Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #41
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too have stopped taking the train and now take the SE BRT. It takes a few minutes longer but about a third of the time I took the train, there was some kind of major delay.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #42
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
The lack of a really convenient public transportation system is one reason I think I just couldn't possibly move back to Calgary as it is now. The idea of needing to have a car to get around a city quickly and easily just seems like a massive inconvenience.
How is having your own personal chariot that can take you door to door anywhere in the city (or North America, for that matter) at a moment's notice inconvenient?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #43
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Didn't know about the duel stops at 11th st and City Hall, that's good.

Also was unaware of the long term plans for 5 cars on the NW-South line, that could prove to be interesting in terms of re-fitting some stations.
Duel stops?

Damnit, does that mean I'm gonna have to shoot someone at 10 paces every time I try to take the last seat on the train?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #44
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
How is having your own personal chariot that can take you door to door anywhere in the city (or North America, for that matter) at a moment's notice inconvenient?
See the literally thousands of posts on this board bitching about traffic and driving issues
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #45
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Having to NEED it to get anywhere is what is inconvenient.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #46
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

It seems like a complete waste of money to build it along Deerfoot. Why even bother? We'd be way further ahead spending that money on a ring route, or even portions of it, than on a useless track along Deerfoot.

And as for the Center street route, expropriating all those properties along the way, or even a couple blocks off, would be insanely expensive. Probably as expensive as it would cost to buy a tunneling machine and just dig rather than cut and cover, or at grade.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #47
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
See the literally thousands of posts on this board bitching about traffic and driving issues
With public transportation you have to walk/bus over to a train platform, stand around waiting for a train, get off, then walk or bus (more waiting) to your final destination.

A car takes you door to door on your schedule. Yeah there's traffic, but it's still way more convenient than public transportation.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #48
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Duel stops?

Damnit, does that mean I'm gonna have to shoot someone at 10 paces every time I try to take the last seat on the train?
Only if they slap you with their glove!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #49
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
And as for the Center street route, expropriating all those properties along the way, or even a couple blocks off, would be insanely expensive. Probably as expensive as it would cost to buy a tunneling machine and just dig rather than cut and cover, or at grade.
Cut & Cover would be the best choice by far, just very inconvenient for drivers during the year or so of construction.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #50
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Having to NEED it to get anywhere is what is inconvenient.
Ahh gotcha. Good point. You really do need a car here. I like cars and I like driving so I'm down with that, but I get what you're saying.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #51
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A car takes you door to door on your schedule. Yeah there's traffic, but it's still way more convenient than public transportation.
The thing is the bigger that Calgary gets, the less convenient it's going to be for cars. Traffic will increase, parking will be harder to find, the city will get denser and busier.....there will be a point where it will become really inconvenient for day to day use. Public transit helps to alleviate these issues.

Cars are great and I love them, but it's always great to have options so youre not trapped in by only one mode of transport (and sometimes public transit can be a lot more convenient). Even if you never take transit, support it's development for selfish reasons....The more people take transit, the fewer cars on the road for you to deal with.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #52
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
That only works when you're not drinking.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #53
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Has the North Central line been approved/price estimated?

There is literally no public transportation in my area of the city except buses and it will help these areas out a lot.

I hope that after they finish all 6 lines going out of downtown (if they all get developed), they'll put a ring around them to connect them all rather than (like mentioned) having to go through downtown as the hub. Downtown is the hub, do we need to make it even more of a clusterfata?

I really hope they all get made, will make Calgary a much better city.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #54
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a big fan of Will Hamilton's long term vision for the C-Train and "C-Tram", which he details and costs on his blog.

This is an image of the C-Tram plan with the LRT plan as well:

You can see the detail of his whole plan on his blog:

http://beltliner.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.html

Last edited by Bunk; 10-12-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #55
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks pretty sweet. Too bad we'll all be slurping applesauce in a rest home by the time the LRT looks like that.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #56
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It seems like a complete waste of money to build it along Deerfoot. Why even bother? We'd be way further ahead spending that money on a ring route, or even portions of it, than on a useless track along Deerfoot.

Might be expansive as eff, but it would be well worth it in the long term. The TOD development you could do up Centre Street from downtown all the way up to at least Beddington Blvd potentially is massive. Plus the line would actually get used since it's right in between a bunch of homes, rather then away from them whereas the Deerfoot alignment is like.

Calgary is very conservative on spending money on big projects. If the cost to do it right is too high, they would prefer to do the cheaper way. All that does is cause headaches for us years down the road and provides a missed opportunity at a cheaper price in the past. If we're down to the option of going the cheap and easy way or the more expensive but beneficial way, we should be siding with the latter much more often.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #57
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Might be expansive as eff, but it would be well worth it in the long term. The TOD development you could do up Centre Street from downtown all the way up to at least Beddington Blvd potentially is massive. Plus the line would actually get used since it's right in between a bunch of homes, rather then away from them whereas the Deerfoot alignment is like.

Calgary is very conservative on spending money on big projects. If the cost to do it right is too high, they would prefer to do the cheaper way. All that does is cause headaches for us years down the road and provides a missed opportunity at a cheaper price in the past. If we're down to the option of going the cheap and easy way or the more expensive but beneficial way, we should be siding with the latter much more often.
Calgary development being done in a beneficial way? Let alone Calgary Transit? That totally flies in the face of CT's "We're the lesser of two evils, love us!" business model.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #58
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This really dosent matter if they charge 1000 dollars a day to park and fares are 5+ dollars... no one is going to use the damn things anyways...

Plus they would need to connect the SE and SW lines together... why would i have to go ALL the way downtown and back down the SE line just to go from Shawnessy to Mckenzie.
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #59
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Plus they would need to connect the SE and SW lines together... why would i have to go ALL the way downtown and back down the SE line just to go from Shawnessy to Mckenzie.
I'm assuming they have buses you could take instead. You'd only have to go all the way downtown and back if you're unable to figure out how to take the bus.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #60
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Also the way it appears on the map provided by the OP it looks like travel Downtown will require a transfer to a no doubt packed NE train meaning an absoulute cluster____ during rush hour.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings