Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2017, 11:16 PM   #1601
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yeah, that would be the only way that it could actually work and be enforceable. Even those "Parking for pregnant women and parents with young children" spots that some places have are completely unenforceable.

I believe I've seen sponsorship deals like that with valet parking at some places in the States. If you valet park your Lexus (or other sponsoring luxury brand), it's free. Otherwise, you pay the regular valet rate.
I'm a parent with a young child. The sign says nothing about him having to be with me at the time I park.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:07 AM   #1602
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
But what's the end game?

Sure, when the first player gets the idea and implements it, it is cute and novel. But then what? So Acura and GM decide they need to do this as well for their customers? Then Mercedes, BMW and Audi join in?
The end game is revenue.

Given the negative feedback, I don't foresee automakers lining up to buy spots. If they did, I suspect simple supply and demand would apply and YYC would begin charging far more and/or cap the number of sponsored spaces.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #1603
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Why wouldn't the airport just have spots for an manufacturer to lease for their customers, but only allow those spots for one manufacturer?

That way you don't have Lexus parking, and BMW parking, and Audi parking, but only one. It'd drive up the cost to lease those spots and make them 'special'.

That said, you sure as blue mountain valley don't remove handicapped parking to create these spots.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #1604
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Why wouldn't the airport just have spots for an manufacturer to lease for their customers, but only allow those spots for one manufacturer?

That way you don't have Lexus parking, and BMW parking, and Audi parking, but only one. It'd drive up the cost to lease those spots and make them 'special'.

That said, you sure as blue mountain valley don't remove handicapped parking to create these spots.
Not sure your suggestion makes sense given the plethora of parking there, but at any rate, why is it so morally outrageous to remove the handicap spots? If they still have sufficient spots to meet various codes/requirements, then who cares? Just because they used to be handicapped doesn't mean anything. Why are you not angry they didn't add 100 more handicap accessible spots? Why are these 5-10 spots the tipping point for what handicap drivers need?

People nowadays need to calm down and quit making everything into someone being attacked or a group being persecuted.
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #1605
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Not sure your suggestion makes sense given the plethora of parking there, but at any rate, why is it so morally outrageous to remove the handicap spots? If they still have sufficient spots to meet various codes/requirements, then who cares? Just because they used to be handicapped doesn't mean anything. Why are you not angry they didn't add 100 more handicap accessible spots? Why are these 5-10 spots the tipping point for what handicap drivers need?

People nowadays need to calm down and quit making everything into someone being attacked or a group being persecuted.
You can't remove handicapped parking to replace it with Lexus only parking.

By reducing the number of spots, there still is handicapped parking.

** I suppose since we're getting into semantics to this level I should note that when I typed "You" I meant a general "you" as is anyone, and to a specific person or Ducay specifically.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #1606
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Optics - that's it. The perception is that Lexus can buy and paint over handicapped spots, which makes them look arrogant. It doesn't matter how many other spots there are, where they are located, etc. Easily outraged society? Fair point. But YYC and Lexus know that and could have avoided the blunder. Perception is everything.

Two additional points - the lucky Lexus owners parking isn't actually free to them. They have to pay the same rate as everyone else when they leave the parkade. Lexus has just paid to reserve these spots for them. And the point of the marketing campaign is not to have the spots very well utilized by Lexus owners. The point is to have them mostly empty so non-Lexus people walking by experience a little envy for those VIP Lexus drivers and their exclusive club. Interesting marketing, I'll admit, but spoiled by optics.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #1607
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why can't you? YYC had more than the required number of stalls, and is even moving these ones in addition. Just because something was a handicapped stall once doesn't mean it is forever.

But I agree with Jimmy et al. that it is terrible optics and was a poor choice, but my point is that is media and society are always looking for a story to be outraged at (OMG POOR HANDICAPS) when it is really a non-story at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #1608
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

A totally stupid idea. Instead of advertising Lexus, it makes Lexus look bad (and apparently they didn't even choose the spots). If they had painted the spots next to the handicapped spots or on the other side of the driving lane, it would have been a non-issue. Whoever chose those spots should be fired. They made their employer and their client both look bad.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #1609
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I worked as a summer student at the firm that designed the terminal, and they seemed really excited about how well researched, and forward thinking the design was, but the public really seems to dislike it for the most part.
I'm flying out of it for the first time this weekend, so I'll finally get a chance to see what all the hubbub is all about.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #1610
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I worked as a summer student at the firm that designed the terminal, and they seemed really excited about how well researched, and forward thinking the design was, but the public really seems to dislike it for the most part.
I'm flying out of it for the first time this weekend, so I'll finally get a chance to see what all the hubbub is all about.
The old US customs hall was about 1000x nicer than the current one.

Not sure why the new terminal needed a downgraded customs hall.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #1611
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I think it is a beautiful addition to the airport, but there has been some minor issues that can be fixed.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #1612
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I disagree.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #1613
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I disagree.
I agree with your disagree. The old customs hall was a dreary place.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #1614
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The US departure one with the big open ceilings and all the pictures? That was as nice as can be expected. The arrivals Canada Customs was dreary.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #1615
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It was a confined box with cheap art. I'd probably have shot myself if I had to look at that 30 year old picture of Mount Rushmore every day.

In fairness though, I've only been out of the new international customs hall once, so my memory of it is not strong enough to form a solid opinion.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #1616
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:

By reducing the number of spots, there still is handicapped parking.

** I suppose since we're getting into semantics to this level I should note that when I typed "You" I meant a general "you" as is anyone, and to a specific person or Ducay specifically.
Quote:
Why can't you? YYC had more than the required number of stalls, and is even moving these ones in addition. Just because something was a handicapped stall once doesn't mean it is forever.

I suppose when getting to this level of semantics I should note that you can reduce the number of handicapped spots and add Lexus only spots so long as there are sufficient handicapped spots per parking regulations. You cannot replace handicapped spots (ie: each handicapped spot is eliminated and Lexus parking put in its place). It would no longer meet regulations.

My apologies, I thought that was clear by context.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #1617
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

CroFlames hates the new terminal with every fiber of his being, you should just ignore what he posts about the airport.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #1618
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose when getting to this level of semantics I should note that you can reduce the number of handicapped spots and add Lexus only spots so long as there are sufficient handicapped spots per parking regulations. You cannot replace handicapped spots (ie: each handicapped spot is eliminated and Lexus parking put in its place). It would no longer meet regulations.

My apologies, I thought that was clear by context.
I would imagine we agree at the end of the day. Optically terrible, but since they are well above required number of stalls, its a non issue.

Agree it would be a huge story if they cut legally required stalls for Lexus parking, and that is precisely how the media was pushing the story, for "clickbait" sake
Old 08-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #1619
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

If you owned the airport, and had 2 to 3 stories of space in a US Customs area, would you keep the upper portion empty, or install some money making duty-free shops?
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #1620
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Incorrect. The cafeteria is directly above US customs. The duty free shop is north of it.

2ndly, it's a BRAND NEW BUILDING. There were no restrictions on design.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc