are choices, while race and LGBTQ+ are how you are born. Facing consequences for your choices is perfectly fine. Discriminating against people based on how they were born is one of the most vile choices a human can make.
Is this settled, though? I have to say, I've heard people say they doubt this, both in person and media, and I myself am simply unsure how to challenge them. I'm curious to know how you can state that with such certainty.

Quote:
This is a very one sided issue. To pretend otherwise requires someone to be so completely tone deaf to the situation.
If you mean that we ought to respect and protect the rights of marginalized people, then yeah. But if some players feel that this promotes an ideology that they don't agree with, why must they? I don't think them refusing to participate in Pride Night communicates that they shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:15 PM   #27
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post

I do find it sad that so many posters take the actions of one individual and use it to attack all people of faith. It is like they see Reimer as the spokesman for more than two billion Christians.

The pope's words are a day late and a dollar short.

The catholic church still largely views homosexual activity as a mortal sin and an abomination. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathol..._homosexuality

The pope is ok with same-sex unions but not same-sex marriage.

And of course there's the church's long, documented history of child sexual abuse. The church has a TON of work to do if it hopes to earn back any public trust.

I think it's perfectly fair to have disdain for the church itself without having disdain for catholics in general (or religious people in general).
Old 03-19-2023, 06:21 PM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post

I know a lot of wonderful, open and accepting people from a number of different religions, so I know it isn’t the book that makes the person.

That said, it makes me just as sad that people will rush to defend religion from the criticisms against people like Reimer (saying “oh, he doesn’t represent us”), but don’t seem to be in any hurry to be the first to defend the people that beliefs like the ones Reimer holds devalue.

He doesn’t represent all Christians, but it’d be nice if the Christians that remind us of that would show it instead of putting all their focus on saying it, which most often seems the case.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 06:23 PM   #29
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's just it

I have no issues with Catholics, or the scriptures that comprise the foundation of the religion (interpretations aside), it's the church itself - it's abuse of power, and the long history of hypocrisy that permeates it that I have an issue with.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 06:26 PM   #30
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever god/power you believe in, we come from the same one

That's why this distancing/segregating ourselves from another association is horse####

Uniting, rather than building fences is at the core of what your texts taught you, after all (at least in the case of most major world religions)

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 03-19-2023 at 06:30 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:28 PM   #31
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Aside...

Has anyone worked for a company that had one of these events? Were employees forced to wear a pride shirts. Or made people put their pronouns in their Zoom name. Are there repercussions? How would this work in the normal world?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 06:29 PM   #32
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be nice to just watch a hockey game. Minus politics or division.

Those were the days.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 06:36 PM   #33
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post

Those were the days.
Yup... the good ol days... where the privileged got to live in blissful ignorance of the discrimination/exclusion/hate that others had to deal with on a daily basis...

so much better than now where the privileged get to live in blissful ignorance, but are every so slightly inconvenienced every now and then...
Old 03-19-2023, 06:39 PM   #34
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: Nevermind, I'll leave that discussion in the other thread

Last edited by btimbit; 03-19-2023 at 07:03 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:45 PM   #35
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
Is this settled, though? I have to say, I've heard people say they doubt this, both in person and media, and I myself am simply unsure how to challenge them. I'm curious to know how you can state that with such certainty.

If you mean that we ought to respect and protect the rights of marginalized people, then yeah. But if some players feel that this promotes an ideology that they don't agree with, why must they? I don't think them refusing to participate in Pride Night communicates that they shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else.
It is settled (that you are born heterosexual or LBTQ2). I have never heard a straight guy pinpoint the time they decided they liked women or a straight woman pinpoint the exact time they decided they liked men. It is almost like they reached a certain age and then were like “I am a heterosexual” and I am going to try to hook up with everyone.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 06:47 PM   #36
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Those were the days.
To bad bigots make it difficult for everyone to enjoy the game and feel welcome.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 07:00 PM   #37
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Thought one pride warm up jersey thread was enough. But I guess we’re out of Covid threads.
This thread is about the Flames' Pride Night specifically, not Reimer.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:19 PM   #38
STAMPEDRED
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Hope every one wears the warm up unis as they should

This shouldn't be a big deal
“As they should”

Grow up - why is it always a one street must comply to whatever ‘moral standard’ that someone else seems to be required. There’s lots I could say for you to comply with my ideals, yet I don’t. Yet this ‘movement’ allows zero respect or space for those who believe (dare I say even think) contrary to what is being shoved down everyone’s throats.
STAMPEDRED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STAMPEDRED For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 07:22 PM   #39
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAMPEDRED View Post
“As they should”

Grow up - why is it always a one street must comply to whatever ‘moral standard’ that someone else seems to be required. There’s lots I could say for you to comply with my ideals, yet I don’t. Yet this ‘movement’ allows zero respect or space for those who believe (dare I say even think) contrary to what is being shoved down everyone’s throats.
What exactly is being shoved down your throat by a message that says "Everyone is welcome"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:24 PM   #40
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Those were the days.
Ah, the good old days. Like back in 1972 where two teams faced off in September and it wasn't predicated on two separate ideologies battling for supremacy through sport.

Or is it just the queer stuff that counts?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote