Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2022, 12:13 PM   #41
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Twitter has a near monopoly over reporters and media - so despite its low volume of users - it is (along with reddit) a strong way to push narratives into the mainstream.
Exactly. I'm not going to instagram or tiktok for breaking news coverage. I go straight to twitter because that's where the reporters are at. I'm not even sure why you'd try to compare twitter to an instant messaging app.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #42
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

am i ever kicking myself that i did not go $10 higher on my bid to own this.

as far as i am concerned, some needs to own twitter, and who ever does own will likely want the algorithm's skewed to support their personal slant. i fail to understand why people are up in arms about him owning this platform.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:24 PM   #43
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Seems like a dumb move for someone that wants to sell electronic cars
Owning a media company has always been a long term play for billionaires.

It allows you to manipulate the public into supporting things that increase your subsidies and decrease your taxes. You ever notice how Musk fights for his EV credits despite being a “libertarian”. Musk is looking out for Musk and for people that buy his products. Owning a media company seems like a good way to do this.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:24 PM   #44
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodsdomd View Post
The fact that one of the main global communication tools was bought by a single individual because he didn't feel that it aligned with his beliefs should be very concerning.
Previously on the culture war. Conservatives say Twitter shouldn't be banning them free speech is paramount. Libs: Twitter is a private company they can do whatever they want that's how capitalism works.

Musk buys Twitter. Libs: our democracy is threatened how dare a billionaire do that.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 12:27 PM   #45
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Owning a media company has always been a long term play for billionaires.

It allows you to manipulate the public into supporting things that increase your subsidies and decrease your taxes. You ever notice how Musk fights for his EV credits despite being a “libertarian”. Musk is looking out for Musk and for people that buy his products. Owning a media company seems like a good way to do this.
Musk does not fight for credits he wants all of them gone.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:30 PM   #46
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Musk does not fight for credits he wants all of them gone.
That’s not true.

He does not want credits that he has been excluded from or credits that favour union assembled vehicles.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:34 PM   #47
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That’s not true.
Yes it is. Musk said:
Quote:
I’m literally saying get rid of all [EV] subsidies. But also for oil and gas
Can't be more clear.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:37 PM   #48
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
as far as i am concerned, some needs to own twitter, and who ever does own will likely want the algorithm's skewed to support their personal slant. i fail to understand why people are up in arms about him owning this platform.
People are mad because they want their billionaire to influence the algorithm, dammit.

Since the beginning of time, news media has been owned by some rich a-hole, who inevitably influences what is covered and how, to fit their needs. Whether you love him or hate him, Musk is just another billionaire in a long line.

In the end, I think this will be a big nothingburger, and Twitter will most likely be pretty much the same cesspool of chaos it's always been.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 12:41 PM   #49
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Musk is rapidly becoming a classic depiction of a Bond movie villain. I never liked his public persona for the ridiculously outlandish statements and for how ruthlessly he rules his companies (according to publicly known information and some personal anecdotes of my best friend who used to work for him as one of the lead metal engineers at SpaceX). But you've got to admit, he is not a boring guy. I love how he consistently riles everyone's feathers the wrong way and then enjoys the discomfort that ensues.

Old 04-25-2022, 12:41 PM   #50
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes it is. Musk said:

Can't be more clear.
After being subsidized for years and in the face of legislation that excluded him from subsidies
Old 04-25-2022, 12:43 PM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a little curious what his plans are. Is it to make money? Seems growth is probably not going to be a big impact area. Increase ads? Will he sell it after he boosts its value(somehow?) I'm just wondering what the end game is, short of the control aspect. All of his other ventures kind make sense(well, not the Boring Company), but I don't really know what his plan is on this one. It's certainly going to be a headache. Controlling a platform that hosts all of your competitors will mean scrutiny, and the SEC are already not big fans of his.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Musk is rapidly becoming a classic depiction of a Bond movie villain. I never liked his public persona for the ridiculously outlandish statements and for how ruthlessly he rules his companies (according to publicly known information and some personal anecdotes of my best friend who used to work for him as one of the lead metal engineers at SpaceX). But you've got to admit, he is not a boring guy. I love how he consistently riles everyone's feathers the wrong way and then enjoys the discomfort that ensues.
But he is.
Spoiler!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 12:48 PM   #53
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
... Controlling a platform that hosts all of your competitors will mean scrutiny, and the SEC are already not big fans of his.
Almost every large monopoly broken up by the US Government had benefited form a break-up immensely by growing the value of the resulting partitions exponentially. I doubt that's a concern for Twitter at all. If Musk is not bluffing, Twitter will become a true open-speech platform, which would attract much much more traffic, users and advertising revenues. And if it's broken in pieces eventually, each piece will have a larger value.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:54 PM   #54
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Previously on the culture war. Conservatives say Twitter shouldn't be banning them free speech is paramount. Libs: Twitter is a private company they can do whatever they want that's how capitalism works.

Musk buys Twitter. Libs: our democracy is threatened how dare a billionaire do that.
I was talking strictly from a business standpoint...it's mostly "lefties" buying Tesla's
Old 04-25-2022, 12:54 PM   #55
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
After being subsidized for years and in the face of legislation that excluded him from subsidies
You are talking about EV credits which apply equally to all auto makers there is no special treatment given to Tesla.
Quote:
If Musk is not bluffing, Twitter will become a true open-speech platform, which would attract much much more traffic, users and advertising revenues. And if it's broken in pieces eventually, each piece will have a larger value.
Musk will make Twitter, which to be honest isn't high praise the platform is a mess.
Quote:
I was talking strictly from a business standpoint...it's mostly "lefties" buying Tesla's
You sure? Don't know if the "Prius crowd" is mainly buying Tesla's seems like a car people simply want regardless.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:54 PM   #56
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Almost every large monopoly broken up by the US Government had benefited form a break-up immensely by growing the value of the resulting partitions exponentially. I doubt that's a concern for Twitter at all. If Musk is not bluffing, Twitter will become a true open-speech platform, which would attract much much more traffic, users and advertising revenues. And if it's broken in pieces eventually, each piece will have a larger value.
I think people don’t understand what unmoderated free speech looks like. It has never actually been a thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 01:00 PM   #57
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are talking about EV credits which apply equally to all auto makers there is no special treatment given to Tesla.

Musk will make Twitter, which to be honest isn't high praise the platform is a mess.

You sure? Don't know if the "Prius crowd" is mainly buying Tesla's seems like a car people simply want regardless.
100% sure...like is this a serious question?

People buying electric vehicles are more likely to lean left....by a lot
Old 04-25-2022, 01:01 PM   #58
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it becomes a true free for all - it will devolve into the same as all free speech havens. Filled with hate and the casuals and advertisers will leave.

I can't think of any 'free speech' haven that hasn't become a cesspool in no time unless you make it exclusive or have people pay to get access.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 01:02 PM   #59
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
100% sure...like is this a serious question?

People buying electric vehicles are more likely to lean left....by a lot
Could be, citation needed. Suppose that is true, how? Musk is not exactly aligned with the corporate left and the left in general why would devoted leftists buy his products?
Old 04-25-2022, 01:02 PM   #60
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
His desire to get rid of bots and ads is good.

His misunderstanding of the concept of free speech, and literally everything else about the man, is bad.
Can you please explain more why you think he is “bad”? I wasn’t aware this was a thing.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post: