Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #261
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
So under what scenario do you hold the players accountable?
When you have a real coach with a legit grasp of NHL hockey, the players that insist on being passengers are shipped out.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:32 PM   #262
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haven't we the fans done that? We have discussed here at CP for a long time that the core needed changes. Many of us were anticipating Gaudreau or Monahan being moved in the offseason and nothing happened. If anything the GM hasn't held the players accountable as he seems to be the lone person on this planet that still believes in this core forward group that's failed him year after year. Too attached and it may cost him his job.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #263
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some comforting OOT news:

Oilers have allowed 2 goals on 2 shots in their game.

Suck it, lurkers.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #264
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate that Lucic interview for one reason:

“Instead of trying to make that play to Benny, I’ve got to get that in”

It’s that type of scared passive mentality that is causing this team to struggle. Trying the pass itself is fine, but if you mess of you better get on your horse and get back. Which is what both Lucic and Bennett failed to do.

To point the finger at attempting the pass itself is why I think it’s also a coaching issue. You fault the effort on the back check there and the execution but not the attempt to actually make a play.

But that’s the issue with this coaching staff. They want this team to play ultra passive, ultra safe, and afraid to make a play or take a risk.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #265
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I have a hard time blaming the players when they are playing so far below anyone's expectations, and they look just terrible doing it.

It's one things to lose games, and another to get repeatedly embarrassed.

I said in the game thread. The Flames were starting to really take over, and press the Sens. We got an offensive zone faceoff and Ward sends out the 4th line. That move stopped the momentum dead. There was no reason to not press with your other three lines to get a goal. Instead Ward sent out his momentum killing 4the line. Brutal game management.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #266
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Lucic's quotes sound exactly like something he would say to Treliving if Ward gets canned.

Can't put too much stock in them because of how close he is to Ward. He brought up how they played last year but they the results were mediocre last year too.

Returning home with a 2-day break and a 3-day break the week after. If the Flames don't move on from Ward now, then it's not happening for the rest of the season for sure.
Lucic also won’t fight Oilers cause he loves those guys too.

Seems like an awesome dude, but his job expectations are unfortunately different than what is really needed here.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #267
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

This season is the pits man
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #268
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

It’s that type of scared passive mentality that is causing this team to struggle. Trying the pass itself is fine, but if you mess of you better get on your horse and get back. Which is what both Lucic and Bennett failed to do.

To point the finger at attempting the pass itself is why I think it’s also a coaching issue. You fault the effort on the back check there and the execution but not the attempt to actually make a play.

But that’s the issue with this coaching staff. They want this team to play ultra passive, ultra safe, and afraid to make a play or take a risk.
Bennett and Lucic don't need to be passing pucks into the middle of the ice...maybe the top two lines but those guys should be nothing but crashing and banging.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #269
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And this is why the games have been so effing boring, and the players look lost most of the time.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #270
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Lucic also won’t fight Oilers cause he loves those guys too.

Seems like an awesome dude, but his job expectations are unfortunately different than what is really needed here.
What Oiler is gonna fight Lucic? Part of the problem is nobody will go with him...he got a fight last game against a heavyweight and made him look like a peewee player.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #271
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
A new coach might give this team a temporary lift but it wouldn't solve the lack of mental toughness in the dressing room. We're too pillowy soft and the players can't hand;e adversity.
Maybe true, but right now there's no leaders on the ice or behind the bench. At least a legit coach gets them part of the equation. These players have always needed a strong leader to coach them. Seems obvious to everyone but the GM.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #272
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
This is so true. Not every team does but the top 3rd of the league are ridiculously fast paced. The Flames haven't looked like that in a long time.
I think a huge part of that is the Flames just aren't a fast team. Tough to play that style when you don't have the horses. Johnny is quick and can dart around pretty good. Chucky is slow. Monahan is slow. Lindholm is average. Backlund is average. Eat Bread is a good skater. Dube too. Lucic is slow. Bennett is average. A few years ago when the Flames looked like a faster team they also had Brodie and Gio to help out the transition and they were both good/fast skaters. Now TJ is gone and Gio is a shell of his former self. That's a big issue too, they do not have any fast skating offensive defensemen.

Tough to want to play a fast/up tempo style when the roster isn't cut out for that at all. It's something I'd like to see addressed in the near future. Besides bringing in players with more heart they need to bring in players that can play a faster style.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #273
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think this team is capable of winning 4 playoff rounds no matter the coach. But I sure as heck don't think this group is as bad as they are playing not even close.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #274
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So under what scenario do you hold coaches accountable. Two can play the cop-out game.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #275
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
This season is the pits man
I thought the shortened 12/13 was the worst season.

This one's really giving it a run for its money.

At least meaningful changes were made in that one.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #276
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Looch interview (hope it's not Fata'd):
https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/big-sho...mes-want-easy/
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #277
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Maybe we start sitting core players in the press box for a few games to send a message or be like Bob Hartley and personaly call out your players in media sessions.
Too late for that now. The going home and 2/3 day breaks becomes the focus. They have 6 home games and lots of practice time to "right the ship".

To have any real meaning, I would:
- Send some guys (42, 20, 81, 29, 6) right down to the AHL, bring some guys up to play on HNIC vs MTL
- ANd sit out all the ON (23, 93, 27, 5 - 88 & 8 get a pass) boys on the return trip to TO.

That's a message.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #278
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

While the coaching staff has a fair share of blame in where this team is mentally right now, this isn't a situation where I put blame. This is Lucic protection of Bennett by taking the blame for Sam's mistake moreso then an insight into coaching strategy.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #279
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Issues with this organization, in my opinion, in order;

1) BT
2) Core
3) Coach

A lot of people aren't going to like that order but I think the structure of the line up is so severely flawed that no coach really has a chance at taking this group to the promise land.

Fire BT immediately, ride it out with Ward for the rest of the season, let the new GM come in and hire his coach and shake up the core. Hopefully acquire a high pick in the lotto.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #280
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

We hear these “not good enough” proclamations from the players after embarrassing blowouts at least once a week now. Sometimes twice. Getting old.