Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #241
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
This thread has consumed about the same amount of energy saved in 40 days by changing 1 60W bulb to an LED bulb.

(Assuming 8W LED bulb, 100W computer, 60 seconds per threadview, and 8h of bulb usage per day. Ignoring server and Internet power usage.)

I honestly have no idea if that's good or bad.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #242
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This is nothing like that. By not taking advantage of the program, you allow the money to be spent on a different government program. If you truly think this is wasteful and pointless, your chances of that money being spent on a less wasteful and pointless program are much better when you choose the mystery box.

If you disagree with the program then it doesn't make sense to take advantage, unless you don't really care. It's not like the money is getting used on it either way. It costs X to provide the service to you, partly funded by your tax. That money is not spent if you don't take advantage, so it will end up going to something else. If you're opposed to the program, letting the money go to anything that ISN'T the program is a more rational choice.
If you have $50 in LED lightbulbs to buy and you can get them from the government for no additional cost to you than that is more or less the same as sending them $50. Also this program should be limited to its budget set out so whether or not you use it the cost should end up the same.

And even if there is a $100 extra expense for the person sent out to change your lightbulb that money spirit between 4 million people does not offset the $50 you save on light bulbs.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #243
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I honestly have no idea if that's good or bad.

Actually neither do I lol, I just thought it was interesting to see how much energy a thread 'uses'.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #244
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I realize there are many factors...but apparently the government made the claim ecofit was the cheapest, yet they weren't. That would be a lie if true...something i think people may want to know. It certainly wouldnt be a first for this or any government.

If you think its propoganda, that's fine, (maybe it is and this guy is just lying)

If you are truly interested in what David Gray who is CEO of Aim Energy and the guy who was involved in the process and makes the claim has to say, he did an interview with Danielle Smith a couple days ago.

http://www.newstalk770.com/audio-on-demand-2/

Go to April 10....11AM hour and about 7 minutes in.

Decide for yourself.
Wow.

This just replayed on 770. If just HALF of what he's described turns out to be true this is going to be a monumental boondoggle.

If you were in the fence about listening, as I was, do yourself a favour.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #245
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Wow.

This just replayed on 770. If just HALF of what he's described turns out to be true this is going to be a monumental boondoggle.

If you were in the fence about listening, as I was, do yourself a favour.
That's the thing...there is zero indication that anything he said would be false.

he talks in depth about the RFP and how it was entirely geared to Ecofit winning the bid which makes all kinds of sense with the Wynne/Notley connection.

He flat out states that right in the RFP that the program will be handed over to the government to run as a crown corporation. Its part of the agreement that went to the winner.

I think the saddest news out of that interview however is how it is affecting existing energy efficiency companies because everyone is waiting for rebates to go ahead and upgrade major appliances/furnaces/HWT. The NDP has completely screwed over these guys and could not care less. Really unacceptable.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #246
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just cancelled my appt.

Quote:
This company was chosen out of a competitive tender so they were the lowest cost provider, so we can get more products in the hands of Albertans,” Environment Minister Shannon Phillips said.
So that's not true. Two other companies had lower proposals. But it's just such bad, stupid business on the NDP's part I can't do it. I'm out. I'll buy my own bulbs...really nice Edison bulbs. Now if I could just figure out how they work. Switch goes up, light goes on. But there are steps in between I just don't get.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 04-17-2017 at 04:35 PM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #247
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that stands out to me out of all of this is: "Why?"

Why.

To what end?

A few salaried and Unionized Government employees? Thats nothing.

I dont buy the environmentalism angle one bit. They are not doing this crap to save Carbon or anything else. Thats just stupid.

So....why?

Paying back a benefactor? I dont think its enough money. Its clunky enough but it seems off.

I honestly have no idea why they are doing this.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #248
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The thing that stands out to me out of all of this is: "Why?"

Why.

To what end?

A few salaried and Unionized Government employees? Thats nothing.

I dont buy the environmentalism angle one bit. They are not doing this crap to save Carbon or anything else. Thats just stupid.

So....why?

Paying back a benefactor? I dont think its enough money. Its clunky enough but it seems off.

I honestly have no idea why they are doing this.
Because they are idiots.

They don't even act out of self interest. They are completely irrational. No set of initial beliefs or goals results in the outcomes they are proposing. They aren't even blinded by ideology they are just idiots.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #249
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's to get more stunned people to vote for them. 100k people so far get sharp new pseudo government employees showing up at their house with free stuff and literally no metric to judge failure. It's a dream come true. No way this could backfire. Remember....new stuff...lots of it too.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #250
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

May I introduce you to Hanlon's Razor

I don't think I'd go as far as Bill earlier, calling those the think this is insane but still signing up to get theirs "the worst" but foolish or not I'm not signing up for this out of principle. It's insane.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RockLicker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #251
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I don't get how light bulbs work how am I supposed to get Hanlon's Razor?
Old 04-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #252
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Fair point, but if it was rational actors aiming to buy stupid votes, wouldn't it more sense to be trying crazy tricks another year or so down the line?... yikes, just felt a shiver up my back imagining what sort of vote buying we are actually going to see closer to the end of the term.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #253
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When do I get my new lightbulbs? I'm holding off changing ones that go out, pretty soon my house is going to be in total darkness.
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #254
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon96Taco View Post
When do I get my new lightbulbs? I'm holding off changing ones that go out, pretty soon my house is going to be in total darkness.
Not to worry, they are going to eliminate Daylight savings which should solve that problem.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #255
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alberta gov to provide rebates up to $3500 for energy efficient homes: http://globalnews.ca/news/3385299/al...ficient-homes/

"Beginning April 28, rebates of up to $3,500 will be available for eligible home improvement products, including insulation for attics, basements and above-grade walls. Tankless hot water heaters (ENERGY STARŪ certified) and triple glaze (low-e, argon) windows will also be available."
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #256
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Alberta gov to provide rebates up to $3500 for energy efficient homes: http://globalnews.ca/news/3385299/al...ficient-homes/

"Beginning April 28, rebates of up to $3,500 will be available for eligible home improvement products, including insulation for attics, basements and above-grade walls. Tankless hot water heaters (ENERGY STARŪ certified) and triple glaze (low-e, argon) windows will also be available."
That to me makes more sense, I wish they'd do this for electric cars too.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #257
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
That to me makes more sense, I wish they'd do this for electric cars too.
Does it make sense for electric cars before coal is phased out?
Old 04-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #258
photon

Exp:

Depends I guess, would have to figure out the emissions from gas car vs. the percentage of electricity from coal and percentage of that.

Or I just decide all my electrons for my electric car happens to come from the non-renewable sources and not worry until electric car usage exceeds non-renewable generation
Old 04-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #259
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I just cancelled my appt.

So that's not true. Two other companies had lower proposals. But it's just such bad, stupid business on the NDP's part I can't do it. I'm out. I'll buy my own bulbs...really nice Edison bulbs. Now if I could just figure out how they work. Switch goes up, light goes on. But there are steps in between I just don't get.
The thing that no one here is addressing however is whether those two lower proposals met the requirements of the RFP. Lord knows I've seen "lowest bidder" RFP submissions that handwave requirements or outright skip them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #260
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
The thing that no one here is addressing however is whether those two lower proposals met the requirements of the RFP. Lord knows I've seen "lowest bidder" RFP submissions that handwave requirements or outright skip them.
Dear Rachel:

Your RFP says to use Ecofit, but I have found this provided that provides products with the exact same specs or better, and my bid is $XXX lower than Ecofit's. I have also met all other requirements.

Thanks,
-Lowest Bidder A

Hello Lowest Bidder A:

You will not be award the contract as Ecofit is from Ontario and I need their premier's support so Ecofit is the only option.

-Rachel
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote