Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-31-2022, 10:09 AM   #1
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Religions doing awful things

We may as well have a thread for this stuff...

Quote:
The head of a Saskatchewan bible camp admitted an exorcism was performed on a boy displaying symptoms of a seizure, and that no one provided medical care during or after the ceremony...
On the call, Thiessen says there were multiple camp staff members on site with medical training, including three lifeguards and a retired nurse, but admitted none were called to check on the boy at any point.
Quote:
"I've got a room full of boys that are absolutely terrified … they are cowering under their blankets," Doerksen said in the video.

Doerksen said he was successful at casting out multiple demons from the boy. Parents say he handed out business cards so the boys could stay in touch should the demons return.

Four of the boys called their parents that night to take them home. Parents say Doerksen and Thiessen and others defended the exorcism. They used phrases such as "spiritual warfare" and "satanic activity," parents said.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...567609?cmp=rss

I'd like to say I feel bad for the parents having their trust betrayed and having their child's life be put in danger, but they are the ones sending their kids to this type of place inn the first place, for indoctrination. So I really feel bad for the kids.

It's frustrating seeing this stuff over and over, yet they always get handled with kids gloves, lest someone piss off the church.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 10:31 AM   #2
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t think this thread is viable.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Demons were a 14th century invention created through fictional material.

Hard eye roll every time I see a religious group indoctrinating the concept in their practices, let alone with children.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:32 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Shortage of material, or too many people happy to turn a blind eye?
Old 08-31-2022, 10:57 AM   #5
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then don't read it.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:00 AM   #6
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
not enough material? /s
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 11:02 AM   #7
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think at some point it should be pointed out that there is a difference between "religion" and A person who may not be acting on what is best or taught, regardless of faith, teaching, or upbringing. Each individual is responsible for their own actions.

I am a believer and a follower of Jesus Christ, Yeshua. That may not be popular but that is who I am. In my opinion the actions of this man are not right and don't represent what I believe at all. These kinds of things have happened for centuries by people who claim to follow and know God, but who, by their actions, do not represent Him.
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Playfair For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 11:08 AM   #8
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Most research shows that religious people live longer than non-religious people by a significant margin (4 years):

https://www.livescience.com/62809-re...longevity.html

You can't conclude that religion has overall negative effects. The solution isn't to ban religion, but instead just to simply enforce laws. We already have laws that prevent people from denying medical treatment to children having seizures. Just enforce those.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

What could go wrong at Bible camp?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:12 AM   #10
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Most research shows that religious people live longer than non-religious people by a significant margin (4 years):

https://www.livescience.com/62809-re...longevity.html

What? Lmao.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 11:19 AM   #11
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Shortage of material, or too many people happy to turn a blind eye?
Could be 40000 pages long in 3 days and still inevitably devolve into Catholics v. Muslims v. Atheists v. Hindus v. Protestants v. Buddhists.

Bad things done in the guise of religion has to have the largest bibliography of all time. But sure as shot waiting for Slivers enlightenment and Whodunits Pakistani stoning videos.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:19 AM   #12
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playfair View Post
I think at some point it should be pointed out that there is a difference between "religion" and A person who may not be acting on what is best or taught, regardless of faith, teaching, or upbringing. Each individual is responsible for their own actions.

I am a believer and a follower of Jesus Christ, Yeshua. That may not be popular but that is who I am. In my opinion the actions of this man are not right and don't represent what I believe at all. These kinds of things have happened for centuries by people who claim to follow and know God, but who, by their actions, do not represent Him.
https://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-wor...sings/exorcism

It would appear that this fellow was indeed following on the taught faith practice in this case. These practices were formally reapproved in the US as recently as 2014.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:20 AM   #13
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What? Lmao.
I don't think it's that much of stretch. Religious people are probably more likely to have family orientated lives and less likely to be alcoholics or use drugs. They're probably also more likely to settle into a family orientated lifestyle earlier, which means spending less money on doing fewer high risk activities into their late 20s and thirties.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 11:21 AM   #14
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

In 2017, Francis, seen as a progressive Pope, recommended that parishioners be referred to exorcists if demonic possession is suspected. https://www.christianpost.com/news/p...ssions-177949/
Old 08-31-2022, 11:22 AM   #15
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playfair View Post

If someone wants to believe whatever they choose to believe, well that's up to them. I don't take issue with that. I may conclude what they chose to believe is silly, or wrong, but my conclusion has no affect on either of our lives.

The problem is when it affects society, and when children don't get to make up their own mind because they have been conditioned as to what the "truth" is. When we accept that children will go to church or school, or bible camp, and be abused, and then leave it to the church to do their own investigation, where they then protect the offenders.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 11:24 AM   #16
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Could be 40000 pages long in 3 days and still inevitably devolve into Catholics v. Muslims v. Atheists v. Hindus v. Protestants v. Buddhists.

Bad things done in the guise of religion has to have the largest bibliography of all time. But sure as shot waiting for Slivers enlightenment and Whodunits Pakistani stoning videos.
I was thinking more one common spot to post the news and discuss each new abuse as it comes to light. I mean, we can make a new thread for each one if you like. Or we can ignore it, I guess?
Old 08-31-2022, 11:24 AM   #17
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't worry. Even if you rape kids or steal or assault someone you can always ask for forgiveness on Sundays!

It's a pretty sweet model actually.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:31 AM   #18
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Let's just leave the buddhists out of this and let others have their fun.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:37 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Don't worry. Even if you rape kids or steal or assault someone you can always ask for forgiveness on Sundays!

It's a pretty sweet model actually.
I guess if you are into that sort of thing...
Old 08-31-2022, 11:41 AM   #20
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Let's just leave the buddhists out of this and let others have their fun.
Meh, any vehicle of such magnitude can be corrupted. Buddhism is no different; look into the culture of the Tibetan Lamas and what was essentially the mass slavery they enforced in the plateau prior to being unhoused by the Chinese.

Here are the societal divisions they enforced: [IMG] https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/ce/cohk/eng...8886928279.jpg [/IMG]

Last edited by Monahammer; 08-31-2022 at 11:47 AM.