Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2017, 02:11 AM   #1421
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Have you tried using the TripCase app?. Awesome app that has always been spot on for delays/gate changes for me.

Overall, I am happy with the new terminal as well. Granted, I am an experienced traveller, but I don't have any issues with the call to gate thing.

I took Encore to Edmonton yesterday, and that little metal cube thing they use as the gate area for the small planes is weak sauce. It just feels unfinished and ghetto. Is that just a temporary thing?

Welcome to Westjet Encore, sponsored by Atco Trailers.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drummer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #1422
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

For what it's worth, WestJet is slowly starting to put some of the Encore planes on normal gates, as a ton have been freed up with international/transborder flights shifting to the other end of the airport. It's a only a couple per day right now, but should go up.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #1423
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the plan for the old B/C wing at YYC? A few months ago, I had to take a Jazz flight and we boarded there, and it was just as sad as before, except with even fewer amenities.

With the international and US flights out of there, it would be great to see a renovation and then get the smaller Encore and/or Jazz flights using that wing instead of the shed currently in use.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #1424
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
What is the plan for the old B/C wing at YYC? A few months ago, I had to take a Jazz flight and we boarded there, and it was just as sad as before, except with even fewer amenities.

With the international and US flights out of there, it would be great to see a renovation and then get the smaller Encore and/or Jazz flights using that wing instead of the shed currently in use.
That is basically the plan. That wing will be renovated and more domestic flights will be using those gates... as they sit now they're basically overflow with 39 and 40 completely unusable due to work inside.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #1425
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

From what I have been told Air Canada is going to be taking over that stuff and using it exclusively. I don't know what their renovation plans are though. I know that a lot is going on under the concourse for new baggage handling systems.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #1426
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gate B 34 now has a pet washroom, so if you are travelling with your dog, you can use that, instead of having to go back out through security.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #1427
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

AeroMexico's inaugural MEX-YYC flight is tomorrow, ETA 10:30pm.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #1428
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flight to the US yesterday via Westjet, Gate E.

The lineup for security is really long. Never mind the fact that all the lines get merged back together, to everyone's discomfort, but yesterday was particularly special because there was only one security line operating.

We are standing there impatiently, along with everyone else, when the woman trying to manage the line (to their credit, they finally got a gatekeeper there) starts chatting with one of the women working in security. She asks her about the fact that only one line is running and the response was: "they decided to give it a try today to see how people felt about the wait".

We were standing there thinking maybe a couple people had phoned in sick or something and they just couldn't staff two lines. But nope. Morning rush hour through the international gate and they decided to try going down to one line to see how it would go.

What the serious #### is wrong with these people?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #1429
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

The lineup for security is really long. Never mind the fact that all the lines get merged back together, to everyone's discomfort, but yesterday was particularly special because there was only one security line operating.

We are standing there impatiently, along with everyone else, when the woman trying to manage the line (to their credit, they finally got a gatekeeper there) starts chatting with one of the women working in security. She asks her about the fact that only one line is running and the response was: "they decided to give it a try today to see how people felt about the wait".

We were standing there thinking maybe a couple people had phoned in sick or something and they just couldn't staff two lines. But nope. Morning rush hour through the international gate and they decided to try going down to one line to see how it would go.

you would think that the folks running security screening would prefer to have the line moving as quickly and efficiently as possible so that their front line staff don't have to deal with pissed off people. Long lines suck for passengers but I would assume that the long lines are equally bad for the staff. If I was working in that situation and saw a couple hundred people in line it would be a morale killer for me.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #1430
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

AeroMexico arriving from MEX last night:

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #1431
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds like WestJet is aiming to add flights to/from China. http://vancouversun.com/business/loc...or-new-service
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #1432
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

But bruh, they got the world class automated bin system.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #1433
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Wish they would add more flights to Tokyo and a direct flight to Seoul from YYC, but I can't see that happening. China is the big boy market. Unless Westjet can offer significantly lower prices, I can't see Calgarians wanting to use Westjet when Air Canada, Sichuan, China Southern, China Eastern, Capital Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Hainan fly from Vancouver and Calgary.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #1434
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Wish they would add more flights to Tokyo and a direct flight to Seoul from YYC, but I can't see that happening. China is the big boy market. Unless Westjet can offer significantly lower prices, I can't see Calgarians wanting to use Westjet when Air Canada, Sichuan, China Southern, China Eastern, Capital Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Hainan fly from Vancouver and Calgary.
WestJet will probably offer significantly lower prices when they initially start their flights to China but in exchange for huge delays.

When they first started flying to London they had some good deals but the delays were so bad and the route was costing them so much money they recently announced they'd be cutting back flights to/from London.

I have a friend who flew YYC-Gatwick with WestJet and the flight was delayed ~6 hours, but luckily passenger compensation kicks in around 3 hours so everyone on that flight got about $800 per person.

The passenger compensation is (I'm guessing) why WestJet is cutting back their London flights, but not sure if there is compensation for delays for flights originating in Asia
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #1435
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prices would basically have to be a loss-leader for Westjet for years to even begin to compete with the big dog Asian lines.

I couldn't forsee myself wanting to spend that many hours on a WestJet plane when I could be flying with Cathay or Signapore, etc. Equivalent of flying Transat to Europe instead of a reputable airline.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #1436
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Westjet for more than three hours is a backbreaking. Not comfortable whatsoever, I can't imagine what their trans-continental flights are like. I always use Air Canada and never had a problem with them.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #1437
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
WestJet will probably offer significantly lower prices when they initially start their flights to China but in exchange for huge delays.

When they first started flying to London they had some good deals but the delays were so bad and the route was costing them so much money they recently announced they'd be cutting back flights to/from London.

I have a friend who flew YYC-Gatwick with WestJet and the flight was delayed ~6 hours, but luckily passenger compensation kicks in around 3 hours so everyone on that flight got about $800 per person.

The passenger compensation is (I'm guessing) why WestJet is cutting back their London flights, but not sure if there is compensation for delays for flights originating in Asia
London delays are primarily attributed to the old 767 fleet which is plagued with maintenance issues. The Asian markets will be flown on the new fleet of planes so delays should be minimal and on par with the competition.

The new fleet for the international market should also provide comfort and amenities that is on par with competition. Some of the big players will always have Westjet beat in terms of food quality and level of service though like Cathay, Nippon and Korean.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #1438
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

WestJet may be better than Air Canada when flying within North America, but they don't hold a candle to them for flying intercontinental. I've flown the AC Calgary-Tokyo route multiple times and it's just as good as any of the Asian carriers. Couldn't imagine being stuck in a WestJet plane for 10+ hours
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #1439
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been meaning to post for a while that I've been through the new terminal a few times now and it's been fantastic by all accounts. The interior finishes are beautiful and the food and beverage options are great. Security and customs have gone very smoothly, both for preclearance and returning to Canada.

The only negative for me is that the departure piers are a bit sparse with that rubber, arena style flooring. Obviously it's because that space is not intended to be a waiting area but it's something that can always be upgraded.

I can't help but question the intelligence of the people complaining about the terminal when it first opened.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #1440
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find these areas cramped and ugly, and yeah, the floor is very arena floor-esque

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc