Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #13701
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
So taking MTL's 4th line winger and putting him on the top line where he is at best a 3rd liner? Playing him over Mangiapane? Seriously?
I agree that this is the problem. If you sign Armia play him with Backlund and move Mangiapane up the lineup. I don't know why everyone looks at free agents as the final solution, they can be solid contributors and allow the team to build more solid lines. Armia is a very good penalty killer, forechecker and team guy, don't play him, or pay him, above that value.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 11:26 AM   #13702
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
What would be the needed difference to bridge a deal that saw

Tkachuk and #12 2021
in exchange for
Reinhart and #1 2021

A gun.

Buffalo is not trading the first pick in the draft in a deal where the premium part is two years from UFA.

The optics would just be terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #13703
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd never trade Mangiapane for Reinhart. Am I the only one?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #13704
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
no you aren't

getting slower is not a good plan, IMO
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #13705
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I love Mangiapane but if it’s 1 for 1 for reinhart you have to take that. Mangiapane has a great motor and is one of the most consistent players but Reinhart is the better player and makes our team better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can't see the Sabres accepting that deal one for one but I would do it in a heartbeat if I was Treliving.
Ummm...

5v5: *Bolded numbers show who led that category*

Sam Reinhart:

Goals: 13
Goals/60: 0.94

Assists: 6 (5 primary)
Assists/60: 0.44

Points/60: 1.38

ixGF: 8.2
ixGF/60: 0.6

iSCF: 82
iSCF/60: 5.95

iHDCF: 39
iHDCF/60: 2.83

CF% Rel: 2.74
FF% Rel: 4.27
SF%: Rel: 4.07
xGF% Rel: 4.99
SCF% Rel: 0.41
HDCF% Rel: -0.48

Andrew Mangiapane:

Goals: 15
Goals/60: 1.24

Assists: 11 (all primary)
Assists/60: 0.91

Points/60: 2.15

ixGF: 8.72
ixGF/60: 0.72

iSCF: 101
iSCF/60: 8.37

iHDCF: 51
iHDCF/60: 4.22

CF% Rel: 2.77
FF% Rel: 3.32
SF%: Rel: 6.09
xGF% Rel: 6.58
SCF% Rel: 3.60
HDCF% Rel: 6.94

Although I'm a big fan of Reinhart, I thiiiiink I'll stick with the better, much cheaper Mangiapane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I agree

Last edited by AustinL_NHL; 06-17-2021 at 11:46 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #13706
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the least certain draft in years and #1 still isnt in play. I'm starting to feel confident that we will probably never see a #1 pick traded while the cap era persists.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:45 AM   #13707
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane for Reinhart?

It's one of those looks good on paper, but who really knows. In 3 years it could be one of those trades where everyone says "It had to happen 3 years ago to make sense" and we all laugh at the posters who said they wouldn't do it. Or Mangiapane could be a late bloomer and keep up his steady play and the world championship could have been a coming out party and he could even improve over the next few seasons.

I would make that trade.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #13708
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd do that Reinhart trade for sure. A top six center with proven production over a large sample size and a RHS.

He's never scored less than 40 points a year since the get go.

Mangiapane has 2 32 point seasons. Same age.

Sure there's a bunch of factors in there but I do that trade in a heartbeat.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #13709
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

If were looking at Reinhart for fantastic two way play that isn't the fastest skater we could maybe do something around Johnny / Monahan or some combo with Chucky for Courtier+. Then we at least get a 1C. Philly also needs a change of scenery. If were thinking about trading Chucky for better depth, maybe Philly thinks the same way because it isnt working for them over there either.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #13710
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Ummm...

Sam Reinhart:

Andrew Mangiapane:

Although I'm a big fan of Reinhart, I thiiiiink I'll stick with the better, much cheaper Mangiapane.

I agree
Both 25 years old

Mangiapane - 178 career NHL games played,43g, 34a, 77pts (.43ppg)

Reinhart - 454 career NHL games played, 134g, 161a, 295pts (.65ppg)

NHL games are played more than just 5 on 5.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #13711
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ummm...

Sam Reinhart:

Andrew Mangiapane:

I agree
Yes those cherry picked stats are nice and all but Reinhart did score 25 goals in 54 games and special teams count a lot in today's NHL. He's the more talented and better player and you can't even play the age angle because they are both 25. The fact that he had a solid season in that black hole of a team is impressive.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-17-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #13712
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes those cherry picked stats are nice and all but Reinhart did score 25 goals in 54 games and special teams count a lot in today's NHL. He's the more talented and better player and you can't even play the age angle because they are both 25. The fact that he had a solid season in that black hole of a team is impressive.
Reinhart CRUSHED his previous career rates in PP scoring.

1) Very unlikely he repeats
2) He'd very likely be on PP2 in Calgary where his number would fall off a cliff

Andrew Mangiapane was better by a decent margin 5v5 than Reinhart last season and will be MUCH cheaper.

I would love to have Reinhart and would be happy to trade for him, but yet again Mangiapane continues to be severely underrated
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #13713
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
5v5 scoring is not a Cherry Picked stat.

It's the better predictor of future scoring.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 12:13 PM   #13714
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

2) He'd very likely be on PP2 in Calgary where his number would fall off a cliff

Andrew Mangiapane was better by a decent margin 5v5 than Reinhart last season and will be MUCH cheaper.

I would love to have Reinhart and would be happy to trade for him, but yet again Mangiapane continues to be severely underrated
This is just wrong. Everyone here watches Mangiapane just as much as you. Some of us are simply trying to be realistic and not homers. One 25 year old player has eclipsed 20 goals in 5/6 NHL seasons and the other 25 year old player has never eclipsed 20 goals in the NHL.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-17-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:14 PM   #13715
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
All this talk about trading Tkachuk is madness..

A year ago Tkachuk was untouchable and the lifeblood of the team now after 1 bad season and the threat of a $9mill QO and we have all turned our backs.

News flash, his game fell off the rails after he had no support after the puck flip and was told to tone it down. Tkachuk is not the type of player you tell to tone it down unless he is actively costing you games or is licking opponents or something. We need players that lead us into battle. Historically we have been too soft, folded too easily, never had the killer instinct when the smell of blood was in the air. We need a guy like Tkachuk doing what he does best.

Just cause he has a $9mill QO doesn’t mean he can’t sign a long-term deal for less AAV. It actually happens all the time with other RFA’s so I don’t see why it’s all we talk about. It’s just like how we all knew Johnny was leaving as a UFA. Now we all think he will stay..

The core of this team is actually fairly young, we have some high end pieces and some young ones emerging. The sky is not falling.

It doesn’t even bother me that we talk about trading some of our players it’s just we are so contradictory..

We complain about Tkachuk and Monahan being slow but want to trade for Reinhart who has always been known to be not the best skater.

We talk about how Johnny has been so reliant on PP to generate offense but are talking about trading Tkachuk for a package including Olofsson who is historically a poor 5v5 offensive producer. He had 15 of his 32 points on the PP last season. 17 of his 42 the previous season.

This has been one of the most frustrating season as a Flames fan so I get it but it’s even more frustrating reading how quickly we have turned on our players and even worse we are trading them for players that are not going to help us get better.

I just don’t understand the logic of trading the best player in a deal for two lesser players unless you are put into a position where you have to. Especially when said players have the same shortcomings we complain about our other players.
Yeah I'm in the similar boat, not necessarily with the reasons you've indicated, but I'm a fan of what Tkachuk brings to the table and I have no interest in trading him nor do I have problem paying him. You pay for good players in this league and he's a good player. I'd rather pay Tkachuk because I know what he is than pay some other guy to come here who might not fit. In my opinion, he's one of only 2, elite offensive play driving players on this team.

His play below the hashmarks is unequivocally the best on the team, he really drives the cycle game for any line he plays on and is outstanding at absorbing contact and getting the puck to outlets. As he showed with Johnny Gaudreau, he's no slouch on the rush either and that dimension we've never really seen before from him.

So in my opinion, Matthew only has room to grow further as an offensive player and I'd lock him up for a long time assuming Gaudreau does too. His speed is rarely an issue in my opinion because he compensates so well with the puck. He has that rare ability to hold on to pucks and create time and space for his linemates which I think is what helped Johnny Gaudreau explode in the final 1/3 of his season. These 2 have the potential to be the next dynamic duo for this franchise. As weird as this might sound, I see a poor man's Draisaitl-McDavid in Tkachuk-Gaudreau.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #13716
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah I'm with you man, ultra underrated. Mangiapane is an untouchable for me personally. I've been on the sign "Bread to a long term deal" train since 18-19. I probably would've tried giving him the Calle Jarnkrok/Colton Scissons special to really find value. Reinhart is a good player, but if I'm trying to improve my team right now. I'm trading futures for Reinhart, not players that can help you win today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #13717
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Mangiapane is overrated on this board (for the right reasons)

Reinharts worst statistical season in his longish career is like Mangiapane best and they are the same age.

Reinhart put up good numbers on a horrid team that missed Eichel for most of the year. Reinhart has also been on this same team for his whole career that has always been bad. He’s a good fit here, we need a scoring RW and he can do that. He can also play the middle if needed which I don’t think we’d need him for.

I don’t think Mangiapane himself fetches Reinhart, Monahan does though I think

Monahan for Reinhart, and then you can roll with something like

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Reinhart
Old 06-17-2021, 12:33 PM   #13718
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This is just wrong. Everyone here watches Mangiapane just as much as you. Some of us are simply trying to be realistic and not homers. One 25 year old player has eclipsed 20 goals in 5/6 NHL seasons and the other 25 year old player has never eclipsed 20 goals in the NHL.
Unfortunately, it is not even in the slightest wrong.

No matter how incredibly well Mangiapane plays (Flames' best forward 5v5 this past season), there's always a good portion of Flames fans that don't think of him as anything more than a 3rd line forward and happily use him as a throw-in in trade proposals.

Mangiapane dominates both offensively AND defensively.

Doesn't get anywhere close to the amount of recognition and respect that he deserves from this fanbase.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #13719
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Reinharts worst statistical season in his longish career is like Mangiapane best and they are the same age.

Reinhart put up good numbers on a horrid team that missed Eichel for most of the year. Reinhart has also been on this same team for his whole career that has always been bad. He’s a good fit here, we need a scoring RW and he can do that. He can also play the middle if needed which I don’t think we’d need him for.

Would trade Monahan 100x over before I would trade Mangiapane, so this is acceptable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #13720
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, and Sam Reinhart has played top line minutes alongside an elite center since stepping on an NHL ice surface. Comparing their career totals is disingenuous and does not paint an accurate picture as to where they are respectively today. Mangiapane has had to scrape and claw his way up the ranks since Junior.. He has been given no free passes, and it shows in his play on the ice.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread