Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #41
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Awesome thread, had to bump it. Keep us updated, especially with those Europe/Asia flight deals! If I had some extra cash right now I'd book a flight to Tokyo right now!
No worries, whenever I find a great deal it will be posted here! And I hope others do the same, so we can all be the first to know.

82 people have already joined the Calgary Flights Deals & Travel Specials Facebook Group. I will send out alerts on there as well, which is handy if you want instant notification.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #42
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

May 18, 2009 - New Deals

Ok, these flights to Tokyo are just getting ridiculous now....

CALGARY TO TOKYO - $420 USD incl taxes/fees

That is not a misprint.

Northwest.

Tons of dates in May/June. 7 day trip. 10 day trip. It's up to you.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #43
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
May 18, 2009 - New Deals

Ok, these flights to Tokyo are just getting ridiculous now....

CALGARY TO TOKYO - $420 USD incl taxes/fees

That is not a misprint.

Northwest.

Tons of dates in May/June. 7 day trip. 10 day trip. It's up to you.
Is this Air Canada?
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #44
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I'm so disappointed! Has that Tokyo deal disappeared? It seems so!

Last edited by Kipper is King; 05-19-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Kipper is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #45
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing View Post
Is this Air Canada?
Hi,

No, it's on Northwest.

Quote:
I'm so disappointed! Has that Tokyo deal disappeared? It seems so!
Hmmmm, it seems to be gone from NWA.com, but if you go to Kayak.com and enter in Calgary->Tokyo from June 1-15, and then click on the fare price ($420) and select Orbitz, it seems to still be available.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #46
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

May 20, 2009 - New Deals

CALGARY TO AMSTERDAM - $575 CDN ? Maybe?

According to Flight Centre, the June 5-13th flight to Amsterdam is $575, incl taxes. The flight is with Air Transat.

However, when I look at AirTransat.ca, or Kayak, or anywhere else, it is listed as being closer to $700.

So I'm not sure if Flight Centre has screwed up or what (it seems to me they might have screwed up the amount of taxes that apply).

Anyone looking for a cheap flight to Europe around that time might want to give Flight Centre a call and see if they can get that price.

Link to deal on Flight Centre: http://tinyurl.com/quc3ls
Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #47
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

May 21, 2009 - New Deals

CALGARY to SAN FRANCISCO - $255 CDN inc taxes

Sat, Jun 6 to Sat, Jun 13 on WestJet.

CALGARY to NEWARK - $300 USD inc taxes

June 6 or 7th to June 13th or 14th on United.

EDMONTON to LOS ANGELES - $270 CDN inc taxes

Sat, Jun 6 to Sat, Jun 13 on WestJet.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #48
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was linked on Stumbledupon today.

http://www.wisebread.com/travel-resources

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #49
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

For those that didn't click Furnace Face's link

I just spend about a half hour going through Seat Guru scoping out how my seats for my upcoming trip to Kelowa are fairing out (for the most part very well, totally didn't expect power on most of my flights, as well as having TV access, completely forgot about that. I'm used to el cheapo (now charter only) CanJet, or the small regional planes like the Dash-8 100's or BaE 148's. Dear Self, Welcome to the new age of flight.

Also went looking through the various configurations of the A380's.

I'm an avation nerd, but man that site is cool!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #50
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This was linked on Stumbledupon today.

http://www.wisebread.com/travel-resources
Here's my thoughts on some of their '40 Most Useful Travel Websites', at least, the ones that I have used..

FareCast - Awesome idea (trying to predict airfares and whether they will drop or fall) but not really useful for Calgarians (or any Canadians really) since our city isn't supported.

Kayak - definitely one of the best sites, especially after you have a good idea of your dates/cities. The number of ways you can sort flights by travel time, stopovers, price, etc, is what makes it so powerful.

Also, I love their hotel search, because you can plot all the hotels on a Google map, sort them by price, and figure out what the best deal is based on location.

Orbitz - my go to site for car rental bookings. Their 'Orbitz Refund' guarantee (if someone else books a seat on a plane for the same price they will 'send you a cheque') is bull, and their rules/regs/restrictions guarantee you will never get that cheque.

Travelocity - used to be one of my favorites, back when they had a decent 'flexible date search'. You could search for prices for an entire range of months, including international flights. Now it's just domestic, and even those don't work a lot of the time.

Trip Advisor - AMAZING site. Oh man, I can't tell you how much better this site has made my vacations. Sort the hotels by review rating and look for a good price. I don't think I've had a bad hotel in 4 years thanks to this site. Also, the forums are awesome for trip planning.

Virtual Tourist - used it a few times here and there for travel tips/ideas.

I'm surprised Fare Compare isn't on the list. In my opinion it's one of the most innovative sites, and does a lot of things that I can't find anywhere else.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #51
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

May 22, 2009 - New Deals

CALGARY to PALM SPRINGS - $213 CDN inc taxes

Sat, Jun 6 to Sat, Jun 13 on WestJet.ca
Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #52
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Here's my thoughts on some of their '40 Most Useful Travel Websites', at least, the ones that I have used..

FareCast - Awesome idea (trying to predict airfares and whether they will drop or fall) but not really useful for Calgarians (or any Canadians really) since our city isn't supported.

Kayak - definitely one of the best sites, especially after you have a good idea of your dates/cities. The number of ways you can sort flights by travel time, stopovers, price, etc, is what makes it so powerful.

Also, I love their hotel search, because you can plot all the hotels on a Google map, sort them by price, and figure out what the best deal is based on location.

Orbitz - my go to site for car rental bookings. Their 'Orbitz Refund' guarantee (if someone else books a seat on a plane for the same price they will 'send you a cheque') is bull, and their rules/regs/restrictions guarantee you will never get that cheque.

Travelocity - used to be one of my favorites, back when they had a decent 'flexible date search'. You could search for prices for an entire range of months, including international flights. Now it's just domestic, and even those don't work a lot of the time.

Trip Advisor - AMAZING site. Oh man, I can't tell you how much better this site has made my vacations. Sort the hotels by review rating and look for a good price. I don't think I've had a bad hotel in 4 years thanks to this site. Also, the forums are awesome for trip planning.

Virtual Tourist - used it a few times here and there for travel tips/ideas.

I'm surprised Fare Compare isn't on the list. In my opinion it's one of the most innovative sites, and does a lot of things that I can't find anywhere else.
I also LOVE tripadvisor. An awesome travel site for sure - although you do have to take some reviews with a grain of salt... you can tell who the high-maintenance types are at times.

What about hotwire for car rentals? I've gotten some good deals through them.

So are these flights mostly last minute deals that you're finding? My family wants to go to Hawaii at Christmas time, we'd all be flying through Vancouver probably (leaving from Van, Kelowna and Calgary). I've been checking westjet and Aircanada but the prices don't seem that great yet.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #53
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I also LOVE tripadvisor. An awesome travel site for sure - although you do have to take some reviews with a grain of salt... you can tell who the high-maintenance types are at times.
Agreed, when there are 99 great reviews, and 1 person ranting & raving, you can usually dismiss it I usually just sort by overall rating, and pick a place that has been reviewed at least 25 times.

Quote:
What about hotwire for car rentals? I've gotten some good deals through them.
Never actually tried there for car rentals but good idea! The prices look pretty similar to Orbitz from what I can see, but it never hurts.

Quote:
So are these flights mostly last minute deals that you're finding? My family wants to go to Hawaii at Christmas time, we'd all be flying through Vancouver probably (leaving from Van, Kelowna and Calgary). I've been checking westjet and Aircanada but the prices don't seem that great yet.
They're not always last minute, the crazy flight deal I got for a June trip to Dublin (<$400) was way back in January. The Tokyo deals were showing up in late April for May/June.

As for Hawaii at Christmas. Well, I hate to say it, but I'd be pretty surprised if you found a great deal to Hawaii (or practically anywhere) at Christmas. If you did, it would likely be a Christmas Eve or Christmas Day departure. Or if you can go a week before Christmas, and come home a few days after New Years you might find something.

Right now it looks like the cheapest days to depart for Honolulu are the 17th/18th/19th ($870 USD). And then it just gets worse from there...

20th - $1005
21st - $998
22nd - $961
23rd - $1005
24th - $957

Contrast that with the first week of January ($683) and you see what a premium there is for the Christmas holidays.

You never know though, I didn't think I'd ever see sub-$500 flights to Japan either!
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #54
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

For HNL also check NWA (seattle), US Airways(phoenix), United (San Fran) etc.

My parents were there durring spring break on Westjet for 487 return with tax so those prices are crazy.

Christmas is always crazy to Hawaii. I would wait, its an urban legend that booking 6+months in advance helps.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #55
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find you need to be careful with Tripadvisor. Don't just immediately discount the place because of some negative reviews. I've gone to places which many panned and it was excellent. It's best to try and read between the lines on what type of traveller the poster is. If they are expecting 5 star everything at a 3 star hotel then I have to question it.

And regarding Seatguru, it is a cool site, but not always 100% accurate with the seat Amenities.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #56
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

May 24, 2009 - New Deals

CALGARY to TOKYO - $349 USD inc taxes

Variety of dates in June and early July. Northwest.

Seriously. WTF. How is this plane not full of Calgarians & Seattleites yet?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #57
enthused
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Holy crap. How are those flights to Tokyo so cheap? Thats seriously like $100 cheaper than the flight I just booked to friggin Montreal.
enthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #58
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yeah! What the hell? It cost me $464 return to fly to Halifax last week. I could have gone to Tokyo instead?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #59
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

3:10 to Yuma?

Actually, $317...

CALGARY TO YUMA, AZ

One of those oddball fares. Today, U.S. Airways dropped their prices on flights to Yuma by a fairly significant amount.

$317 USD incl taxes, for what looks like pretty much any dates you want to go in June.

Don't ask me what there is to do in Yuma. Golf comes to mind. It's about half way between San Diego and Phoenix.

And I imagine it's pretty damn hot in June!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #60
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

May 27, 2009 - New Deals

CALGARY TO WYOMING

Some more oddball fares...

Calgary to Gillette, Wyoming (GCC) is on sale for $192 USD incl taxes. Flights to this tiny airport are usually $900+ !

The date is June 6 - June 9 on United.

Alternatively, you can fly to Rock Springs, Wyoming (RKS) for $202 USD.

They're both about 200 miles from...well, everything. But if you find yourself wanting to just get away for a while and taking in something different. Yellowstone Park is one option.