Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #101
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

It's not good if you're searching for something specific, but for general browsing it's great. I suppose if you don't like it you can try the other movie streaming service in Canada ... Oh wait.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #102
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
It's not good if you're searching for something specific, but for general browsing it's great. I suppose if you don't like it you can try the other movie streaming service in Canada ... Oh wait.
Or I could continue using Zip. It's not like I *have* to use a streaming service.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #103
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
What is the benefit of a streaming service over a straight download service? Other than the wait time to download? Is it just the integration with Apple TV?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #104
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love this service. The lack of newer content does not bother me. After browsing the library for a measly 10 minutes I have already found enough content that I could easily spend over $100 on iTunes to watch it all.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #105
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree I found enough content that makes it worth paying for the first year! Hopefully selection gets better after that
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #106
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm warming up to it after my initial gripes about the selection. The documentaries and British TV are actually not too bad, and that's a big plus for me. I'm still hoping that some new deals will come along with distributors so we can get some more content.

The PS3 interface is pretty decent. It installed quickly and now I have Netflix under my "Video" menu. It seems nice and clean, fairly fast, and the movies streamed nicely without issue. The PS3 Blu-Ray remote worked nicely with it as well.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #107
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
What is the benefit of a streaming service over a straight download service? Other than the wait time to download? Is it just the integration with Apple TV?
What straight download service are you talking about?

The difference is with streaming, you sit down, pick a movie, and watch (be it on AppleTV or your PS3 or your iPad or whatever). To download a movie in HD usually takes hours before you can watch.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #108
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
The integration with all your devices it nice. I can start a movie on my PS3, stop it and open my iPad and start watching where I left off. Stop that and continue it on my iPhone.

It really is nice to be able to start a movie or TV show to see if you like it and not have to download it all only to be disappointed.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #109
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regarding the selection I read an interesting article yesterday. They figured the gap between canadian/us netflix would eventually be non-exsistent mainly due to the fact that when US netflix users travel to Canada they don't have access to the service and vice versa for us. Eventually there would just be the same netflix available to both US and Canada so there would be no limitations during travel. Of course some of this has to do with what fredr123 pointed out above.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #110
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
What straight download service are you talking about?

The difference is with streaming, you sit down, pick a movie, and watch (be it on AppleTV or your PS3 or your iPad or whatever). To download a movie in HD usually takes hours before you can watch.
Zip.ca, iTunes etc.

I didn't realize the download time was really that long. I know I can torrent a show in less than an hour when my PVR flubs up recording it so I assumed it would be at least that good.

To anyone who has the service, how long does it take to buffer enough to start to watch? A few minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
The integration with all your devices it nice. I can start a movie on my PS3, stop it and open my iPad and start watching where I left off. Stop that and continue it on my iPhone.

It really is nice to be able to start a movie or TV show to see if you like it and not have to download it all only to be disappointed.
Ok, I am sold.

It drives me crazy that I can watch a show on my iPod, then watch a couple on my TV through my O!Play and need to hunt for the same episode, or same spot in the show the next day when I am on the bus.

That alone would be worth the subscription price and the Apple TV.

Edit: It apparently works with my Wii as well! Anything else notable it works with other than the consoles and the Apple devices? WD HD TV? O!Play?

Last edited by Rathji; 09-23-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #111
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Took max 30 seconds last night when I started watching the show My Boys with my wife. It was solid quality as well
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #112
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Blockbuster has filed for bankruptcy in the US, largely because of Netflix.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #113
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Zip.ca, iTunes etc.

I didn't realize the download time was really that long. I know I can torrent a show in less than an hour when my PVR flubs up recording it so I assumed it would be at least that good.

To anyone who has the service, how long does it take to buffer enough to start to watch? A few minutes?
Zip.ca does downloads?

When I'm talking about downloading an HD movie, I'm talking about torrenting a good quality 720p 5.1 mkv. They generally run about 4GB. Netflix HD is not on that level quality-wise, but for times when I don't think ahead of time to torrent a movie, it's great.

On my connection an HD movie buffers for maybe 5-10 seconds before I can watch it. iTunes streaming is comparable. Yeah, it downloads the file for you to watch later but you can start watching those almost immediately too.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #114
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Blockbuster has filed for bankruptcy in the US, largely because of Netflix.
serves them right. How does the #1 rental movie company sit on their hands and not be the group to integrate (ie. innovate) movies and the web?!?

While blockbuster's main accomplishments over the past few years businesss innovation wise has been gettting rid of late fees, other companies have found a way to get movies to customers faster, through the most up and coming medium available.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #115
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

IF you have both a WII and a PS3 can I use the same account for both and would I have to pay for two subscriptions?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #116
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
IF you have both a WII and a PS3 can I use the same account for both and would I have to pay for two subscriptions?
Same for both.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #117
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
serves them right. How does the #1 rental movie company sit on their hands and not be the group to integrate (ie. innovate) movies and the web?!?

While blockbuster's main accomplishments over the past few years businesss innovation wise has been gettting rid of late fees, other companies have found a way to get movies to customers faster, through the most up and coming medium available.
My thoughts exactly. They didn't react to a changing market.
________
BUBBLER PIPE

Last edited by kdogg; 08-17-2011 at 04:06 PM.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kdogg For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #118
Prototype

Exp:

Quote:
10-30 seconds over not amazing Wifi. Sometimes a small pause within the first 30 seconds of the movie/show, nothing after that.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #119
Prototype

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post
My thoughts exactly. They didn't react to a changing market.
Although a different identity... When I worked for Blockbuster Canada (which is still alive, for now) it was right when DVD was being introduced in 1999. Long after I left... around 2004/2005 ish, they started to eliminate VHS, but wouldn't complete it until closer to 2006/2007.

They could have easily dictated the market, rather than let the market dictate what they were going to do.

I'm surprised they haven't opening an exclusive Bluray store yet. I get that not a strong number of the population have Bluray, but they would get Bluray if it meant that they could rent again.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #120
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Netflix advertises itself as a compliment to your cable service, not a replacement. Apple TV is somewhere in the middle of a compliment and a replacement to your cable. But the biggest difference between them is that Netflix is a subscription service and Apple TV (iTunes) is an al a carte service. I think you can use them together quiet nicely.

Netflix will be a good place for me to watch older movies and older TV shows. Apple TV is a good way to watch digital content that I already have and will allow me to purchase TV shows that I want to own. Plus the other Apple TV features are nice. Cable is good for new TV shows, sports and idly watching something (I suppose Netflix could work for this as well).

I almost wish that I didn't watch sports then I could drop cable and live off al a carte and Netflix streaming quite happily.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post: