Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #41
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
A new survey from Nielsen found that while a quarter of global respondents are using online grocery ordering and 55% are willing to use it down the road, 61% reported that they still find grocery shopping at the store to be an “enjoyable and engaging experience.” Nearly as many—57%—said that retail grocery shopping is a “fun day out for the family.” (Um, really?)

According to this one survey a lot of people still enjoy grocery shopping, I know I do. And going to Costco is a real treat for me as I don’t shop there frequently. Usually when it’s busy at Costco they have all their tills open and the lines move fast too.”
That bolded part is most questionable to me. I do wonder what people are thinking when the parents have dragged the kids along for a shopping trip in general. Why doesn't one parent stay home with the kids? Such a weird decision to me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 10:16 AM   #42
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I enjoy the occasional grocery shopping trip when I get to go alone. No wife and kids. Throw in my headphones, listen to a podcast and kill 30-40 minutes.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:16 AM   #43
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That bolded part is most questionable to me. I do wonder what people are thinking when the parents have dragged the kids along for a shopping trip in general. Why doesn't one parent stay home with the kids? Such a weird decision to me.
Grocery shopping with kids is actually a pretty good idea and we did it all the time pre-covid. It is a good learning opportunity for kids to learn a bit about making healthy food choices and also about finances. You can do things like taking them down the snacks aisles and saying they have a budget of $5 to pick snacks. They can either buy one box of $4 cookies or maybe 2 items that are on sale instead.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 10:20 AM   #44
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Grocery shopping with kids is actually a pretty good idea and we did it all the time pre-covid. It is a good learning opportunity for kids to learn a bit about making healthy food choices and also about finances. You can do things like taking them down the snacks aisles and saying they have a budget of $5 to pick snacks. They can either buy one box of $4 cookies or maybe 2 items that are on sale instead.
Also you can teach them about cost per unit versus cost and how buying larger quantities is often cheaper if you use them at the same rate.

My wife when we first met didn’t know that every price tag has the cost per 100g or kg or ml on it to make comparison easy. I was aware since I was 5.

When I did the grocery shopping I alternated taking kids and it was fun. Now we just order for store pickup.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:23 AM   #45
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Also, you can tell them to stop running up and down the aisles annoying people, to please try to be a bit quieter and stop yelling about everything, to stop hitting their sister / brother, that no they can’t have chocolate-sugar bombs for breakfast lunch and dinner, or the donuts, or the 15 boxes of cookies, or…

Taking kids to the grocery store is the height of annoying haha
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 10:45 AM   #46
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Also, you can tell them to stop running up and down the aisles annoying people, to please try to be a bit quieter and stop yelling about everything, to stop hitting their sister / brother, that no they can’t have chocolate-sugar bombs for breakfast lunch and dinner, or the donuts, or the 15 boxes of cookies, or…

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #47
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agree. I wouldn't call it a big family outing but having kids involved in the food decisions at different ages sure makes sense to me.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-02-2022, 12:48 PM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

I find in a supermarket like the Super Store you are far likelier to be annoyed by people than kids. The sheer amount of people that just stop in the middle of the isle and chat with their wife or siblings while you are trying to get past is mind numbing and don't get me started with the price checks because of a $0.50 discrepancy that always seems to happen to the lineup I choose.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #49
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our son loves to go to the grocery store. He will help push the cart, or ride on the front of it.

Not sure what hooligans you guys see at the store, but I can't think of the last time I thought "you should have left your kid at home".
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 01:11 PM   #50
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
But sprinting about in a grocery store is annoying too. Other people don’t want to step or even jump out of your way cause you’re in a hurry.
Most people actually enjoy grocery shopping and there’s a comfort associated with it. You are getting your daily food that you need to sustain yourself with.
Just stay out of the way an no one gets hurt.

And don't be the jackasses who block the aisle with the cart. Other people need to get by, be aware of that and park your cart accordingly.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 01:14 PM   #51
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I find in a supermarket like the Super Store you are far likelier to be annoyed by people than kids. The sheer amount of people that just stop in the middle of the isle and chat with their wife or siblings while you are trying to get past is mind numbing
And here we've found the people who find grocery shopping an enjoyable family experience, and the rest of us.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:34 PM   #52
Knut

Exp:

I take the bullet and do the grocery shopping in our house because i stick to the list. I strategically know where everything is and am in and out as quick as possible.

For my wife grocery shopping/costco is an outing and everything must be looked at like you are in an ancient artifacts museum. So i guess i should say that my wife grinds my gears.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 02:18 PM   #53
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Our son loves to go to the grocery store. He will help push the cart, or ride on the front of it.

Not sure what hooligans you guys see at the store, but I can't think of the last time I thought "you should have left your kid at home".
my son and i do the grocery shopping on the weekends. at superstore at 7am so the store is pretty quiet still. he LOVES pushing the buggy and getting the stuff out at the till and then bagging it up. the cashiers always comment on how i've got a great helper.

Knut - i'm with you - i've got my list and nothing will be added unless i know for sure that we need it at home. my wife on the other hand....well... let's just say that's why i do almost all of the grocery shopping! ha!
Old 06-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #54
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I find in a supermarket like the Super Store you are far likelier to be annoyed by people than kids. The sheer amount of people that just stop in the middle of the isle and chat with their wife or siblings while you are trying to get past is mind numbing and don't get me started with the price checks because of a $0.50 discrepancy that always seems to happen to the lineup I choose.
Yeah, I’m actually just joking around. But leave it to this thread and CP at large to ensure this is checked at all costs.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:36 PM   #55
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 06-02-2022, 06:40 PM   #56
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Shopping in big box stores of any kind is soul-destroying. The inhuman scale, the lines, the pervasive atmosphere of desperation. The whole business model is lower prices in exchange for a worse experience in all other ways. I get depressed just setting foot in a Costco, Superstore, or Walmart. I’m glad that our division of domestic chores means I don’t have to.

Spoiler!
Grocery shopping insists upon itself
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:43 PM   #57
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Maybe they have one vehicle, maybe they are going somewhere after, maybe the kids enjoy it, maybe the parents enjoy it.

You guys think of some weird crap to be annoyed up.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 09:14 PM   #58
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Maybe they have one vehicle, maybe they are going somewhere after, maybe the kids enjoy it, maybe the parents enjoy it.

You guys think of some weird crap to be annoyed up.
Now facial hair, that’s a sensible thing to dislike!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:21 PM   #59
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like there is more gravel on the roads. Did street sweeping day coincide with opposite day?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #60
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I loved going grocery shopping with my parents. And I actually enjoy taking my daughter, strolling around the veg and blabbing away to her. If you can get out of the ‘why are we wasting so much time and spending so much money’ mindset, it’s not a bad place to be.

Now, it’s hard to turn a blind eye to the MASSIVE PROBLEM OF EXCESSIVE PLASTIC PACKAGING ON EVERY PIECE OF PRODUCE IN SUPERSTORE, so that’s a bummer.