Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #81
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Williams would be a fine stopgap second line option until we find one through trade that fits the bigger plan.

Flames were ousted after showing lack of toughness and playoff experience. Adding Lucic and Williams to the young group helps you a lot in both aspects.
Yes. It would be a 1-year contract, and it would only be signed if the RFAs were signed, the Flames had the cap space, the Flames were interested, and Justin Williams was interested. For now, I think it would be a good fit, but it remains very unlikely.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 07:18 PM   #82
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd like to see Treliving make a deal involving moving out Brodie or Frolik soon and then look at trading for an RFA not signed that contract will come in around 3 mil. A young player that could be on the verge of breaking out. Preferably a right handed forward.

I'd consider a Gillies buyout too. Not sure what the cost savings is for sending down but the buy out is 125k for 2 years. Saves 625K on the cap

Trade Brodie, I'd keep Stone. Trade Frolik and I'd buy out Stone and keep Brodie unless he is wanted in a hockey trade like the Kadri deal.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #83
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

For what it’s worth, if the Flames traded Frolik, bought out Stone, and signed Williams, I’d try:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Williams
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Bennett
Mangiapane - Backlund - Jankowski
Lucic - Ryan - Dube
LW - Quine - Czarnik
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #84
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames sign Bennett to two-year deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I'd like to see Treliving make a deal involving moving out Brodie or Frolik soon and then look at trading for an RFA not signed that contract will come in around 3 mil. A young player that could be on the verge of breaking out. Preferably a right handed forward.

I'd consider a Gillies buyout too. Not sure what the cost savings is for sending down but the buy out is 125k for 2 years. Saves 625K on the cap

Trade Brodie, I'd keep Stone. Trade Frolik and I'd buy out Stone and keep Brodie unless he is wanted in a hockey trade like the Kadri deal.

Gillies can just be put in the AHL and there won’t be any cap hit at all.

No reason to buy him out.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #85
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Gillies can just be put in the AHL and there won’t be any cap hit at all.

No reason to buy him out.
Doesn't he have a 1 way deal this year? If it's full savings to send him down that and trade frolik should allow tl add a 2 to 3 mil young rfa.

I'm ok going for a Williams type but a young rfa on 2 to 3 year deal at 3 mil could help this team for entire 3 year window not just this year
Old 07-24-2019, 08:15 PM   #86
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For me the term is the most interesting thing.

2 year is surprising.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #87
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yup, Sam has 2 years to prove he is a top 6 forward, then he'll make the big dollars on his next contract.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flames
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #88
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Yup, Sam has 2 years to prove he is a top 6 forward, then he'll make the big dollars on his next contract.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flames
He will be an rfa still so could help the flames keep it reasonable. If his numbers don't get a big spike too I could see it be very reasonable during his prime
Old 07-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #89
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
For me the term is the most interesting thing.

2 year is surprising.
How so?
Honest question as it is what I expected.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #90
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he's betting on himself while the Flames get cost certainty for the next 2 years which times with a lot of the other contracts.
2 years from now some other folks could be moving on, and if he's stepped up - the money will be there
If not, then another reasonable deal gets signed that takes him to UFA or UFA+1.
Seems like the right type of deal given the interests of both sides. He wasn't going to sign a long-term deal if he thinks he has another step to make.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #91
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
How so?
Honest question as it is what I expected.
I know some guys are banking on the cap going up in 2 years due to expansion, so I understand maybe eyeing that term as your best chance for another pay day. And maybe the flames have promised him and his agent a bonafide opportunity to play on line 2 this year, so maybe he sees a couple of big point seasons in his future...

...but if I was him I would've been looking at 3 year term for lower money to get me to free agency in hopes of capitalizing on Gaudreau and Giordano's deals being finished.

He's making 5.1 for the term of this deal. Were I him, I would've tried to get 2.1x3 for a total of 6.3 and unrestricted free agency at the end of the rainbow.

There is a lot of risk in how Bennett plays the game and I feel like guys like him should err more on the side of term rather than cash.

He's also exactly the kind of player who could cash in during a Free Agency bargaining period at 26 years old.

With how the deal is structured now, even if he has a couple of big seasons, the Flames don't look like they will have much flexibility in that 2 year time frame.

Now he's set up to compete with Dube and Valimaki for cap space with a year or so to go before major contracts are up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #92
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is about what everyone expected on the deal. Biggest plus is arbitration is avoided and Flames didn"t over pay. It's all up to Sam to improve his offence numbers if he wants the big numbers in 2 years. That is all that Bennett"s game is missing, love where he is at right now.
Great news this 2 year deal got done!
Old 07-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #93
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

I figure the Flames simply didn't want to go 3 years, and they have the hammer.
The team wouldn't have wanted to pay the kind of AAV Bennett would have wanted for longer than 3, so there they are.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #94
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bennett had filed for arbitration, which would've give him a one or two year deal. Three years just wasn't in the cards.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #95
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty much unheard of for a player to sign a multi-year contract that takes him right to his first year of UFA eligibility. It's almost-always a shorter bridge deal that leaves at least one year of RFA status at the end or a longer deal that buys at least a year of UFA status.

Bennett signing a two-year deal shouldn't be surprising to anyone.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #96
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I know some guys are banking on the cap going up in 2 years due to expansion, so I understand maybe eyeing that term as your best chance for another pay day. And maybe the flames have promised him and his agent a bonafide opportunity to play on line 2 this year, so maybe he sees a couple of big point seasons in his future...

...but if I was him I would've been looking at 3 year term for lower money to get me to free agency in hopes of capitalizing on Gaudreau and Giordano's deals being finished.

He's making 5.1 for the term of this deal. Were I him, I would've tried to get 2.1x3 for a total of 6.3 and unrestricted free agency at the end of the rainbow.

There is a lot of risk in how Bennett plays the game and I feel like guys like him should err more on the side of term rather than cash.

He's also exactly the kind of player who could cash in during a Free Agency bargaining period at 26 years old.

With how the deal is structured now, even if he has a couple of big seasons, the Flames don't look like they will have much flexibility in that 2 year time frame.

Now he's set up to compete with Dube and Valimaki for cap space with a year or so to go before major contracts are up.

No way Treliving would be comfortable going 3 years and walking him right to UFA.
Of course Bennett would want that, but the team most certainly wouldn’t.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #97
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A couple thoughts
- The cap is expected to go up both by virtue of expansion but perhaps moreso due to a new TV deal
- Why would the Flames agree to a 3 year deal that takes him to UFA? They would have rather simply go to arbitration. I see that as the last thing the Flames would have agreed to. For all we know that's what Sam wanted but I don't see him having much leverage to get it.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #98
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Once again Treliving gets the deal done on the low end of everyone's estimates, a lot of people thought Bennett was getting 3 million per minimum.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #99
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
A couple thoughts
- The cap is expected to go up both by virtue of expansion but perhaps moreso due to a new TV deal
- Why would the Flames agree to a 3 year deal that takes him to UFA? They would have rather simply go to arbitration. I see that as the last thing the Flames would have agreed to. For all we know that's what Sam wanted but I don't see him having much leverage to get it.
Agree the flames wouldn't want that, I figured both parties would be more interested in doing 4 years than 2. In fact I thought initially that the salary retention from Edmonton was specifically to help bridge the gap between a 2 year deal and a deal that bought ufa years.

Me personally, love the term. Best case scenario for short and long term for the org. Keeps Bennett hungry.

Also yes to the tv deal.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #100
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad it didn’t get to arbitration with any mean words said and feelings hurt.