Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 10-02-2022, 09:29 PM   #41
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, this has been a bit of a bust. The new scene program has no base offer, and their big "intro" offer of 1000 scene for $100 spend is worth $10, which was pretty much the same as the standard weekly air miles offer. All-in the value proposition is definitely worse than previously.

But worst of all imo, you can't scan the bar code at the self checkout. The choices are either type in the 16 digit number on the screen or wait for the attendant to scan it for you, both of which are way slower than scanning it yourself. The biggest reason to shop at Safeway imo is the speed- anything that slows it down is a big downgrade.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 09:58 PM   #42
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I earned more Scene points buying $43 of groceries today than I would have earned Air Miles in an entire year.

That said, yeah, the "earn" rate is crap and it's not very convenient to use. I imagine it will be tinkered with going forward.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:19 PM   #43
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If you have a Scotiabank Scene credit card, I believe you can now get three points for every dollar you spend at Safeway. Pretty good deal IMO.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:59 PM   #44
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I earned more Scene points buying $43 of groceries today than I would have earned Air Miles in an entire year.

That said, yeah, the "earn" rate is crap and it's not very convenient to use. I imagine it will be tinkered with going forward.
Number of points is a bad metric. Air Miles are worth 10.5 cents each, whereas Scene points are worth 1 cent each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If you have a Scotiabank Scene credit card, I believe you can now get three points for every dollar you spend at Safeway. Pretty good deal IMO.
3 cents per dollar on groceries isn't the best deal available for credit cards. Amex Cobalt has 5x. Even sticking with Scotiabank you can get thr Visa Momentum infinite with 4% cash back at all grocery stores.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:03 PM   #45
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

But none of the airport lounge access that you get with the Passport Infinite

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:04 AM   #46
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Number of points is a bad metric. Air Miles are worth 10.5 cents each, whereas Scene points are worth 1 cent each.
Let me rephrase: I earned more equivalent cash value in Scene points than I would have earned equivalent cash value in Air Miles. I would have earned 2 Air Miles, or 21˘; instead I earned 100 Scene points, or $1.

Neither "move the needle" for my shopping decisions and preferences, and if I didn't already have a Scene card I probably wouldn't bother at all, but I found it super amusing that I earned so much more in the first shopping trip as compared to Air Miles.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:10 AM   #47
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have scanned my app 3 times at Sobey's so far and still have 0 transactions in my account. F this thing
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:25 AM   #48
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found that Scene is on a 2-3 day delay before transactions show in your account.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:27 AM   #49
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Let me rephrase: I earned more equivalent cash value in Scene points than I would have earned equivalent cash value in Air Miles. I would have earned 2 Air Miles, or 21˘; instead I earned 100 Scene points, or $1.

Neither "move the needle" for my shopping decisions and preferences, and if I didn't already have a Scene card I probably wouldn't bother at all, but I found it super amusing that I earned so much more in the first shopping trip as compared to Air Miles.
Right, but that's just the push to get people to use the card and sway shopping habits. All of these points programs seem to peter out in value and usefulness as time goes on.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #50
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Realized at Safeway on the weekend that I hadn't put the Scene app on my phone. Turns out they have added 2-factor authentication without asking me to set it up, and the phone number on my account is my land line. Couldn't even access my account through their web page.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:44 AM   #51
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm really disliking Scene+.

I didn't have any points on my account, even though I spent over $200 at safeway over the week. Turns out that the cashier didn't offer to scan the coupon that gives you 1000 points or 100 points. When asked about it, apparently, they're not allowed to offer it, which is garbage.

Other than that, their points are for purchasing like 6 bottles of Kraft ranch dressing or 4 heads of cauliflower. So not very useful.

I'm extremely disappointed and would shop at another grocery store if it was close by like Safeway.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #52
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gotcha, when you said the whole year I assumed it was points as that seemed like too big a difference. Still, that isn't apples to apples, because you're comparing a Scene promotion to the Air Miles base offer. There were regularly Air Miles offers of similar value to this one, and now the base offer is 0, so I think it's really unlikely you're ending up better off here.

I agree the value proposition part isn't that big a deal (although I used to somewhat regularly get $150-200 worth of Air Miles on $200 spend on their Blue Friday offers pre-pandemic). But the gong show of actually being able to use the card conveniently is definitely annoying.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:37 AM   #53
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alternate plan, do your grocery shopping at Walmart and use the $50-100 a week you save from not shopping at Sobeys / Safeway on anything you want.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:44 AM   #54
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Alternate plan, do your grocery shopping at Walmart and use the $50-100 a week you save from not shopping at Sobeys / Safeway on anything you want.
But then you have to shop at Wal-Mart. Not worth it.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #55
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Life is too short to spend any of it in a Wal-Mart.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #56
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah I get that. But buying meat from Safeway or Co-op vs. Walmart or Superstore is like night and day difference. If I'm going to Safeway, to buy my meat and Walmart to buy everything else, I'm not saving much. Plus the added time and expense to shop at 2 different places, nobody got time for that.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:52 PM   #57
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Gotcha, when you said the whole year I assumed it was points as that seemed like too big a difference. Still, that isn't apples to apples, because you're comparing a Scene promotion to the Air Miles base offer. There were regularly Air Miles offers of similar value to this one, and now the base offer is 0, so I think it's really unlikely you're ending up better off here.
True there were Air Miles offers of similar value to what I 'earned' yesterday from Scene, but they were very very seldom relevant to my buying. Whereas yesterday, without modifying my buying pattern at all, I earned considerably more. It's just one anecdotal weekend shopping trip, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is about as good as it gets for the Scene program, but it really reinforced just how incredibly pointless and stupid the Air Miles program had become. I posted the following comment in "You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? Now with 3x more gears...":

Quote:
On the subject of what grinds my gears: Air Miles, overall. It was always a stupid program for the consumer. I stopped collecting years ago, after they announced they were going to introduce an expiration policy. When they announced miles would expire five years after they were collected I just redeemed what few miles I had on a flight, tossed the card in the garbage and never used it again. I had thousands of miles collected, but the redemption rates were so crap and the "earn" rate so incredibly minuscule that it wasn't even worth keeping the card in my wallet anymore. About 95% of all the miles I ever had (which I collected for about 10-15 years at that point) came from the 'bonus' miles I got when I signed up. On average I was otherwise earning a paltry ~120 miles per year. After five years I wouldn't even have been able to redeem for a waffle iron or some other dumb knickknack #### that I don't need; hooray...
It couldn't be more true.

To satiate my curiosity I double-checked my Scene account, and so far this year I've accrued 937 points ($9.37). The only place I shopped that offered Air Miles rewards was Safeway, and had I been collecting, based on the base earn rate of 1 mile/$20 spent/transaction (because in my experience I essentially never bought anything that earned me "bonus" Miles), I would have earned a scant 43 Miles ($4.51). Maybe this time next year I'd have had enough Air Miles to redeem for a $10 credit at the grocery store; golly-gee I sure was missing out, wasn't I?

That said: five bucks, ten bucks—what a waste of time either way.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:02 PM   #58
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Realized at Safeway on the weekend that I hadn't put the Scene app on my phone. Turns out they have added 2-factor authentication without asking me to set it up, and the phone number on my account is my land line. Couldn't even access my account through their web page.
I couldn't even remember my actual scene number, it's linked to my Cineplex account I guess but it never gives me the full number.

So first I had to get that sent to me, then ran into the 2 factor thing. The first time I didn't even see the last 2 digits of the number and just asked for the text not realizing it was my landline.

The website gave me the option to phone my landline so that worked in getting into my account to change the phone number.

Finally got the card on my phone.
Old 10-10-2022, 02:30 PM   #59
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scene works just just like it did at the self checkouts with Air Miles. Right down to the annoying part where it asks you to scan your Scene card right after the 1st item you scan. Mind you this was at a newly renovated Safeway location so there's probably a firmware rollout needed at older locations.

I too, was annoyed at the lack of base earn points with scene, but as Timun pointed out - the items I bought with points attached to them have earned me back way more than what I would have earned under the old Air Miles base earning program.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 12:13 AM   #60
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Scene works just just like it did at the self checkouts with Air Miles. Right down to the annoying part where it asks you to scan your Scene card right after the 1st item you scan. Mind you this was at a newly renovated Safeway location so there's probably a firmware rollout needed at older locations.

I too, was annoyed at the lack of base earn points with scene, but as Timun pointed out - the items I bought with points attached to them have earned me back way more than what I would have earned under the old Air Miles base earning program.
Were you able to scan the barcode at self checkout?