Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 392 62.92%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 163 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.94%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.98%
Voters: 623. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #1821
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Interesting fuel cell tech worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arging-it.html
Quote:
In a Tesla, Jackson says, the battery costs about £30,000. An aluminium-air fuel cell that would power the same car for longer would cost just £5,000.
That's $38,000 U.S. dollars what am I missing.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #1822
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
First, a Tesla's batteries are not GBP 30,000. More like > $9,000.

https://interestingengineering.com/t...ound-5000-7000

That means a Tesla's current Li Ion batteries are only slightly more expensive than Aluminum air batteries.

Secondly, current Tesla batteries are good for 300,000 km+ (maybe even 500,000 miles). There's speculation that Tesla's future batteries will be 1,000,000 miles or more (though most battery tech hype is just that):

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/16...-500000-miles/

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-ma...million-miles/

Aluminum air batteries are "primary cells" and are not rechargeable. So you'd have to replace them every 2500km

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 10-20-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #1823
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well if you cut through all the social media crap you would see that his term economically has been a massive success. Unemployment is at 3.5% (lowest since 1969) and if you want your investments to make money you are investing almost solely in the US as it's been the best market in centuries and you have to give his administration some credit for it.

Now that doesn't mean he's done a great job in other areas as the US is still beating around the bush when it comes to taking climate change more seriously and there's still plenty of social issues but it's been far from the disaster many try to play it out as. He's an idiot like Trudeau at the end of the day but the difference is that he actually came through on some of his promises that mattered while Trudeau has legalized pot to hang his hat on.
This is utter crap.

What did Trump do that caused this?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #1824
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Interesting fuel cell tech worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arging-it.html
So much hand waving in that article, and the tone was that they are being kept down by the car companies. If he had an invention that was better than lipo, they'd be buying it up, not suppressing it. Like Tesla is just sitting there think "oh, hey, this aluminum air battery is way better, we should probably not use it." I suspect it has an Achilles heel not revealed in this full piece.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #1825
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p07r7...ave-the-planet
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #1826
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So much hand waving in that article, and the tone was that they are being kept down by the car companies. If he had an invention that was better than lipo, they'd be buying it up, not suppressing it. Like Tesla is just sitting there think "oh, hey, this aluminum air battery is way better, we should probably not use it." I suspect it has an Achilles heel not revealed in this full piece.
It only turns into a localized Chernobyl occasionally. On the plus side, it will also keep you warm!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #1827
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The Achilles heel is that the batteries are not rechargeable
Old 10-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #1828
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
She laughed at them? Perfect.

Anyone suggesting she has a mental illness really is taking the absolute lowest route possible if they don't share her positions. What a cop out.

Thankfully, I trust most people are better than that.

Um, she said it herself. She may have laughed at the Rebel but at her 2018 TED Talk, she said this:

"I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, OCD and selective mutism. That basically means I only speak when I think it's necessary"

So, no one is suggesting she has a mental illness. She has at least one. Using that as an means to harass her is disgusting though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #1829
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Um, she said it herself. She may have laughed at the Rebel but at her 2018 TED Talk, she said this:

"I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, OCD and selective mutism. That basically means I only speak when I think it's necessary"

So, no one is suggesting she has a mental illness. She has at least one. Using that as an means to harass her is disgusting though.
She doesn't have a mental illness. Asperger's syndrome is a developmental disorder. Mental Illness, by definition, is having a behavior or mental issue that significantly prevents normal functioning. She functions just fine.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #1830
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is OCD categorized as?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #1831
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
She doesn't have a mental illness. Asperger's syndrome is a developmental disorder. Mental Illness, by definition, is having a behavior or mental issue that significantly prevents normal functioning. She functions just fine.

Yeah, the OCD and selective mutism are mental illnesses though.
Quote:
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #1832
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dont get in his way, he'll get there. Eventually.

There were 3 things on that list and he deliberately selected one.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #1833
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

lol . . . I was going to go into more detail about relative functioning, but then I noticed one of the Boyz responded and I'm just going to back out now. Not worth it, PM me if you want to discuss further, FireFly.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #1834
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol . . . I was going to go into more detail about relative functioning, but then I noticed one of the Boyz responded and I'm just going to back out now. Not worth it, PM me if you want to discuss further, FireFly.
No hey, if you have proof that OCD and selective mutism are NOT mental illnesses which she was diagnosed with, please share with the whole class.

Otherwise, please kindly admit that she does indeed have mental illnesses.

Like I said, it's not something to use against her, but to say she doesn't have a mental illness would be a false statement.
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #1835
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

They are mental illnesses, but you'd be hard pressed to call them illnesses and not "disorders" in psychiatric circles if the patient is relatively high functioning.

If you want to black and white it, sure. Take the victory. No skin off my back, even though I'm close to the industry.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #1836
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They are mental illnesses, but you'd be hard pressed to call them illnesses and not "disorders" in psychiatric circles if the patient is relatively high functioning.

If you want to black and white it, sure. Take the victory. No skin off my back, even though I'm close to the industry.

Of course you are.

Sure, let's call them disorders then. Sure, she's high functioning. I never claimed she wasn't. But then again, I'm not the one who said she had a mental illness in the first place, her doctor was.

I'm pretty high functioning for someone with a mental illness as well. As I'm certain you could call a lot of people with depression. That doesn't make the diagnoses any less true.
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #1837
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just intent on shooting themselves in the feet.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1186043793969221635
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #1838
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Just to correct a minor thing, OCD and selective mutism could be both symptoms and extensions of her Asperger's Syndrome. Unless she also has an anxiety disorder - which is possible - the appearance of her being OCD and selective mute may be just how her Asperger's manifests itself. Depends where she lands on the autism spectrum. People with autism can display behaviors that are very reminiscent of both of the illnesses you identified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I think there is some bad math in the article. I didn't post the article as if to say this was the silver bullet that some here are looking for. Just the opposite actually. This is an interesting technology that could have some really interesting applications and worth watching for future development.

There is a big problem with expectations of people about the tech we are seeing come to fore right now. We are talking about some new tech that has been in development for a very short period of time. Many technologies are iterative in nature and require time to mature. We are essentially at Kittyhawk right now, but there are a number of people who are expecting the Wright Brothers to wheel out a fully functional F-22 Raptor. That isn't how things work. These technologies will be put into play, then improved with future iterations that will some day in the future be the solution to our problem. Right now, they are a piece of the solution. In 20 years one of them could be the whole solution. We don't have time to wait for one to come to maturity, so we need to rely on a number of solutions and then hope we see an apex product bubble to the surface.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #1839
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:

Of course you are.

Sure, let's call them disorders then. Sure, she's high functioning. I never claimed she wasn't. But then again, I'm not the one who said she had a mental illness in the first place, her doctor was.

I'm pretty high functioning for someone with a mental illness as well. As I'm certain you could call a lot of people with depression. That doesn't make the diagnoses any less true.
I am close to the industry, but I can see you are more interested in antagonizing. I'm not going down that route. You do you, good luck with managing your depression.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #1840
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Just intent on shooting themselves in the feet.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1186043793969221635
Goddamn that's embarrassing. I thought we were better than that. Some of these petrosexual types just can't help themselves can they.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote