Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 06:42 AM   #6521
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam Bennett for Brett Connolly, 25% retained? Done and done. Move on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 07:17 AM   #6522
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
When do we start talking about Taylor Hall coming here again?
And why do we wait till they pass their prime and wonder why they don't have it anymore.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2021, 07:23 AM   #6523
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d rather go for Rakell than Connolly. Would do Bennett+ for him.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 07:50 AM   #6524
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I’d rather go for Rakell than Connolly. Would do Bennett+ for him.
I believe Brett Connolly is like to regress back into a 25 point player, which is what he has been for the vast majority of his career.

Rackell on the other hand, has had 40+ points in 5 of his 6 full seasons in the NHL. He's an actual top 6 forward. The Flames have had very good luck with Swedes. With Rackell, the Swedish culture would be overwhelming, in a good way.

He'd be worth the extra cost, and since he's off to a slow start, he'd be cheaper than usual.

Anaheim has shown interest in Bennett multiple times. And they desperately need a young center more than any other team in the league.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #6525
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Sam Bennett for Brett Connolly, 25% retained? Done and done. Move on.
Think it’s still to much cap hit. It’s a flat cap going into next season. Probably going to be able to pick a 3rd liner for under $2 million. I think July 1st free agency will be busy this year. Bottom 6 players that wait to long will be playing for league minimum.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #6526
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I believe Brett Connolly is like to regress back into a 25 point player, which is what he has been for the vast majority of his career.

Rackell on the other hand, has had 40+ points in 5 of his 6 full seasons in the NHL. He's an actual top 6 forward. The Flames have had very good luck with Swedes. With Rackell, the Swedish culture would be overwhelming, in a good way.

He'd be worth the extra cost, and since he's off to a slow start, he'd be cheaper than usual.

Anaheim has shown interest in Bennett multiple times. And they desperately need a young center more than any other team in the league.
If I'm Anaheim, I'm not trading a top 6 forward for one who isn't. I also don't buy into this idea that if a player has a slow start, his value plummets. GM probably take a look at things beyond the past 10 games or so. They're not goldfish.

If you can get Florida to retain salary, or through in a pick, I would go that route. 25 point player for 25 point player.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #6527
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Rakell is pretty much a top line player for Anaheim in the sense that he plays the most minutes among forwards on the team.

They might be willing to move him since they are rebuilding but you're likely looking at Bennett + 2nd at least, and they might even ask for a 1st.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #6528
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on what the Ducks team looks like, I'm assuming they'd want picks and prospects for Rakell
Old 02-03-2021, 08:34 AM   #6529
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yeah they wanted Bennett when they were still a contender. Not too sure what a rebuilding Ducks team is after. That being said, they did sign Shattenkirk so who knows what the plan is there.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:34 AM   #6530
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Order of preference:

Rakkell
Silfverberg
Connolly

Reverse the above for the potential cost. Silfverberg would also require some cap considerations.

Out of left field, but what about trying to trade Ryan for Connolly? I personally don't think he's even worth Bennett at his contract value and playing level .

Ryan+2nd for Connolly - Connolly can play RW with Johnny-Mony while Backlund will have 2 of Bennett, Dube, and Mangiapane to paly with for consistency.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #6531
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ondrej Kase would be an interesting name too, and Boston would probably love Bennett.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:43 AM   #6532
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
JG has got plenty of points, but mostly powerplay. I used to worry about a) the cost of his next contract and b) if not contract, then can they trade him for enough.

But now, i'm meh. His next contract shouldn't be too onerous. Maybe its covid caused, but if the contact is too high and he walks, meh.
This aged well. Beat it troll! Oh wait......
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #6533
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Ondrej Kase would be an interesting name too, and Boston would probably love Bennett.
IMO Kase puts himself into harms way too often. Either he will stop doing that and stop being successful or he will get injured again. IMO of course, but I think he is very risky and not a good candidate for a bennett trade.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #6534
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Order of preference:

Rakkell
Silfverberg
Connolly

Reverse the above for the potential cost. Silfverberg would also require some cap considerations.

Out of left field, but what about trying to trade Ryan for Connolly? I personally don't think he's even worth Bennett at his contract value and playing level .

Ryan+2nd for Connolly - Connolly can play RW with Johnny-Mony while Backlund will have 2 of Bennett, Dube, and Mangiapane to paly with for consistency.
I would also add the 2021 1st and a B prospect attached to Lucic for Silfverberg. At least he’s still a solid player.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #6535
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Bruins fans on HF have proposed Kase+ for Bennett on deals I have seen. Doesn’t mean much but they do value what Bennett brings.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #6536
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Bruins fans on HF have proposed Kase+ for Bennett on deals I have seen. Doesn’t mean much but they do value what Bennett brings.
There are probably a good number of teams with high quality coaches that would love to get their hands on Bennett.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #6537
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
There are probably a good number of teams with high quality coaches that would love to get their hands on Bennett.
With Tre bringing in a high caliber goalie he really missed another important thing is to bring in a seasoned NHL coach with a good track record. Could've fixed the Bennett situation with a coach that knows what he's doing. The organization has mismanaged Bennett so badly. I believe he will be an effective top 6 player if given the right guidance and a prolonged opportunity to do so.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #6538
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
If I'm Anaheim, I'm not trading a top 6 forward for one who isn't. I also don't buy into this idea that if a player has a slow start, his value plummets. GM probably take a look at things beyond the past 10 games or so. They're not goldfish.

If you can get Florida to retain salary, or through in a pick, I would go that route. 25 point player for 25 point player.
Yep. Bennett would really just be a throw-in for cap reasons.
A lot of extra value would have to be added, and it would be worth it.

Rackell's value hasn't "plummeted" but it would likely be slightly less than if he had a hot start. No one on Anaheim has produced, so take it with a grain of salt. Rackell is a solid player and everyone knows it. But he has been up in trade rumors. Anaheim is rebuilding. They don't need to get a top 6 forward back. That would be against the whole point. They just want young assets.

It would be insane to acquire Connelly over Rackell, even with the much higher acquisition cost. One is a top 6 forward, the other is a bottom 6 forward. Even David Jones had better numbers than Connelly prior his acquisition.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 02-03-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:40 AM   #6539
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Player for player trades, sure, but no more spending future assets on this core... unless it's a young star player that will be around for a long time like PLD/Laine.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #6540
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Player for player trades, sure, but no more spending future assets on this core... unless it's a young star player that will be around for a long time like PLD/Laine.
Agree. I see suggestions of Ryan and a second and I just see a waste of a second. You also want to keep Ryan around for his versatility. Move Bennett for the best player you can get and move forward. Hopefully you can get a Connolly or Kase for him. Rakell or Silfverberg seems highly unlikely, especially given their places in the lineup, their salaries, and Silfverberg's NTC. We need to be realistic here. We're not getting a top six player for Bennett or Ryan, even if we added them together. If anything that would drive the price down. Get one of the guys available and hope the middle six player can find some chemistry with our guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread