Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2021, 08:59 PM   #321
Young Guns
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It's strange to me that Mangiapane can play such a straightforward game and, merely, put effort in, and not be a detriment to the team, while all these other guys manage to be so terrible on an individual level so consistently lately.

88 was still getting pucks deep and doing his part to cycle even when the team was down 3-1.

What he's doing can't be rocket science.

Figure it the #### out.
One of the few that looks like he’s actually always trying. Just needs to sharpen his skates so he don’t fall down 3 times a shift
Young Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #322
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. What a pathetic team.

I'm done. Cheering for the flames to lose every single remaining game this year. Loser franchise only knows how to do one thing, continue the losing tradition.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #323
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Start calling out the players for poor play, poor effort and quit blaming every single thing on the coach. That happens a lot around here. Not everyone does it, but I've certainly noticed a few obvious ones.
This. There’s enough blame for coaches, GMs, and individual players to go around.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #324
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I don't think this team is capable of winning 4 playoff rounds no matter the coach. But I sure as heck don't think this group is as bad as they are playing not even close.
Quoted for truth.
The team is playing comically bad hockey. They are capable of playing much better than this.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #325
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

All these "the team isn't elite" comments in defense of Ward are total crap. The team may not have elite potential, but what does that have to do with having a competent coach? Do only elite teams get the privilege of having a good coach.

Maybe a good coach would instill good habits and be part of building a better team.

And for the record, I firmly believe this team has the players to at least make the playoffs.

Hiring Geoff Ward for two more years was the worst move Trelieving has made as Flames GM.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #326
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Guns View Post
One of the few that looks like he’s actually always trying. Just needs to sharpen his skates so he don’t fall down 3 times a shift
He does need to stay on his feet. his only flaw, really.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #327
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I have always been surprised that Treliving's "in on everything" approach was viewed by some as indicative of him being a good GM. IMO it has been indicative of a guy lacking an actionable strategy to building a winner.
Exactly. In on everything, while seldom finishing a deal, means you perpetually overrate your own assets. With Treliving, as you and others have pointed out, it’s not the case with draft picks just players. I don’t know if he gets to know the players too personally or, intentionally or not, feels attachment to his own previous moves, but he has real trouble getting player-for-player-based trades across the finish line. Endowment effect in full display.

He’s the guy in those fantasy pools that allow trades who sends everyone else six trade proposals per day and they are all lopsided. Or a Kijiji low-baller. In on everything but little to show for it.

Now, because everything is to the extreme these days it seems, I’m absolutely not advocating for a Pete Chiarelli approach of constantly reacting with emotion and trading stars for scrubs. Chiarelli and Treliving are on opposite sides of spectrum in my opinion and neither is a place you want to be.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #328
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
Is there a single poster that thinks coaching change will solve all the problems. Seriously even one?
Seems like it. There’s quite a few that figure this team is good enough if only they played a different system. Or blame a lack of effort on just the system beating them down.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #329
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
Is there a single poster that thinks coaching change will solve all the problems. Seriously even one?
Is it the single solution to end all problems? No

Is it the biggest problem? Absolutely
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #330
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
All these "the team isn't elite" comments in defense of Ward are total crap. The team may not have elite potential, but what does that have to do with having a competent coach? Do only elite teams get the privilege of having a good coach.

Maybe a good coach would instill good habits and be part of building a better team.

And for the record, I firmly believe this team has the players to at least make the playoffs.

Hiring Geoff Ward for two more years was the worst move Trelieving has made as Flames GM.
This team has the weakest group of forwards in the division except maybe Montreal, from top to bottom. I’d have said Ottawa, but their guys have convinced me otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:06 PM   #331
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

It’s not the biggest problem, it’s just the easiest thing to do to react. Does another coach get them in? Possibly. Do they win a round? Nope.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #332
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I think a huge part of that is the Flames just aren't a fast team. Tough to play that style when you don't have the horses. Johnny is quick and can dart around pretty good. Chucky is slow. Monahan is slow. Lindholm is average. Backlund is average. Eat Bread is a good skater. Dube too. Lucic is slow. Bennett is average. A few years ago when the Flames looked like a faster team they also had Brodie and Gio to help out the transition and they were both good/fast skaters. Now TJ is gone and Gio is a shell of his former self. That's a big issue too, they do not have any fast skating offensive defensemen.

Tough to want to play a fast/up tempo style when the roster isn't cut out for that at all. It's something I'd like to see addressed in the near future. Besides bringing in players with more heart they need to bring in players that can play a faster style.
Poorly built team, you can't just add pieces here and there and expect tapered results. Hard to identify what kind of team the Flames are! We do have some skill in the lineup but no elite players that can inspire or turn the game on.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #333
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Quoted for truth.
The team is playing comically bad hockey. They are capable of playing much better than this.
Hardly anyone agrees, or it sure feels that way.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #334
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think another coach gets this group in. Nope.
Which doesn't mean you don't make the change.
But I don't think it changes the result of this season.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #335
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It’s not the biggest problem, it’s just the easiest thing to do to react. Does another coach get them in? Possibly. Do they win a round? Nope.
At least the games might be worth watching. What's your solution in this Covid year?
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #336
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Ball was wrong, the Broadway ‘bad rehearsal, good performance’ didn’t apply

Monahan - wear a helmet in warmup
Johnny - wtf were you doing lobbing grenades at the net when people are skating around?
Tkachuk - let’s find a picture of you to put on the side of a milk carton
Bennett - it’s a puck, not a hot potato
Johnny - maybe let someone else carry it in on the PP
Rittich - leave that puck and get back in net
Ward - why not put Rittich at the blue line with intention to pull once you get possession? If you are pulling with almost 4 minutes left, mitigate your risk just a hair, man. Jeez. You are no good.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #337
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
At least the games might be worth watching. What's your solution in this Covid year?
I have no solution. The team is what it is. Sure, change the coach.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #338
king17
Draft Pick

Default Effort

What the Flames need right now is 10 Zach Hymans and they don’t even have one!
king17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to king17 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #339
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post

Agreed, why should we wait until some posters feel we have an "elite" team before we can have a competent NHL coach? That is bass ackwards.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #340
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

Hire a qualified coach should be the first step, and then the players. Doing it the other way around would be a mistake.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote