Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #13801
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
If you do a post mortem on where this rebuild went wrong in 5 years...there is no doubt that the mandate of "trucullence" post Feaster for a year derailed us. In a league this close...it just takes a Kucherov and Point pick to turn around the whole next decade. Instead we went after the Keegan Kanzig, Hunter Smith type players. The Schneider over Demko pick even at the time didn't make sense.

In a 31 team league...3 decisions like that at the different between 1st and bubble team.

PS: I recognize it's a fools game to go back and say yes...every team with the 3 best lower pick players would be a Stanley Cup contender...but there is justification in questioning why we chose player A over player B, especially when there were geographical advantages...
What are these advantages??

Every single team in the NHL has at least 1 and likely 2 full time WHL scouts, or guys that cover Western Canada. Every team.

Most of those guys working for those teams also happen to live here or in the West.

Plus, half the games are played on the road...so why would seeing them play in Calgary or close to, pose any advantage to seeing them in Swift Current or Regina or Vancouver??

This is such a silly thing to claim. Its like saying Calgary should get every Swede because Loob is there. Well guess what? EVERY team has a guy watching Sweden as well.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #13802
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geographical advantage has not been a thing since the Habs racked up an obscene amount of SC rings because of it.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #13803
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Yeah, the picking players because they are in "our backyard" is weird. Flames end up with St. Croix from the Oil Kings instead of Gaudreau with that line of thinking.

I do think there's two different arguments happening though. One is having some form of advantage by being able to scout them when they are closer, which I don't think holds true (money into scouting is more important), and the other is somehow making us more attractive as a 'long-term' plan for the draft pick, which I mean the Flames own the rights for at least 7 years and I believe the only two that came up to bite the Flames in recent years was because they were going to play in New York (and not like we care about Tom anymore).
The only way that “extra scouting” could possibly apply locally is maybe the Hitmen and then only because they share a building. Then again, you’d have maybe had Getzlaf here over Phaneuf - nice.

Point was in Moose Jaw - not the easiest place to go and scout a guy. No easier than going to any other WHL city and a lot longer trip than some. And in his draft year his his team was horrible and not getting much attention anyway.

ETA: The Jets were as close to Point’s WHL team as the Flames. Edmonton is about 100km more.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #13804
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman on The Instigators yesterday says a person told him they think there is a possibility Rasmus Ristolainen could be packaged with either Eichel or Reinhart in a trade.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #13805
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Holy heck. Reinhart due a raise and Risto making what he makes, thats an expensive deal.

Even more so if its Eichel & Risto
Old 06-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #13806
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could actually see the Flames having interest in a Ristolainen and Reinhart package
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #13807
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I could actually see the Flames having interest in a Ristolainen and Reinhart package
i wish we would not
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #13808
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I’m not seeing a Risto fit... unless we want Gio to babysit him like he did with Hamilton.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #13809
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Risto + Reinhart combo feels like a Vancouver acquisition to me.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #13810
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Yeah I’m not seeing a Risto fit... unless we want Gio to babysit him like he did with Hamilton.
…yeah, Hamilton did not need babysitting.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #13811
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ristolainen has been tied to the Flames for 3 or 4 years now. Just feels like an inevitability.

I'd be interested in a deal that brought Risto in with Reinhart.

Having 3 RHD in Tanev, Andersson and Risto would be really really interesting. Then on the left side you have Hanifin, Mackey, maybe Gio, maybe Kylington.

Could work.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #13812
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
I'm a HUGE Eichel fan and would be willing to back the truck up for him. Buuuuut, I draw the line at including BOTH Tkachuk and Lindholm. One or the other I think I could get behind, but certainly not both. I think the goal IF we're trying to acquire Eichel would be to keep Lindholm and run with a 1-2 punch of Eichel and Lindolm centering our top 2 lines.
Any deal involving Lindholm plus significant assets is not a deal the flames should entertain. I'd argue in a flat cap world that Lindholm alone may have similar league wide value to Eichel today with his injury concerns. I know some may call me extremely biased for that assessment, but I honestly don't think it's too far off.

Elias Lindholm since arriving in Calgary has produced at a 34 goal, 70+ point pace while having HALF the caphit of Eichel. In addition to that he provides borderline elite level defense and contributes in all areas of the ice (including the penalty kill). Yes, Eichel will produce (if healthy) at minimum another 15-20 points a season but the overall impact of these players is closer than the counting stats make it appear in my estimation.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #13813
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may be silly but the only untouchable player on the Flames has to be Lindholm. For me he has become the rock upon which this team shall be built. I feel like his prime is just beginning.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #13814
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose Risto might be involved if the Sabres are demanding Hanifin as part of the deal. The Flames would need to fill that spot and while Risto isn’t as good, Eichel/Risto for Tkachuk/Hanifin kind of evens out the deal, at least on paper.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #13815
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Burke revealed that Chris Snow nixed Ristolainen trade talks to Calgary based on analytics. If that story is true, then I don't see why the Flames would still want him unless he was added in as negative value to reduce the return or bad contract swap.

https://flamesnation.ca/2019/11/30/b...-on-analytics/

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-18-2021 at 10:49 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #13816
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
how? Bruke said on TV that Snow indicated that Risto was a no go shortly after he left Calgary.

If it drastically reduces the price, maybe

*beat by the master
Old 06-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #13817
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Top 2 things I'm tired of reading about on CP
1. The Flames should have traded for Mark Stone
2. The Flames should have drafted Brayden Point b/c he was "in their own backyard"
Oh man, top 2? Those don't make my top 10. I can even get behind a discussion of both, but only to a point. More like a what if thing. Not a definitive statement that they should have done x.

My top 2 would have to be something about Bennett, Gaudreau's diet or whether coaching matters.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #13818
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

And yet there's still been on going reports and ties to Ristolainen and Calgary in trade rumors 2 years following that Burkie nugget. To me it seems more like if the price was right they'd do a deal instead of a complete no go.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #13819
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
And yet there's still been on going reports and ties to Ristolainen and Calgary in trade rumors 2 years following that Burkie nugget. To me it seems more like if the price was right they'd do a deal instead of a complete no go.
Or they are just remnants of the Flames initial interest resurfacing every time Ristolainen's name comes up in trade speculation.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #13820
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chris Cuthbert saying that Yzerman himself knew he was going to draft Point after seeing him play just one game.

I think it comes down to simple talent evaluation rather than prolonged exposure in the Calgary "backyard"

But with that said, the Flames draft from the WHL way more often than they do from the QMJHL. So they obviously watch the WHL closely.
Closed Thread