Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2022, 03:07 PM   #1
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Dustbusters

Anyone have a good one? Priorities are:
  • High suction
  • Wall mountable
  • Good battery
  • Doesn’t break the bank
  • Is not a Dyson
I realize I can’t have all of those simultaneously. Any recommendations?
Old 11-20-2022, 07:27 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The main thing I hate about most cordless vacuums is the battery is never charged when you need it, or it dies too quickly if you have a big job. They also suck when they start degrading.

So I just switched all my vacuums to Ryobi as I already have a gazillion battery packs from my power tools. All problems solved. If I need power, I just slap in a power tool battery.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/cat.../ryobi/mar-irt

Only downside is lack of the vortex motion of Dysons as that keeps the dirt out of the airflow path so suction doesn't degrade as it becomes fuller.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 08:04 PM   #3
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've had good luck with the Black and Decker Dustbusters. Gotta go 20V though with two models (one that rotates) and they both have docks that we leave it on charging. Less than 20V is weak.

Looks like they are priced high on amazon and homedepot these days. But I had been keeping an eye out on them and got one per floor for < $60 each I believe.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:14 PM   #4
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've had the Bissell pet eraser and been super happy with it.
Our Pyrenees sheds white hair like crazy and it works for us, so should be more than enough for anyone without an extreme shedding pet.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:21 PM   #5
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw this on sale, no idea if it is good. Seems expensive but on sale now.

$100 instead of the usual $280(!?!)

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...644465&irgwc=1
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:44 AM   #6
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything with a paper cone filter is ####e. Suction will degrade like crazy. I didn't want a Dyson stick either and I bought one for around $150 and I thought it was awesome. So I bought more at 3-4 months as gifts, only to abandon it within 11 months of purchase. By month 4-5 I was cleaning the filters out every week or two just to maintain suction. Yes, you can replace the filters for $10 a piece, but that's not including the damn rollers getting strangled by human hair which I also had to do every few weeks. Using it to clean up dry kid messes must have been murder to it. I think I might replace the cones and then gift it to a friend. It still looks pretty good, but it performs like ####e.

I paid $550 for the Dyson stick sometime this summer and it's been consistent the whole time. The base suction is higher than the cheapo stick I purchased. It has a "Max mode" for turbo suction. The basic roller is supposed to be hair clog free. I don't have to touch anything to empty the canister (slides hair wrapped around the inside when you lift the lever to empty the canister). It sucks up a ton of fine particulate like a full size vacuum, stuff the cheap stick never got remotely close to cleaning. It takes abuse like a champ. I'm going to need it to last about 4 years to make it worth it vs the other type of stick vacuum, but it looks like it would reach that easily based on other people's anecdotes about it.

If you find most of those features in a stick vacuum for cheap, I'm listening. But I'm not compromising on a unit that doesn't get strangled by hair and a filter that doesn't easily clog with low maintenance and low replacement like the Dyson.

And that's still a tall order even when the Dyson stick is a great but flawed unit at its high price. It's blowing my mind that other brands like LG are releasing stick vacuums on par with Dyson's price.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:32 AM   #7
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Honestly, I’ve tried the cheaper stick vacuums that fit your bill and they end up losing suction when full, or the batteries truly suck and don’t last more than 10 minutes.

I upgraded this year from the older 7 model to like the 15 or whatever it is now. I can vacuum for close to 35 minutes on 1 charge. That is on the regular setting, it has the max/boost for carpet we use for small area rugs. Now if I owned a house with a lot of carpet I’d just get a plug in vacuum.

Anyway, I’m a Dyson believer when it comes to stick vacuums. The cheap ones aren’t as good.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:09 AM   #8
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why no dyson?
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #9
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not looking for a stick vacuum though, I already have that. I want an actual hand held Dustbuster.

And no Dyson because anything Dyson I’ve owned has been an Expensive dud. I’m actually looking god this Dustbuster for someone else anyways.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:20 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The main thing I hate about most cordless vacuums is the battery is never charged when you need it, or it dies too quickly if you have a big job. They also suck when they start degrading.

So I just switched all my vacuums to Ryobi as I already have a gazillion battery packs from my power tools. All problems solved. If I need power, I just slap in a power tool battery.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/cat.../ryobi/mar-irt

Only downside is lack of the vortex motion of Dysons as that keeps the dirt out of the airflow path so suction doesn't degrade as it becomes fuller.
And to clarify, in addition to the Ryobi vacuum... I also own a Dyson because sometimes you just need its particular set of skills.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:00 PM   #11
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I’m not looking for a stick vacuum though, I already have that. I want an actual hand held Dustbuster.

And no Dyson because anything Dyson I’ve owned has been an Expensive dud. I’m actually looking god this Dustbuster for someone else anyways.
What are you using it for?

I thought the suggestion to look for one that pairs up with power tools was a solid suggestion. The Ryobi one was $100 plus battery or $40 without. I don't don't get the idea for going for dust buster sized vacuums of that size though. If I was looking in that range, I'd probably be opting for wand vacuums instead and choose lightweight over bin size.

https://www.amazon.ca/Shark-WV200C-C...2C128&sr=8-123
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:08 PM   #12
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I no does Buster anymore."

Spoiler!
Old 11-23-2022, 12:10 AM   #13
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I also use a RYOBI dustbuster which has awesome power and I use it everyday. I had a black and decker and it was awful, weak, took forever to charge, and ended up having to throw the whole thing out once the battery completely failed. The RYOBI was cheaper as I had the battery anyways… if you already have a battery operated tool system see if they have a Dustbuster, if not, buying the RYOBI with a battery is worth it IMO.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:18 AM   #14
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
I also use a RYOBI dustbuster which has awesome power and I use it everyday. I had a black and decker and it was awful, weak, took forever to charge, and ended up having to throw the whole thing out once the battery completely failed. The RYOBI was cheaper as I had the battery anyways… if you already have a battery operated tool system see if they have a Dustbuster, if not, buying the RYOBI with a battery is worth it IMO.
Do you have your model number by any chance?
Old 11-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #15
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I gave up on Dustbusters a while ago for the same reasons already mentioned. Terrible suction and terrible battery.

This would of been before some of these fancier interchangeable battery ones came out.

We just bought a small Dewalt shopvac which is on wheels and use that. Definitely more bulky, but we get a ton of use out of it for small messes, stairs, etc.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:30 AM   #16
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Do you have your model number by any chance?
I have this version: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryo...ly-/1001123813

But it looks like they moved to a newer version:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryo...ly-/1001691764

It’s cheaper and has a built in crevice tool (I lost mine)

Here it is with a battery and charger:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryo...ger/1001691765

Once you have the battery you can use it with any RYOBI tool so it comes in handy. It does have a paper filter, but I just clean mine out every now and then with a paper clip cause I’m cheap.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badradio For This Useful Post: