Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #361
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
at the second Overtime caller suggesting Virtanen and Brandon Sutter as the solutions for this team.

And now this last caller is complaining about not having Robinson and Keegan ####ing Kanzig in the lineup. Mentioned him and Chara in the same sentence.
That guy was clearly trolling cuz he said they should send Tkachuk to get those guys lol
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #362
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If meaningful changes don't happen by expansion draft time, maybe it's worth adopting Seattle as a second team.

I think I now see what those 'bandwagon' fans saw in Vegas..

Hope.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:21 PM   #363
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Start calling out the players for poor play, poor effort and quit blaming every single thing on the coach. That happens a lot around here. Not everyone does it, but I've certainly noticed a few obvious ones.
Call the players out how? Who calls them out?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:21 PM   #364
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

After listening to Lucic - and actually believing what he says instead of assuming he is just trying to defend his coach who is taking a lot of heat right now - I am actually more in the 'coaching change needs to happen' camp.

Has any of the core been benched during a game for a lack of effort? Sure, we have seen Ward bench (and even scratch) Bennett for a game, benched Dube, and then the revolving door of tweeners on the roster. That's it. If what Lucic is saying is 100% spot on, then in no way is the coach without blame on this.

We have seen coaches around the league scratching players - Torts did it to Dubois and Laine. Mantha has been scratched and benched. Trotz did it to Barzal (last season - not sure about this season). It happens.

Darryl Sutter did it to Jarome and Conroy.

I think the start of the solution is to bring in a coach that will take control of the room. I love Giordano, and in the last two games he was verbally pushing this team, but to no effect really.

I am of the opinion that you bring someone in like Darryl who is not afraid to both praise and reprimand his players. Before you change up the core, I would love it if he (or someone like him) comes in and gets at least a portion of this team turned around, and the ones that he isn't able to get shipped off starting at the deadline and in the off-season.

People criticized Hartley for being 'lucky' in all those late-game heroics. That's fair. However, you watched the game until the very end at least half-believing that they were going to make a comeback. Was anyone sure that they had a solid chance when they were down 2-0? Maybe. I was positive the game was over at 3-1 though.

I think the first step is to get a coach. What Lucic said doesn't get me off the 'change the coach' mindset at all (and please replace Ward with a proven coach for once please!), but I am just more convinced that the coaching change needs to happen and that there definitely should be some major roster moves as well on top of it.

Please don't waste the next 60% of the season waiting and seeing if this team by some miracle this team comes back to life. It has no pulse.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:21 PM   #365
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
The worst stretch in recent memory. Same team was 2nd in NHL recently, same core made a highly entertaining Cinderella run a few years earlier. Both coaches were ultimately flawed but for a while they made a huge difference. Coaches matter.
I almost wish this current team had Stajan and Jones for its fourth line.

Hell, even Colborne.

They'd be more effective depth players.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #366
motorcrosser
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Robert has lost it. Again. So awesome.
motorcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to motorcrosser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:24 PM   #367
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva #7 View Post
Bring back Keegan Kanzig!
Nah. We need Krys Kolanos and Ben Street to save this thing.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #368
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't share Robert's optimism that big changes are coming.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #369
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcrosser View Post
Robert has lost it. Again. So awesome.
He is losing credibility when he calls in and says he wants them to get blown out every game and then he calls in mad as hell when they do
Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #370
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

The decision to fire the coach at this point isn't about the system or the personnel decisions or whatever.

It is about the product on the ice and the fact that the coach is ultimately responsible for that at a game-by-game level.

This is the NHL. It is one thing to be a middle of the pack team, or to be slumping, or to have bad goaltending, but to have such malaise at all functional levels is inexcusable.

It is the coach's fault. End stop. If the team you are responsible for performs so far below expectations you lose your job.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:32 PM   #371
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Seems like it. There’s quite a few that figure this team is good enough if only they played a different system. Or blame a lack of effort on just the system beating them down.
Well I have not seen one who thinks this is an elite team that can compete with the Tampa's or the Colorado's of the league. There are certainly folks, myself included, who think Brad has built a perennial bubble team that should be in a better position to compete for a playoff spot but for the poor coaching. But one would have to be missing a marble or two to look at this team, now or in the off-season, and think that they are built to compete with the big boys. I think any rational hockey observer has known for over a year that this team requires major reconstructive surgery.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:32 PM   #372
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
The decision to fire the coach at this point isn't about the system or the personnel decisions or whatever.

It is about the product on the ice and the fact that the coach is ultimately responsible for that at a game-by-game level.

This is the NHL. It is one thing to be a middle of the pack team, or to be slumping, or to have bad goaltending, but to have such malaise at all functional levels is inexcusable.

It is the coach's fault. End stop. If the team you are responsible for performs so far below expectations you lose your job.

Well said. Unless you are trying to tank and have already unloaded all your good players, its unacceptable to get pumped every other game and be outplayed to start games for the majority of the last 10 or so games. And yes, the players deserve a lot of blame. But at the end of the day the coach is steering this ship as far as on ice performance goes. We've seen this before, any time a team is playing this poorly...its time for the coach to go.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:33 PM   #373
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If anyone is listening to Overtime... I'm currently on hold.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #374
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

As Eichel said the other day, the coach doesn't take the ice with the players. It's up to the players to figure this out. There is something rotten with this core imo. Has been for years.

Regardless, this is a bad year to try to make a change of any magnitude. The pandemic has made everything so much more difficult. I'm guessing Calgary finishes the year with most, if not all, of the same players and staff that they started with.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #375
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames with three great shifts in a row and all of the momentum. Ward then puts the fourth line on the ice for the last shift before a TV time out. Any professional Coach would have shortened the bench at that moment and put the top line out again to tighten the noose. Ward then puts the fourth line out again for the first shift after the TV timeout. Effectively leaving the top line on the bench for roughly six minutes ensuring that they were cold before they went out again. Penalty taken all momentum lost and you can thank the coach for it.

Ward is an amateur
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #376
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He is losing credibility when he calls in and says he wants them to get blown out every game and then he calls in mad as hell when they do
I'm sure he cares LOL.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #377
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just watching the Leafs-Coilers game. Leafs play a game I'd like to see Calgary playing: fast, hard, never quit skating, puck pressure and presence, fast crisp passes (that actually hit sticks...of their own players!). They make mistakes, but they work like hell to patch them up, too. Mind you, they are playing the NoGoods.

Ah, if only....
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #378
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If anyone is listening to Overtime... I'm currently on hold.
I am now.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #379
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

By the end of the first you could say they had a good period. However the first 5? 10? minutes were bad. Especially that first PP. I can see Andersson has a lot of poise and he has the ability but how many of his touches have ended up as SH scoring chances against?

Gaudreau passes off target his entries stuffed. Monahan losing draws. Tkachuk, Lindholm just not making anything happen. The PP is costing them.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #380
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tre should be calling Ron Francis and offering him the entire flames roster in exchange for the picks in the expansion draft

And Francis wouldn’t take it.

Knowing your outlook is worse than just picking the 11th best player on each roster must suck
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post: