Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #181
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Has anyone ever done an evaluation on the different media projections? It would be interesting if someone looked at the rankings from say 10 years ago to 5 years ago and looked at who's projections panned out better.

I think that would be a very interesting read and would help fans weigh the different opinions out there.
There was a thread on HF that was doing exactly this, but I am now struggling to find it. I will keep trying.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #182
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would end up in a random distribution and people would erroneously assign greatness and skill to whoever happened to end up at the top of the list. Anyone who ended up on the wrong side of the distribution would have their opinions shunned by fans for ever more.

Probably a really, really bad idea.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #183
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

This is 2014 for fun.

The grey are is the ranking from each source.
The rank in the middle is the average of rank in gp, pts, and ppg
The yellow is the absolute disparity between.

I break the top five and top ten into average disparities as well.

Top ten comes out pretty close, but top five goes to the Hockey Prospects because of their Pastrnak top twenty choice.

Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #184
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Is Hockey Prospects still around?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #185
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. They produce the most comprehensive draft guide (fan facing) out there - their rather massive "black book".
I've never bought it because it seems like more detail that I could even start to digest.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #186
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

HP also did well with their higher ranking of Larkin
So they arguably nailed the two biggest risers in the draft between draft position and NHL career so far.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #187
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
This is 2014 for fun.

The grey are is the ranking from each source.
The rank in the middle is the average of rank in gp, pts, and ppg
The yellow is the absolute disparity between.

I break the top five and top ten into average disparities as well.

Top ten comes out pretty close, but top five goes to the Hockey Prospects because of their Pastrnak top twenty choice.

Taking the middle rank as being how they turned out Bennett was the 12th most successful player picked in that draft to date?

Ahead of Sanhiem and Tuch?

How would Demko come in using arbitrary game count, ppg?

DeAngelo did not make first round ?

Ho-Sang and his total NHL fail somehow makes any list? AHL totals counting?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #188
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Taking the middle rank as being how they turned out Bennett was the 12th most successful player picked in that draft to date?

Ahead of Sanhiem and Tuch?

How would Demko come in using arbitrary game count, ppg?

DeAngelo did not make first round ?

Ho-Sang and his total NHL fail somehow makes any list? AHL totals counting?
Put them in any order you want.

I certainly didn't want to get into a subjective ranking of my own to sully the data.

Ho-Sang played 53 games, and is ranked based on the same average as every one else on the list. Keep in mind that's the top 30 players by ranking, not every player selected. Many have played more games that weren't projected to be first rounders.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:48 AM   #189
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Boy it seems like your disdain for Pronman is personal. I just don't get these kinds of takes. It's not like he's doing hot take articles like Francis or Simmons. It's just his opinion on prospects. Mike Mayock was basically a guy like Pronman on TV and he's actually done a very good job as NFL GM so you don't necessarily have to be a scout to have a well informed opinion about prospects.
If you compare Pronman to say a team of scouts, the team's list is actually a mosiac of many different scouts' overlapping and reconciled opinions. They have a team of many scouts, and each of these scouts see an overlap of prospects. And then together they make lists that use the input of all these different scouts. It's a team game, where the scouts have skin in the game. Their lists actually matter. Then every year they are going back, looking at failures and improving their process with new approaches or scouts.

What does Corey Pronman do? He's one guy who has to cover many more players, most of it with tape. He doesn't have the same level of insider access to coaches and teammates of these prospects. How are his lists ever going to be more accurate than the other lists we get?

If I can conceptually explain why the entire premise of Pronman's work is dumb, people at the Athletic should too. Instead we see other journalists actually referencing Pronman's work to decide who has won trades, etc. So it's just more low informational content. I 100% understand sports is for fun. But if Im going to take the time to read content, I want it to be quality content.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #190
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
HP also did well with their higher ranking of Larkin
So they arguably nailed the two biggest risers in the draft between draft position and NHL career so far.
Did well on Fiala and Virtanen rankings, too, but they whiffed on Bennett and Ritchie, missed Draisaitl by a fair bit, too.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #191
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000495019849

Decent listen for time to kill
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 11:42 PM   #192
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Thanks for this. The guy is super complimentary to the Flames.

I was really interested and intrigued by his comments about Yan Kuznetsov at the 26 minute mark.

"I was very curious how he'd adapt to the surroundings, and this kid... it was almost instantaneous. This kid automatically established himself as one of the top young defencemen in all of college hockey. He was one of the few first year eligibles playing in the NCAA."

"When I watched him play, I mean my goodness, this kid was so fantastic. His puck management, his footwork, his escapability, this kid is what? 6'3" / 6'4", and he was able to stickhandle and deke his way away from forechecking pressure, head up into the middle of the ice, creating his own time and space for himself. Very deceptive skater, I mean he's big... but he's definitely not lumbering, and there were times when he looked even graceful. ... Very quick stick and soft hands."
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #193
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a pretty glowing report for a kid that was playing NCAA as a 17 year old (a league where most of the players are 19-22).

Being 6'4" at 18, and already being a smooth and graceful skater, that bodes very well for him. Pretty exciting prospect - it will interesting to watch how his sophomore season goes.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #194
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch him be better than Anderson and Valamaki! And those guys look great!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #195
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Thanks for this. The guy is super complimentary to the Flames.

I was really interested and intrigued by his comments about Yan Kuznetsov at the 26 minute mark.

"I was very curious how he'd adapt to the surroundings, and this kid... it was almost instantaneous. This kid automatically established himself as one of the top young defencemen in all of college hockey. He was one of the few first year eligibles playing in the NCAA."

"When I watched him play, I mean my goodness, this kid was so fantastic. His puck management, his footwork, his escapability, this kid is what? 6'3" / 6'4", and he was able to stickhandle and deke his way away from forechecking pressure, head up into the middle of the ice, creating his own time and space for himself. Very deceptive skater, I mean he's big... but he's definitely not lumbering, and there were times when he looked even graceful. ... Very quick stick and soft hands."
He is the most underrated prospect in the CP prospects poll IMO. This second round pick has been passed by older, lesser talents and players with bigger holes in their game.

There is an argument to be made that he is the Flames 4th best prospect. He has the physical attributes of an NHL defenseman it would seem.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: