Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #1481
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
What does the Saudi human rights record, deplorable as it is, have to do with how little we've done to address climate change?

Can we not set the bar a little bit higher than being better than SA?
Because it's a global problem, and any cuts to production we make will be immediately picked up by SA and others?

I'm fine with addressing the consumption end of the equation, as basic economics will tell you that's the side that matters. Kicking ourselves in the balls isn't great economic policy, and does nothing to reduce consumption.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #1482
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Because it's a global problem, and any cuts to production we make will be immediately picked up by SA and others?

I'm fine with addressing the consumption end of the equation, as basic economics will tell you that's the side that matters. Kicking ourselves in the balls isn't great economic policy, and does nothing to reduce consumption.
I'm just concerned with the way this message is being sent. It comes across like, "look over there, we're doing nothing wrong."

Show Greta, and the world, the strides we've made and don't hide behind what others are doing.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #1483
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the bar has been set much higher, that is the point.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #1484
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:
Ducks

Quote:
What does the Saudi human rights record, deplorable as it is, have to do with how little we've done to address climate change?

Question for you since i find the ones screaming climate change are the ones that do the least about it. What have you personally done to address climate change? What kind of lifestyle changes have you made that make a real change? Do you hang your clothes on a clothes line to dry? Do you use a fuel efficient vehicle or take the bus or ride a bike to get your groceries? Have you been taking and planning less trips?

Environmentalists all scream climate change but nobody is willing to change their lifestyle. Putting plastics in a blue bin wouldn’t qualify as making any sort of change and if it does then we’re all environmentalists.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #1485
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Help her how? Getting her to bury her head in the sand like the rest of us? Maybe she'd rather deal with adult problems now before they get worse when she's actually an adult.

I know you think climate change is bull#### but she's not dumb so you're not going to convince her it's not without hard facts. So bring some that will actually shut her up or quit complaining about her.
Hahahahhahaahahah.

That was good. You think environmentalists are pragmatists? THAT would be the definition of putting your head in the sand.

Environmentalists won’t listen to reason. Ever. They are fanatics.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #1486
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Greta’s tour guides should get sued for defamation.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #1487
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Question for you since i find the ones screaming climate change are the ones that do the least about it. What have you personally done to address climate change? What kind of lifestyle changes have you made that make a real change? Do you hang your clothes on a clothes line to dry? Do you use a fuel efficient vehicle or take the bus or ride a bike to get your groceries? Have you been taking and planning less trips?

Environmentalists all scream climate change but nobody is willing to change their lifestyle. Putting plastics in a blue bin wouldn’t qualify as making any sort of change and if it does then we’re all environmentalists.
Will you answer my questions if I answer yours?

I live in a small apartment when I could live in a house. I have no children. I rarely drive except for work. My work vehicle is a minivan and I turn down business often because I refuse to drive a larger, less efficient vehicle. I live in the beltline and walk a lot or take transit. I haven't flown or taken a roadtrip more than 300km in years (decades actually). I fantasize about driving a sports car for pleasure but can't bring myself to getting one. I bought Hue bulbs for my place so I can dim them even in fixtures that don't support that normally, and I have timers set so I don't have them on needlessly. I do all kinds of stuff I can't even think of right now.

I could do lots more. I'm trying to eat less meat but my willpower is weak in that regard. I buy stuff I don't need but I'm paring down my hobbies. I only buy music and video games digitally. I only order from Amazon if I have at least 4 or 5 things, although they often deliver them separately anyway, which annoys me.

And what do you care? If it's bull#### then what I do doesn't matter does it? You're just looking for a hypocrisy angle because that's all you have. Show me facts that prove it's wrong. I wish like hell it was. I love Formula 1 racing and want them to "bring back the ####ing v12s". I enjoyed boomtime Alberta and I fear what will happen when oil isn't our lifeblood. I doubt our ability to change and don't want to live if we things get anywhere near as bad as the "alarmists" say. Mass migration and food/water shortages could cause the end of the golden age we live in. That'll be far worse than the pain our economy would endure to prevent it. Will you be around to see it? I doubt it or you'd be scared too.

Good enough? Your turn.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #1488
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Hahahahhahaahahah.

That was good. You think environmentalists are pragmatists? THAT would be the definition of putting your head in the sand.

Environmentalists won’t listen to reason. Ever. They are fanatics.
You need help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #1489
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m not an environmentalist and will never buy into climate change or environmentalist alarmism, hype or trends. Saying that, i do think we should take care of the planet.

I do a lot to limit my carbon footprint even though i honestly believe it will do nothing to actually help the planet. It’s the equivalent of removing a grain of sand from the sahara. My steps towards helping the planet aren’t much more than giving myself a pat on the back. Having seen what goes on undetected in other parts of the world confirms that what i do will have no affect on the planet.

However, i air dry my clothes or dry them till their damp, i’ve removed the grass from my yard and replaced it with rocks to save water, lowered the water to a minimum in my toilets, keep the temperature at my place two degrees lower than i’d like and wear a sweater, drive a fuel efficient vehicle, have severely reduced my meat consumption save pizza and the occasional hamburger and some others along those lines, but you get the point. However the biggest thing that i give myself credit for is food waste. I don’t throw out food. Even eat yogurt past the expiry and buy the bruised fruit and vegetables at a grocery store others won’t.

Food production and waste is the biggest thread to the environment but our focus is on plastic straws. Figure that one out. Thousands of tons of food is wasted in the food industry every year. It takes energy to produce, transport, store. When in a landfill it produces methane which is far worse for the environment than co2.

But environmentalists don’t care about any of this cause it doesn’t fit their agenda. I have zero faith in anyone yelling to save the planet. They are all seething at the mouth in their quest for power.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #1490
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You need help.
I feel the same about you.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #1491
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

It kinda sounds like she is on vacation through the Rockies. Why is everyone freaking out?
Old 10-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #1492
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I feel the same about you.
I won't argue with that; I'm all kinds of ####ed up.

I'm curious what you think the "environmentalists" agenda is? Do you not believe there are people who genuinely care about how we're taking care of our home, the Earth?

I'm guessing you're lumping them all into the anti-corporatist camp which is really unfair. You really make it hard to discern what your position is because you rally against "alarmists" but you don't define who they are.

Straws became a focus because humans are hesitant to change and that's an easy place to start because they're really unnecessary. I agree that anyone who thinks they're really doing anything by forgoing them is wrong or looking for self-validation. But don't crap on those who do it as a stepping stone to real change.

I applaud your efforts anyway.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #1493
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just concerned with the way this message is being sent. It comes across like, "look over there, we're doing nothing wrong."

Show Greta, and the world, the strides we've made and don't hide behind what others are doing.
Agreed.

What the message should be when the spotlight is on us:

“We agree that global emissions are a problem. And our biggest companies are working hard to reduce their impact. Yes, we need oil and gas, and we want to be at the forefront of reducing emissions and leading on new sources of energy too. As long as any oil is needed, we want to represent the most sustainable source possible”

What the message others will likely hear most:

“Screw this teenager. How did she travel here, by magic pixie dust? Hypocrite!!”

International embarrassment ensues.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #1494
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

A teenager is coming! Quick Conservatives! To the energy war room!

But seriously, when you’re questioning the mental health of a teenager because they passionately disagree with you, you’ve either forgotten what it’s like to feel and think like a teenager, or you’re attempting to assassinate the character of a teenager, which is deeply pathetic.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #1495
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Agreed.

What the message should be when the spotlight is on us:

“We agree that global emissions are a problem. And our biggest companies are working hard to reduce their impact. Yes, we need oil and gas, and we want to be at the forefront of reducing emissions and leading on new sources of energy too. As long as any oil is needed, we want to represent the most sustainable source possible”

What the message others will likely hear most:

“Screw this teenager. How did she travel here, by magic pixie dust? Hypocrite!!”

International embarrassment ensues.
That's my concern too. There's a classy way to communicate the issues / facts from an Alberta perspective that will resonate with the rest of the world, and then there's a hostile / aggressive / condescending way that will further alienate us and have even more people tune us out because our ' rage shouting and fist clenching'. We have to be very, very careful here.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #1496
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #1497
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Alberta O&G companies should be reaching out to Greta's PR team and setting up tours of facilities and info sessions for her.

This should definitely be a giant showcase of how far ahead our sector is compared to the rest of the world.

I welcome her to Alberta.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #1498
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I won't argue with that; I'm all kinds of ####ed up.

I'm curious what you think the "environmentalists" agenda is? Do you not believe there are people who genuinely care about how we're taking care of our home, the Earth?

I'm guessing you're lumping them all into the anti-corporatist camp which is really unfair. You really make it hard to discern what your position is because you rally against "alarmists" but you don't define who they are.

Straws became a focus because humans are hesitant to change and that's an easy place to start because they're really unnecessary. I agree that anyone who thinks they're really doing anything by forgoing them is wrong or looking for self-validation. But don't crap on those who do it as a stepping stone to real change.

I applaud your efforts anyway.
I do believe In climate change and work directly in an environmental (ish I guess) job.

But i think climate alarmists and environmentalists of that ilk have one goal and it’s wealth redistribution.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #1499
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
But i think climate alarmists and environmentalists of that ilk have one goal and it’s wealth redistribution.
If you wanted to help the developing world, you would give them the same access to fossil fuels that the first world has. The environmentalists are asking them to forego that, and it's one of the biggest problems with the movement.

There are some aspects of wealth redistribution in the environmental movement, but plenty of rich privilege as well.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #1500
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
A teenager is coming! Quick Conservatives! To the energy war room!

But seriously, when you’re questioning the mental health of a teenager because they passionately disagree with you, you’ve either forgotten what it’s like to feel and think like a teenager, or you’re attempting to assassinate the character of a teenager, which is deeply pathetic.
I agree up until the point that she knows the message she’s spreading and the podiums she’s spouting it from, at that point you don’t get to hide behind “well I’m just a teenager” if you have critics. She’s not just some teenager at this point anymore.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote