Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #61
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I think part of it has to do with the immaturity (and I mean that in the broad sense as well) of Monahan and Gaudreau. I think value can be had for Monahan. I might have read that Tre had good things to say about Backlund but I saw a centre who seemed slow and rather unengaged.
I agree that they didn't act like leaders. Which to me is troubling given they are not kids any more. 24 and 25 years old respectively, with 5 and 6 years under their belts. Monahan's always been low key emotionally, but Gaudreau used to have more fire. And his reaction to tough checking used to be to go through it to the middle and make guys look silly. Now it's to take a hack and look to the ref. He has a point, but IMO he's lost some calls because of it (not saying it's right but it is what it is).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 03:37 PM   #62
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The end of the first round makes it worse. Instead of the Flames loss being just another upset they are now part of an historical group of upsets that will live on in hockey infamy.

Anyways I’m getting down from the ledge and will be cheering on my team once training camp starts. My mindset has reverted back to 90s Flames fan mode though. The regular season is pretty much meaningless and I won’t be getting any hopes up until the Flames win a first round series.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #63
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
No surprise a young team battling nerves took a bit to find their feet in a game 7 on the road.

Lucky bounces or not, you create your own breaks. When faced with adversity they fought through it and eventually found a way to win.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for the Flames.
do you just search for my posts every morning to disagree with all of them lol

sorry for calling you out 2 months ago for only posting after losses, we good?
Old 04-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #64
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on the ledge, and if I see one more person compare us to Ovechkin and the Capitals, I'm definitely jumping off!

Did BT actually make that statement about Ovy and comparing our team to him? I'd like to see a source, that's very concerning.

Last edited by Winsor_Pilates; 04-25-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #65
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They won fair and square...just saying there is certainly some luck/bounces involved. Canes didn't even play well until overtime where they dominated so full credit to them for that but if Holtby doesn't #### the bed its "good try guys"

They weren't doing a damn thing until that short handed goal
Didn't they also fight back from 2-0 down in the series, and 3-2?
Then 2-0 & 3-1 scores in the game?

Are we talking about the same NHL?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #66
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I'm on the ledge, and if I see one more person compare us to Ovechkin and the Capitals, I'm definitely jumping off!

Did BT actually make that statement about Ovy and comparing our team to him? I'd like to see a source, that's very concerning.
I really hope not.

Maybe that will be this management team's version of "just squeak into 8th and anything can happen!" while consistently being knocked out in the first round.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #67
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't they also fight back from 2-0 down in the series, and 3-2?
Then 2-0 & 3-1 scores in the game?

Are we talking about the same NHL?
Yes, and it is impressive they made it to the 7th game...just saying they are pretty fortunate Holtby and an uncharacteristically bad game. Two of three regulation goals were all on him.

that's hockey
Old 04-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #68
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didnt think the flames were going to be eliminated in the first series but I also had no expectations of them winning it all this year. To me next year is where we become contenders this off season will have tweaks to make the team better
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #69
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
do you just search for my posts every morning to disagree with all of them lol

sorry for calling you out 2 months ago for only posting after losses, we good?
No, but I guess I'm just returning the favour??? I honestly just disagree with every single one of your posts lol.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #70
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, he named OV and Yzerman, as players who did not win till their 30’s.

My problem is both those guys had decent playoff numbers prior to winning a cup, and I doubt much of our young ‘core’, will be around in their 30’s (5-6 years).
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #71
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroneck View Post

My problem is both those guys had decent playoff numbers prior to winning a cup, and I doubt much of our young ‘core’, will be around in their 30’s (5-6 years).
Was going to say the same thing. With Johnny, especially, we only have 3 more years tops. I really don't see him signing his huge ufa contract here. This may not be a bad thing as he'll be 29 when that new contract starts.

Those 2 Gulutzan years really wasted 2 years of this core and I believe this playoff failure, at least partially, has roots in those awful 2 seasons.

Last edited by chedder; 04-25-2019 at 07:28 PM.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #72
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The team the way it is currently constructed in no way inspires any positive thoughts about next year, to me anyways.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #73
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
If anything the conclusion of the 1st round has soured me even more on the Flames failure.

The intensity, the desperation, the never quit attitude of other teams, coupled with the Flames performance both down the stretch and playoffs, further cements my stance that as currently constructed the Flames aren't a playoff threat.

Do I think we need to go into a full rebuild? No, but changes certainly need to be made, and not just minor support player changes, a real hard look at each and every core member.

I'm also not basing this solely on this year, the last 3 playoffs series they've participated in have been alarmingly bad, with no signs of improvement.
Our team needed a guy Darryl Sutter. Too many of our players took the series off with little desperation, or effort.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:31 PM   #74
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroneck View Post

Agreed.
And also what was the context?

The way it's being outlined by the OP, is that he was excusing our core and saying they'll get there eventually when they're older.
I find it hard to believe BT was implying that.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 PM   #75
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Our team needed a guy Darryl Sutter. Too many of our players took the series off with little desperation, or effort.
I don’t disagree but interesting to see that in Darryl’s first trip to playoffs as head coach his team was swept.

As an aside, the guy had an incredible regular season and playoff coaching record, with multiple teams. Those LA teams at the end were no good.

I wish he was still coaching.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 02:07 AM   #76
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don’t disagree but interesting to see that in Darryl’s first trip to playoffs as head coach his team was swept.

As an aside, the guy had an incredible regular season and playoff coaching record, with multiple teams. Those LA teams at the end were no good.

I wish he was still coaching.

He took an underachieving LA team and quickly turned them into contenders. and now they have lost their identity.

I was hoping we hired Darryl because he has the ability to teach players what it takes and how to win; Once ingrained I would have loved us adding a guy like Peter's

I think that is why Darryl had a short shelf life due to his ability to get the most out of players. During the first round stint we just didn't see guys making sacrifices, or winning small the small battles like Sutter's teams. He was a master motivator, something we lacked against the Av's.

Very disappointing! I wouldn't be surprised if next season we get more of the same unless this couch figures out how to get the guys playing playoff hockey.

BT comments that it didn't come for some right away isn't good enough. What if we don't make the playoffs next season? Personally I think we will, but there is always the possibility we rinse and repeat if we don't get it right.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:24 AM   #77
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed.
And also what was the context?

The way it's being outlined by the OP, is that he was excusing our core and saying they'll get there eventually when they're older.
I find it hard to believe BT was implying that.
I think it was more of a passing comment. More of a ‘look on the bright side’, or ‘some guys need more time’, than a ‘be patient, it will be worth the wait’. Kinda uncharacteristic for him. As forthcoming as I find BT (for a GM), he chooses his words carefully.

I doubt it bears any weight on his decision making. One of his greatest strengths is evaluating the players on his team, including their value and shelf life.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote