Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #13001
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Per the last CBA teams were not able to re-sign a player if they used a cap saving compliance buyout on them.
I doubt a Stone situation will be available to the Flames if they go that route. I personally would be fine keeping Lucic on a team friendly deal but if the option is keep him at 5.25 for 3 more years or cut bait with the player/contract altogether the choice is incredibly easy.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 06:54 AM   #13002
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the Hawks might be shopping Strome. Saw an article on the Blewcher report where Friedman states he heard he is available.

Maloney drafted him and is with the Flames. I wonder if Calgary would have interest?
Old 04-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #13003
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Sounds like the Hawks might be shopping Strome. Saw an article on the Blewcher report where Friedman states he heard he is available.

Maloney drafted him and is with the Flames. I wonder if Calgary would have interest?
I like his skillset but he is so slow. I don't think we need another player with skating issues.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #13004
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Location: Ontario. No longer on the 401, so things are looking up.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I like his skillset but he is so slow. I don't think we need another player with skating issues.
He would make Mike Richards appear like an elite skater.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #13005
Monahammer
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lots of pros need to work on skating, and it is an area that they can improve in. Hell, make the trade, then hire the best skating coach in the NHL to work with Tkachuk, Monahan, and Strome for the remainder of the pause in seasons. Strome would be an excellent pick up IMO.

Hanifin for Strome straight across?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:39 AM   #13006
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Location: Ontario. No longer on the 401, so things are looking up.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lots of pros need to work on skating, and it is an area that they can improve in. Hell, make the trade, then hire the best skating coach in the NHL to work with Tkachuk, Monahan, and Strome for the remainder of the pause in seasons. Strome would be an excellent pick up IMO.

Flames: *click*. (I hope)
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #13007
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hawks would need to add but I could see this being the basis of a deal
Old 04-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #13008
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He is too slow. If you are going to trade Hanifin in a deal to get a Chance you should go big to get a legit #1C. I am looking at the upcoming draft and wonder if NJ takes Quinton Byfield that would allow them to trade a C. We heard they were interested in Hanifin when the Hall rumours were circulating. Then how much would they love to bring the hometown boy there? Yes, I am referring to Gaudreau. I don't think the Flyers will be able to afford his next contract but the Devils surely will. So I am thinking something around Gaudreau and Hanifin for Hischier. Hischier is exactly what this team needs, a young #1 C that can be a cornerstone for years. The Devils get back an elite hometown winger who will pack the building and a young D man that at worst will be a 2nd pairing solid D man and more likely projects as a top 2. They have Jack Hughes and Byfield going forward as their 1-2 punch down the middle.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #13009
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about Bennett+ for Strome?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #13010
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
What about Bennett+ for Strome?
That + would need to be better than Bennett himself who is probably worth a 3rd realistically.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #13011
Dan403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

No. Just NO.

Strome is NOT what this team needs.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #13012
Harry Lime
First Line Centre

Exp:

There was a lot of speculation around here that if the season went poorly, or the playoffs ended with anywhere close to a first round sweep, there would be big changes to the core of the team.

If the season is scrapped, where does that leave the overall plan for the team? Treat next season as a do-over with the same group, or go ahead with changes to improve the team?
Old 04-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #13013
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
There was a lot of speculation around here that if the season went poorly, or the playoffs ended with anywhere close to a first round sweep, there would be big changes to the core of the team.

If the season is scrapped, where does that leave the overall plan for the team? Treat next season as a do-over with the same group, or go ahead with changes to improve the team?
Well there has to be changes this year. Only so much money to sign 4 d men and a couple fws. So Tree doesnt get to see what his group could actually accomplish
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #13014
MrMike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Well there has to be changes this year. Only so much money to sign 4 d men and a couple fws. So Tree doesnt get to see what his group could actually accomplish
I think everything will depend on what happens to the salary cap.
MrMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:00 PM   #13015
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

I think the Flames are always looking to improve...they tried to land Hall this season. Tre didn't want to go into this season with basically the same roster he just didn't have much of a choice when some stuff fell through.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #13016
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

YESSSSSSSSSS TO TRADE RUMOURS!!!!!

Cue the the our garbage for someone else's player.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #13017
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He is too slow. If you are going to trade Hanifin in a deal to get a Chance you should go big to get a legit #1C. I am looking at the upcoming draft and wonder if NJ takes Quinton Byfield that would allow them to trade a C. We heard they were interested in Hanifin when the Hall rumours were circulating. Then how much would they love to bring the hometown boy there? Yes, I am referring to Gaudreau. I don't think the Flyers will be able to afford his next contract but the Devils surely will. So I am thinking something around Gaudreau and Hanifin for Hischier. Hischier is exactly what this team needs, a young #1 C that can be a cornerstone for years. The Devils get back an elite hometown winger who will pack the building and a young D man that at worst will be a 2nd pairing solid D man and more likely projects as a top 2. They have Jack Hughes and Byfield going forward as their 1-2 punch down the middle.
What has Hischer really accomplished. I know he is young but to me the jury is still out on him being an elite talent.
dirk diggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #13018
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Crazy to think that the NHL shut down just 2 weeks after the trade deadline. It's looking less likely that the season will be able to restart at all, unless they play out an abbreviated playoffs without fans. Even next season is sounding nebulous based on some regional restrictions (eg: Bay area, Montreal).

This all makes me glad that we didn't break the bank on a push for this season. Although some of the deals we made for D still make no sense, they are tolerable losses.
  • Carolina, Arizona, NYI, Boston, and TBL (x2) lost 1st round picks.
  • Oilers (x2), VGK (x3), NYI, Caps, Nucks, and the Blues lost 2nd rounders and other 2nd tier pieces.
  • The Canes lost a bunch for Trocheck (albeit they still have a few more years), but NYI and Arizona lost a ton for Pageau and Hall. Canucks lost some decent pieces for Toffoli.

The teams buying rentals almost always lose at the trade deadline, but this season is making them look like more indisputable losses than most. In particular the TBL, NYI, Arizona, and VGK look like the biggest losers. Unfortunately the California teams all chose a great year to sell.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #13019
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
HIGHLY unlikely that Hischier would get traded after signing an extension to remain in Jersey. If anything, the Flames would trade Hanifin for a 1st round pick in this year's draft if:

a) management thinks they wouldn't miss a beat with Kylington and Valimaki sharing the #4 role behind Giordano, Andersson and Brodie/Hamonic (whoever is re-signed)

and/or

b) A team with a top 10/15 pick is desperate for a good defenseman rather than a top end forward prospect. Using New Jersey as a prime example, they could use AZ's pick for Hanifin. I would accept it (and maybe a small + from them) since we desperately need to get top end forwards.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #13020
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

The assumption here is that these players will be the same players and people they were before this pandemic.

Who knows the mental and physical state of each and every one of these players come the fall, simply because the way and timing of the season ending, their ability to stay in physical shape now and through an offseason with quarantine restrictions.

And, the mental uncertainties that they face about life going forward, just like all of us, may make them different players, as it's a very fine line to continue as a high performance athlete when everything around them is mostly normal, and everything is not normal.

Add to the fact that salary cap and teams in different financial situations, it it's a convoluted situation.

If Taylor Hall wants to play close to Calgary because of family after this. Or, he's become more attached to Arizona because of this and now doesn't want to leave.

Some players may want to avoid NYC after this because of what's gone on there with Covid and ask to get out of there no matter what.

Extreme, but some players may become germophones and not get over the mental aspects of all this, at least enough to keep the edge they had as a high-performance pro.

Some teams may not play at home until November given regional restrictions, so that team may have less revenue coming in and be spending 15$m less on a salary cap and that means other players are available from their roster.

Some players may take this time and turn themselves around positively, mentally and physically, and be a totally different player when they get back to it, for the better.

So many factors at play, if they don't get back to hockey before the fall, it will take months to determine who's who in the zoo as far as player values as far as for trades, and thus, for what needs teams will have (and resources available) depending how the individual players come out if this.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: