Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2022, 11:57 AM   #1
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Destination Weddings - Need help!

Hey everyone,

My Fiance and I are looking to book our wedding for 2023 and would like to do a destination wedding. Likely Mexico but open to other places (both our parents are living in Puerto Vallarta)

Likely 25-75 people depending on a few factors but we have a decent size friend group that are looking for a vacation so we figure it'll likely be in the 50-75 range if we can keep it affordable for everyone.

Looking for recommendations for a wedding planner (local to the area we are getting married or who have extensive experience in those areas), photographer, venue, resorts to check out, etc.

Ideally, everyone stays at the same place and we can get married at the same place (to save transporting everyone back/forth from resort/venue). Obviously we're open to ideas, anything to help make this easier to plan.

TLDR

- Looking for suggestions on anything destination wedding related.
- Timeframe: Anytime in 2023 but the more time for planning, the better for everyone else.
- Venue: Prefer Outside but open to ideas
- Location: Anywhere warm but Mexico is easiest due to family already being there.
- Cost: Reasonable for a group of 50-75 people?

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a recent thread on the subject. There might be some useful advice in there: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=189262

Some people have strong opinions about destination weddings, so buckle up...
Old 09-28-2022, 12:07 PM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
There was a recent thread on the subject. There might be some useful advice in there: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=189262

Some people have strong opinions about destination weddings, so buckle up...
Surprisingly strong opinions.

God man....they gotta drop the puck on the season here....this off-season has been brutal!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When we got married in Cancun the hotel had their own wedding planner that I think was kinda included in the cost of everything. I don't remember paying for it seperatly, but do remember they were good, and lots of communication.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:09 PM   #5
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

If 75 people came and you went super cheap on the hotel, you'd be looking at around $1500/person minimum. Throw in travel insurance, airport parking/cabs, and all the thises and thats and you're more like $2k/person.

Your ask is that your friends and family collectively pony up $150,000 to watch you get married in Mexico!?

I can't even.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:09 PM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #7
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

No need to voice my opinion again from the other thread, but I'm just here for the
Old 09-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

while i am not disputing your math - i just dont feel this si teh right way to look at it.

Regardless of where the wedding is there is likely an expense in going. For those that are looking for an excuse to get a tropical vacation in then it is not a big deal.

There are others who are not going to go because it is too much money, effort and time to attend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

If 75 people came and you went super cheap on the hotel, you'd be looking at around $1500/person minimum. Throw in travel insurance, airport parking/cabs, and all the thises and thats and you're more like $2k/person.

Your ask is that your friends and family collectively pony up $150,000 to watch you get married in Mexico!?

I can't even.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:12 PM   #9
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
while i am not disputing your math - i just dont feel this si teh right way to look at it.

Regardless of where the wedding is there is likely an expense in going. For those that are looking for an excuse to get a tropical vacation in then it is not a big deal.

There are others who are not going to go because it is too much money, effort and time to attend
Sliver thinks everyone should get married in a backyard (his backyard?) and snack on bags of chips. Total cost for 75 people off the top of my head would be about $400.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:28 PM   #10
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Sliver thinks everyone should get married in a backyard (his backyard?) and snack on bags of chips. Total cost for 75 people off the top of my head would be about $400.
Oooh la la.
Someone's serving Miss Vickie's I see.

What ever happened to good old no name chips?
Freaking kids these days!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 01:57 PM   #11
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Oooh la la.
Someone's serving Miss Vickie's I see.

What ever happened to good old no name chips?
Freaking kids these days!
No Miss Vickie's here.

I see you're not considering the cost of tap water.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:01 PM   #12
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can't even.

What is the relevance in speaking about it in terms of collective cost?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:10 PM   #13
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ohh this thread is gonna get juicy...you've inadvertently stumbled upon a recent touchy subject in these parts, sir.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:17 PM   #14
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
Hey everyone,

My Fiance and I are looking to book our wedding for 2023 and would like to do a destination wedding. Likely Mexico but open to other places (both our parents are living in Puerto Vallarta)

Likely 25-75 people depending on a few factors but we have a decent size friend group that are looking for a vacation so we figure it'll likely be in the 50-75 range if we can keep it affordable for everyone.

Looking for recommendations for a wedding planner (local to the area we are getting married or who have extensive experience in those areas), photographer, venue, resorts to check out, etc.

Ideally, everyone stays at the same place and we can get married at the same place (to save transporting everyone back/forth from resort/venue). Obviously we're open to ideas, anything to help make this easier to plan.

TLDR

- Looking for suggestions on anything destination wedding related.
- Timeframe: Anytime in 2023 but the more time for planning, the better for everyone else.
- Venue: Prefer Outside but open to ideas
- Location: Anywhere warm but Mexico is easiest due to family already being there.
- Cost: Reasonable for a group of 50-75 people?

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!
you're doing a destination wedding wrong.

I thought destination weddings were for people who don't want guests but feel obligated to invite them.

you're supposed to plan it so almost nobody wants to go, or can afford to go.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:37 PM   #15
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Elope and do a small gathering back home after. Seriously, I don't want to dog pile, but unless you ONLY want immediate family, this is a dumb thing to ask of your friends/extended relatives
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 02:52 PM   #16
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What is the relevance in speaking about it in terms of collective cost?
Because that's how it works to cost something out?

You want a big wedding in a beautiful beach destination with all the people you like/love there, but you don't want to pay for it. So you take the cost, which is about $150,000, and divide it by 75 people. Then you get your dream wedding, amazing photos and everyone you've ever cared about loses all respect for you. Seems like a great deal.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #17
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

You want a big wedding in a beautiful beach destination with all the people you like/love there, but you don't want to pay for it. So you take the cost, which is about $150,000, and divide it by 75 people. Then you get your dream wedding, amazing photos and everyone you've ever cared about loses all respect for you. Seems like a great deal.
What if someone is willing to pay for it? Still selfish from a time-of-the-guest perspective? Or does a free vacation cancel that out?
Old 09-28-2022, 03:23 PM   #18
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe I misread the OP, but sounds like every guest is paying for themselves.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #19
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
What if someone is willing to pay for it? Still selfish from a time-of-the-guest perspective? Or does a free vacation cancel that out?
If the couple is going to pay to have the guests attend? That's very generous. If people want to use their holiday time for that it's an amazing gift from the couple to the guests.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 03:26 PM   #20
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Maybe I misread the OP, but sounds like every guest is paying for themselves.
That's exactly correct. The bride and groom are having a large beach-side wedding that their guests are funding. The bride and groom will pay $4000 and the remaining $146,000 it will cost to have everyone attend will be divided amongst the 75 guests.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:

Tags
destination , love , marry , mexico , wedding