Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #3601
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind this being the all encompassing photo thread. If there's some gear talk mixed in with photos of owls, I don't think it's the end of the world.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #3602
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I'd like a photography gear/tech/advice thread actually. Do we have one on the go, buried somewhere?
Photography is my true passion and, I know, I am too easy to get sucked into these discussions, but at the same time, it is probably not a good idea, IMO if you need serious input. This is not a photo forum and the opinions would be quite narrow and limited to opinions of a few CP members that like photography. Any gear discussion will likely get bogged down to Nikon vs Canon or DSLR vs mirrorless or whatever vs. cellphone/GoPro. If you need some quality input on Nikon gear, I would suggest serious Nikon gear-oriented forums; there are a few good ones out there. PM me if you need links.

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 01-09-2017 at 12:25 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #3603
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a collection of old manual lenses made by Nikon and German-made manual lenses that can be adapted to Nikon-F mount: Leica-R, Schneider, Voightlander and Hasselblad/Zeiss. Comparing the performance of these old lenses mounted on Nikon D810/D800E or Df is fun; they are all different in the way they render an image, handling and features.

These are my 40-yr old Hasselblad/Zeiss lenses - bulky, heavy, uncomfortable to handle, yet simple, solid, razor-sharp, no aberrations... While I have never gotten to shoot with medium format cameras, I was always fascinated with medium format glass, because of how sharp they become when adapted to a full-frame sensor.

I just found out that Hasselblad technically is no longer a Swedish company. Chinese drone maker DJI now owns the majority of Hasselblad as of January, 2017. Sad. I hope they keep them running independently and will not dilute the brand quality...

Article link here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #3604
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I spotted this in a field quite a ways off and knew it was something but didn't know what. I walked over the ditch next to the fence and zoomed in.

[

I think if I would've taken one step closer they would've bolted.

It's amazing how animals survive in this weather. These guys were all burrowed down in the snow out of the wind. I froze in the 2 minutes it took to shoot these. The truck thermometer said -23°.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #3605
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I have a collection of old manual lenses made by Nikon and German-made manual lenses that can be adapted to Nikon-F mount: Leica-R, Schneider, Voightlander and Hasselblad/Zeiss. Comparing the performance of these old lenses mounted on Nikon D810/D800E or Df is fun; they are all different in the way they render an image, handling and features.

These are my 40-yr old Hasselblad/Zeiss lenses - bulky, heavy, uncomfortable to handle, yet simple, solid, razor-sharp, no aberrations... While I have never gotten to shoot with medium format cameras, I was always fascinated with medium format glass, because of how sharp they become when adapted to a full-frame sensor.

I just found out that Hasselblad technically is no longer a Swedish company. Chinese drone maker DJI now owns the majority of Hasselblad as of January, 2017. Sad. I hope they keep them running independently and will not dilute the brand quality...

Article link here.
That's a real pro looking picture.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #3606
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...These guys...
Quail?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #3607
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Quail?
Grey Partridges.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #3608
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

did somebody say mirrorless? here's my advertisement for the Olympus Micro 4/3 kit.

Stormageddon, photography is being in the right place at the right time, and knowing your fundamentals to make the most out of the equipment/software you've got. don't let fear of crop sensors hold you back!

Great Wall of China

̃ingvellir

Plitvice

Dragonfly

Monk Seal

Haleakala

Reykjavík
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #3609
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't believe you have all these fantastic Hasselblad lenses, yet never got to shoot with one! Definitely get your hands on one if you can, a Hassy body these days is fairly affordable. There's still a richness and wow factor to medium format film that you just can't replicate with digital.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #3610
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought about it. I did have a 500c, which I bought with the 80mm lens. But upon consideration I decided against it and sold it. Too much hassle (pun? ). I did have my fun with film and darkroom in the 70's and 80's; that's enough. Resolution of modern sensors far exceeds the best available film resolution and pretty much all of the known film effects are easily reproduced in NikCollection Silver Efex (which used to be $125 and now is free since Google bought them).

Medium format Hasselblad/Zeiss lenses mounted on a full frame sensor render the entire frame in the lens sweet spot, which makes the shot super sharp and aberrations-free. No peripheral loss of sharpness, no distortions. Love it.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #3611
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The resolution of a digital sensor is definitely higher than film...but one thing that a sensor hasn't been able to touch yet is the tonal range offered by film. There's just something about the way that film handles a range of light that's kind of magical.

I started shooting a lot with my medium format (Mamiya 7ii) again about a year ago after a bit of a lull, and it's been really enjoyable to on occasion move away from the typical "spray and pray" of the DSLR. I don't do the darkroom processing (a combination of not having time plus them being rather toxic) and send it out to a lab in Utah (www.thefindlab.com if anyone is interested).

It's definitely not cheap (about $2 a frame!), but it's been really fun, and the best part is the anticipation and surprise that you get from getting those scans back. It's funny how when you only have 10 frames per roll, how you anticipate each and every one of them.

I love my D800, but the Mamiya is a really nice reprieve at times. It's kind of rekindled my love for photography in many ways.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 AM   #3612
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Something that I haven't thought about previously but seems obvious now that I've realized it is that while future-proofing with FX lenses seems pretty reasonable, if you're not getting DX lenses you're negating most of the benefits of the system in the first place (i.e. weight and size) - unless, of course, you're going for reach.

Consider buying a speedlight (that you can fire remotely) if you're into portraits - it opens up a ton of possibilities.

Last edited by SebC; 04-02-2017 at 06:04 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #3613
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I spent an hour with a Northern Hawk Owl near Millarville the other day. Got to watch him dive bomb mice a couple different times, disappear into the trees, then return after I assume eating them. Pretty cool experience. Sure wasn't shy at all. In spite of the looks I was getting, he almost seemed to enjoy all of the attention.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #3614
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those two in the middle are hilarious. You can almost hear what he's thinking.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #3615
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long time since the last photo posted. Here's one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #3616
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Nighttime Sakura ('Cherry Blossom') viewing in Fukuoka:

Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scrambler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #3617
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I did a little loop South and East of Calgary today.

...and I saved a fish's life.

Pretty new to the forum and have never browsed this thread before, but I just wanted to thank you for saving the fish

I grew up in Banff so a lot of these pictures are full of nostalgia for me, and a bit of homesickness (if you can call missing a location "homesickeness" because I definitely DO NOT miss my "home" there).

Lots of gorgeous shots in this thread, thanks everyone.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #3618
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've been doing our ocean-to-lake-hike from Hobe Sound beach to Lake Okeechobee.

We're having a drought so it's not quite as exciting as last year when we were wading through various depths of water.

Perhaps I'll post some phone shots as we go on,

Here's a dried-out cypress swamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #3619
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our fearless leader, aka Huck Finn.

At least the canal was wet.

Jonathan Dickinson State Park, Jupiter, Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 03:53 AM   #3620
Beaviwi
Draft Pick

Hey I'm fairly new to CP but I am thought I would share some of my shots from the four month trip to New Zealand I am currently on. All shot with my Canon 5D Mark III.

Franz Josef

Wanaka

Purakaunui Falls

Tongaporutu

A Tui
Beaviwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beaviwi For This Useful Post: