Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2022, 10:55 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
While I don’t disagree with your entire post, I highly doubt Musk is spending millions of dollars to buy Twitter so trump can get re-elected.

Seems a weird theory to conspire.
He's not a Trump supporter anyway so not very likely. I'm no Musk supporter (I give him credit for growing Tesla but he's kind of an idiot at times) but it sounds like he's a moderate which is where I fall and I think there's definitely improvements that can be made to preserve free speech which has been taken away to an extent by cancel culture without turning it into a haven for people with extreme views. The reality is that Twitter is already full of hate and toxic people so there's nowhere to go but up.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:55 AM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Guy supported the freedom convoy outright. I don't want his views anywhere near me. His 'war on bots' is pretty scary as he's sure to end up meddling
Do you want SkyNet?? Because this is how you get SkyNet!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #23
Dodsdomd
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The fact that one of the main global communication tools was bought by a single individual because he didn't feel that it aligned with his beliefs should be very concerning.
Dodsdomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:59 AM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodsdomd View Post
The fact that one of the main global communication tools was bought by a single individual because he didn't feel that it aligned with his beliefs should be very concerning.
This is a good point and I'm hoping he truly is a moderate as he proclaims.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:59 AM   #25
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
While I don’t disagree with your entire post, I highly doubt Musk is spending millions of dollars to buy Twitter so trump can get re-elected.

Seems a weird theory to conspire.
Why not? The guy clearly hates the current government (or really government in general) and this "woke" thinking. He's a businessman and will do whatever it takes to further his business and his line of thinking. I'm not saying he's doing it solely for that sole reason, but I guarantee you it's a factor. His whole idea of doing this to further free speech (aka, not blocking misinformation that he stands behind) sort of reinforces that point. It doesn't even have to be a "conspiracy theory" to understand why he's doing this.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:00 AM   #26
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Twitter used to be owned by investment groups, including Vangaurd, Blackrock & Morgan Stanley. Not exactly champions of freedom of expression.

https://money.cnn.com/quote/sharehol...=institutional
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 11:02 AM   #27
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Soon you'll be able to tweet with your thoughts thanks to NeuraLink.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:02 AM   #28
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Twitter teetering towards takeover transaction should have been the thread title you missed a massive opportunity.

Hmm… to add to the alliteration:

“Twitter Teetering Towards Takeover Transaction by Tech Titan”
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #29
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I, too, prefer it when our monolithic institutions are owned by a Consortium of anonymous billionaires, each with their own impenetrably complex web of global interests.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #30
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I, too, prefer it when our monolithic institutions are owned by a Consortium of anonymous billionaires, each with their own impenetrably complex web of global interests.
So basically every public company?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:11 AM   #31
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted this in the other thread, but:

• Twitter is the 15th biggest social media network by community, barely beating Reddit and Quora. I think people over-estimate its global impact.

• If immense power by one voice is a concern with Twitter, how do people feel about 4 out of the Top 5 social media communities being controlled by Meta/Zuckerberg?

• Rightly or wrongly, the media has always been owned by a few elite rich people. Whether it's Rupert Murdoch owning Newscorp, Bezos owning the Washington Post, the Sulzberger family owning the NYTimes...there's always a rich guy at the top. Why is this instance any different?
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 11:12 AM   #32
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
His desire to get rid of bots and ads is good.

His misunderstanding of the concept of free speech, and literally everything else about the man, is bad.
Unless his plan is to just light money on fire - I'm not sure I see much of a business model for twitter without ads. I'm not sure how many people would pay to use twitter. I guess you could go the YouTube model and spam ads all over the place in hopes people pay to get rid of them... but that's not really getting rid of ads.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:12 AM   #33
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

aa anonymous consortium better than a single billionaires whose stated goals are to allow anything and everything to posted in the name of 'free speech'

Twitter is a tire fire as it is.... with Musk's proposed philosophy it will undoubtedly get worse.

its designed for the most outrageous comments to be rewarded. One can only imagine how bad it will get without any oversight at all
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:15 AM   #34
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I posted this in the other thread, but:

• Twitter is the 15th biggest social media network by community, barely beating Reddit and Quora. I think people over-estimate its global impact.

• If immense power by one voice is a concern with Twitter, how do people feel about 4 out of the Top 5 social media communities being controlled by Meta/Zuckerberg?

• Rightly or wrongly, the media has always been owned by a few elite rich people. Whether it's Rupert Murdoch owning Newscorp, Bezos owning the Washington Post, the Sulzberger family owning the NYTimes...there's always a rich guy at the top. Why is this instance any different?
Twitter has a near monopoly over reporters and media - so despite its low volume of users - it is (along with reddit) a strong way to push narratives into the mainstream.

Even if you look at just hockey news - if you want to get access to the media you go on twitter. They aren't breaking news on facebook, youtube, instagram or tiktok (although seeing Elliotte Friedman break a trade doing a tiktok dance may be the future).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 11:16 AM   #35
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Facebook currently with more active users than YouTube actually blows my mind. Heck, even felt like Instagram was overtaking it.

Really seemed like fb was going stale and less people were actively using it.

Twitter is followed more than it is used, I would say. But anybody who is somebody has an audience there.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #36
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t like Elon. But I really don’t like Larry Fink. If ownership is being judged on humanity, Elon is a massive, massive upgrade.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:30 AM   #37
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your experience on Twitter is a reflection of the people/accounts you follow. If you see tons of arguments its because you're following accounts that get into arguments, etc.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #38
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a dumb move for someone that wants to sell electronic cars
Old 04-25-2022, 11:44 AM   #39
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm sure he'll be just as competent at missing deadlines in the social media space.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:49 AM   #40
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
So basically every public company?

Could you imagine if billionaires secretly conspired to assert dominance over the rest of us? They'd be unstoppable!